“Very Disappointed”

Columba Hotel, Inverness
Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Inverness
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We stayed in the Columba Hotel a few years ago and thought it was excellent, but on our trip a few weeks ago we were very disappointed. The Hotel is very tired, our room was certainly not up to 4 star standard,our bathroom was very grotty,shelves for toiletries were rusted and shower door was not easy to use.The food also was not up to the standard we had on our last visit,salads were not fresh and melon at breakfast was certainly not.My husband ordered smoked fish for breakfast on our last day and it took about 20 mins to arrive,the staff were very apologetic,there had been some mix up in the kitchen.
The staff were very nice and helpful,mainly Eastern European,not enough staff in the Dining Room, staff there were rushed off their feet.
I do like to give an honest opinion, its not really in my nature to complain, but we were very, very disappointed with our stay.
I know that at this time of year the rates are very good, but if it hadn't been for the 'grey headed' customers the Hotel would find it hard during the winter months.

Room Tip: A room with a view over the river would be excellent, our room was on the side and had no view at al...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for your reveiw following a stay a few weeks ago. I am pleased that you found the team helpful and friendly, I will share your kind comments with them. I am sorry if you found this trip disappointing and fully take on board your comments and will correct and necessary actions. I do hope we can welcome you back on another stay. Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback. With warm regards, Amy

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Stayed for one night on a very good rate for Inverness. Being realistic, we didn't expect anything too much and we were not disappointed. The hotel is in a lovely spot, close to shops, bars etc and on first impressions seemed really nice. However we were given a room to the rear of the hotel. It looked out on the rubbish bins, run down flats and we had the thud of a heavy outside door bang every now and again which literally made our room vibrate.The room was good size, nice extras like an iron and safe but had a really uncomfortable bed.
Breakfast was self service and although we were down at 8 o'clock the "hot" buffet was not very hot at all which was very disappointing. The cold buffet had a good choice though.
Adequate for one night is about as good as I can offer on this hotel for the room we were allocated.The hotel did not appear busy and I assume we were allocated the room based on the price we paid. To me it would have made better sense to give us a better quality room which would have left us impressed and keen to return, however I think we would be reluctant to stay again.

Room Tip: Avoid room 124 if you can
1  Thank Bank66
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for your review following a stay with us. I am pleased that you enjoyed some aspects of your stay and will share this with my team. I am sorry that we did not meet all your expecatations. We allocate rooms on types, for example double, twin, single etc. and not rate. Unfortuantely being in a city centre we do have other buildings around us and we find that the River view rooms do get pre-booked in advance. I am sorry if your found breakfast lacking and will share this with my team. I hope we can welcome you back, we have many different views and some stunning ones of the Castle, so perhaps when you are next coming to Inverness just ask to see if we have them available. With best regards, Amy and Team Columba.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights at the Columba.We were very Dissapointed the hotel looks very nice but once we stayed a night.The room was cold the shower dripped all night .my wife woke up through the night complaining that something was jagging into her side which could only have been a spring in the mattress. We went out shopping after our first nights stay and when we arrived back the Chambermaid advised us they had not serviced the room for us.it was only after 3 o'clock in the afternoon.The breakfast was cold because the hot breakfast is lying in bane Marie obviously it's going to go cold won't be staying at this hotel next time we are in Inverness.I would also like to add that the cup I was going to use for my cup of tea was dirty and when I was changing it the Waiter asked if he could help me to which I replied just changing my cup as this one is dirty the Waiter said that's because our Dishwasher is Broken. I am afraid that's not good enough I. My book.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am sorry if we did not meet all your expectations and your feedback will be shared to see what improvement we can make. There can be no excuses for any shortfall and please accpet my most sincere apologies if you found this to be the case. I hope we ma have the opportunity to welcome you back. With kind regards, Amy and Team Columba

Reviewed 31 March 2014

This is a really nice hotel to stay at. The staff are very friendly and are attentive. Breakfast was nice. Room was clean and comfortable. Will recommend hotel and will certainly be staying here again. Many thanks for making our stay a happy one :-)

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest, WOW what a lovely review - and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us. My team will be over the moon at your comments and I hope we can see you back soon. With war regards, Amy and Columba Team

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Stayed at the Columba on a recent visit to Inverness, great location, nice bar which had live music on the Saturday evening, nice breakfast and friendly staff. Downside was location of our room which was just outside the lift and next to fire doors leading to corridors and other rooms resulting in their being constant banging every time these closed. This area was also where domestic staff congregated with bed linen in the morning and where staff delivered the complimentary bottles of wine to bedrooms from so we could here the clanking of glasses as well as the banging of the doors. On our second night we were rudely awakened at 4am by the emptying of bottles into the recycle bin from a neighbouring building whilst i appreciate this is not the fault of the Columba the fact i could not close my bedroom window was unhelpful.
I did report the noise on the Friday we arrived and again when we checked out on the Sunday and we were told 'sorry'.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest, Thank you for your reveiw following a recent stay with us. I was pleased that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay with us and will share your kind words with my team. I am sorry if you were disturbed by noise and will immediately see what I can do. I am sorry if other noise from outside kept you awake and will also see what I can do. Thank you again for your comments and I really hope we have the chance to welcome you back to the columba. With best regards, Amy and Columba Team.

Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a bargain 2 night easy breaks deal. Room nice and clean but very hot!!! Yes in March. Staff very helpful and provided a fan. All staff were nice and friendly and in particular Inga at reception who was lovely. Would stay again

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear Guest, Many thanks for your review following your recent stay with us. I was delighted you enjoyed your stay and your feedback will be shared with all my team, especailly Inga. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon. With kindrest regards, Amy and Columba Team.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

We decided to book a two night stay after a hotel connections offer came through and the fact the Aberdeen to inverness train was good value. The room number 210 was of an acceptable standard but backed on to an alleyway that became very noisy at closing time of mcnabbs with rubbish and bottles being put on to the bins . Around two o'clock in the morning we heard shouting and two adult males could be seen scaling the near by wall into the next premises . On the Sunday morning the hotel had to be evacuated due to a fire alarm going off and many of us left down the nearest fire escape to the back of the building. At no point did we see a member of staff at the back of the building and people just started to re enter after the alarm went off. Within an hour or so letters came through our doors apologising for the alarm but I would say the lack of staff to correctly control an evacuation was lacking with people just wondering away and no role calls should have the fire brigade been called. The hotel was ok with the eating area good and staff very attentive and mcnabbs was also very nice .

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for your review. I was pleased that you found the team looked after you, that you enjoyed the food and the bistro. I am sorry that you did not enjoy all aspects of your stay though. Unfortunately, I can not control the noise from other buildings as this was not from our building given the location of your room. It was very unfortunate that the alarms were activated and as the situation was quickly dealt with the roll call was uncessary, as it was quickly determine a guest had raised the alarm falsley. Most of our guests make they way to the assembly point as indicated on our emergency plans procedure in our rooms and I am sorry if we were delayed in reaching yourself. I fully take on board your comments and do hope that given the occasion you will return as to stay with us. With best regards, Amy