“Not for those with pet allergies!”

Columba Hotel, Inverness
Ranked #26 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
“Not for those with pet allergies!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

We stayed at the Columba on the 2nd and 3rd of May. There is a beautiful view of the castle and the river Ness and it is only two minutes walk to the city centre. The staff were very welcoming and the staff in the restaurant for breakfast were very friendly and extremely hard working. The decor is a little dated, however, it appears the hotel is in the process of updating this.

My wife took the same sever allergic reaction she suffers when she has been around dogs, when we were there and the only thing we could put it down to was that there had been a dog in the room in which he stayed prior to our arrival. Upon check out, when we queried the hotels policy in relation to pets, the receptionist explained that there were only four rooms which they allowed pets to stay in and these were all on the first floor.

We explained that, that could not be the case as my sister-in-law had stayed in room 324 with a black Labrador on the 2nd of May, her response was "No! That's not right." After us insisting that we were right, she explained that my wife's allergic reaction was as a result of pet hair which must have come from a previous guests clothes. One has to ask how thoroughly the rooms are cleaned if that is the case.

Had it not been for my wife's allergic reaction and the subsequent dismissiveness of the receptionist, our stay would have been pleasant.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank PaulNoble
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Guest, Many thanks for your reveiw following a recent stay with us. I was pleased that you enjoyed most aspects fo your stay and your very kind words on my Restaurant team will be shared. I am sorry if your wife suffered an allergic reaction, we do try where possible to keep certain rooms for pets and will look in to your valuable comments. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again. With best regards, Amy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Nice view to castle and river. No parking facilities. The restaurant was closed so had to use bar with no maximum spend for food. This was a great benefit as the food was great but early closing . Not a 4 star and a bit tired.

Room Tip: Get a room to face the castle as at night the lights are switched on.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Guest, thank you for your recent review following your stay with us. I was pleased you enjoyed your stay and that you enjoyed our food. We do close our main restuarant and open our bistro when we have few residents that have taken DBB status as we feel this offers a better dining experience. I fully take on board your comments and I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon. With warm regards, Amy and Team
Longside
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Thankfully got a good deal for the hotel. The location is first class but the bedrooms are tired looking and in need of refurbishment. Everything is so dingy looking. The bonus was we had a river view bedroom. Would not have liked to pay more for this hotel. Owing to health reasons I requested a room on low floor for 2 of our friends. They were allocated a 3rd floor back bedroom at the furthest away corner. No way could they be allocated another room apparently. Breakfasts are adequate but on the Monday no brown bread, croissants or black pudding. They had ran out & it was the holiday. Laughable!! We were all very disappointed in general as we have stayed before and there is a remarkable deterioration especially in the bedrooms.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest, Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. I was pleased that some aspects you enjoyed and I fully take on board your comments and will ensure we take action where necessary. I do hope we can welcome you back soon. With best regards, Amy and team.
Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

I stayed here recently and needed somewhere for a stop over.

It was a pleasant stay. The scenery in front of the hotel is nice, which made the stay even more pleasant.

The bathroom is large. The room itself is large too.

No complaints.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you much for your reveiw following your stay with us. My team are I are delighted you had a good time and I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon. With warm regards, Amy and Team Columba
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend came here last year in a groupon deal. The hotel was pleasant with nice staff. As when ever I'm away staying at a hotel I use it for somewhere to sleep and to investigate from.

Hotel room was clean and stayed clean due to daily housekeeping. The room was spacious and comfortable however the room we had was facing the inside of square layout. This meant that the view we had was of the roof, of what I presume was the kitchen, and the rooms directly across. Not great but there is always a chance this could happen and I had been very lucky not to have it before. This was irrelevant due to the lovely views up to the castle/council building and also up and down the river, as soon as you leave the hotel.

The small kettle provided on the room did not work however this was a minor annoyance. We did not say to any staff however I am sure they would have changed it.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you so much for your review following your stay with us. I was delighted that you had a good time. I am sorry that there was an issue with your kettle. I do hope we have the great pleasure of welcomg you back very soon. With warm regards, Amy
Camrose, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Quirky hotel with uneven floors and crooked hallways. Interesting. Bed was comfortable and it was clean but we couldn't get the room to warm up even with the hot water knob all the way to high. And the bathroom was an ice cube. I called the front desk but they just told me to adjust the knob which I already had done. It was okay but not one of my favourite places to stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Guest, Many thanks for your review following your recent stay with us. I was delighted that overall you enjoyed staying but please do accept my most sincere apologies if you were cold. I will address this with my team, as we should of offered you an extra heater. I do hope this will not deter you from returning to us and thank you for your valuable feedback. With warm regards, Amy and Team Columba
Jacksonville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

2 days was just not enough!! Loved Inverness, the hotel Columba is beautiful, the staff was super helpful, Brian the manager was wonderful!! He took care of everything always making sure we had everything we needed. Our room was very spacious and clean, the water pressure in the shower wasn't the best, but no big deal.
The location is also very good, easy to get to and easy walk to city center.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you so much for your lovely review following your recent stay with us. I was delighted that you had a good time and my team looked after you, and I will pass on your kind words, especially to Bryan. I do hope we have the great pleasure of welcomg you back soon. With warm regards, Amy and Team Columba.