“Very enjoyable stay”

Ranked #26 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Very enjoyable stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night last week and from the moment I checked in to check out this place was great. Checked in very efficiently with all the information provided by the receptionist, the room was realy nice. Had a big comfy bed, plenty fluffy towels, big widescreen tv, large well appointed bathroom and of course the lovely view of the river and castle. We decided to go for a wee drink. We were going to go into town but deceided to give macnabs a try. Wecwere greeted by a young man behind the bar and after taing our drinks order he said he would take them over to us if we were to take a seat. When he came over with them he made conversation with us asking what teason our visit for inverness was for. He also had good knowledge of the area advising us where to go for a night out. The following morning we went down for breskfast and we were delighted with tbe hot buffet on offer which was well stocked and hot. You could go back and fore as many times as we wanted and we were offered ore tea or coffee by the pleasant waiting staff who didnt seem stressed out at all even though the restaurant was nearly full.
Overall a good stay in a hotel wirh character which is very rare these days as a lot of hotels now adays are very clinical and all the same. But not this one. We will definitely be back to the columba on our return to Inverness.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear Guest, WOW, thank you so much for your review and I am delighted you had a good stay with us. Your very kind words will be shared with my team and it really is great to have the team mentioned in this way. I do hope we have the pleasure to welcome you back soon. With warm regards, Amy and Team Columba

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Very nice, very clean room. Good shower and lovely big fluffy towels. The breakfast was very good. Staff were really helpful and pleasant. The dining area is huge and well laid out.

We had our evening meal in the bar, the food was lovely and staff were friendly and quick.

The only minus with our stay was the bed being rather creaky but it wouldn't put me off going back there as everything else was so good.

We went a walk along the river as it was a beautiful morning. It's in a lovely spot. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rachel M
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for your reveiw following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and your kind words will be shared with my team. I look forward to welcoming you back soon. With warm regards, Amy and Team Columba
Laurencekirk, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

The excellent riverside location is definitely a plus point, however, I don't think I would stay here again. My husband and I booked a last minute night away at the Columba and on first impressions I thought we had bagged a real bargain as the entrance, reception and bar areas are all very smart and modern. Our room was small and has a tiny television which is quite unusual in most hotels nowadays. There was also a draft coming in the old sash window as it was not fully closing which prompted a visit to reception and the duty manager coming to close the window. Even after this, I was still aware of a draft. There was also an intermittent buzzing noise coming from somewhere which was very irritating but for me the most annoying thing was the thin cream roman blind which hung in front of the window. The blind did not block out any light which resulted in a very disturbed nights sleep for me. Breakfast was okay but nothing special.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest, Many thanks for your reveiw following your recent stay with us. I am sorry if you were disturbed by a draft from the window and will look into this immeidately. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcomg you back, we do have many different room types and styles to offer. When you are next visiting call us direct and we can see if we can upgrade your room type for you. With best regards, Amy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

We stayed at the Columba on the 2nd and 3rd of May. There is a beautiful view of the castle and the river Ness and it is only two minutes walk to the city centre. The staff were very welcoming and the staff in the restaurant for breakfast were very friendly and extremely hard working. The decor is a little dated, however, it appears the hotel is in the process of updating this.

My wife took the same sever allergic reaction she suffers when she has been around dogs, when we were there and the only thing we could put it down to was that there had been a dog in the room in which he stayed prior to our arrival. Upon check out, when we queried the hotels policy in relation to pets, the receptionist explained that there were only four rooms which they allowed pets to stay in and these were all on the first floor.

We explained that, that could not be the case as my sister-in-law had stayed in room 324 with a black Labrador on the 2nd of May, her response was "No! That's not right." After us insisting that we were right, she explained that my wife's allergic reaction was as a result of pet hair which must have come from a previous guests clothes. One has to ask how thoroughly the rooms are cleaned if that is the case.

Had it not been for my wife's allergic reaction and the subsequent dismissiveness of the receptionist, our stay would have been pleasant.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank PaulNoble
Dear Guest, Many thanks for your reveiw following a recent stay with us. I was pleased that you enjoyed most aspects fo your stay and your very kind words on my Restaurant team will be shared. I am sorry if your wife suffered an allergic reaction, we do try where possible to keep certain rooms for pets and will look in to your valuable comments. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again. With best regards, Amy

Travellers are raving about these Inverness hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Nice view to castle and river. No parking facilities. The restaurant was closed so had to use bar with no maximum spend for food. This was a great benefit as the food was great but early closing . Not a 4 star and a bit tired.

Room Tip: Get a room to face the castle as at night the lights are switched on.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Guest, thank you for your recent review following your stay with us. I was pleased you enjoyed your stay and that you enjoyed our food. We do close our main restuarant and open our bistro when we have few residents that have taken DBB status as we feel this offers a better dining experience. I fully take on board your comments and I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon. With warm regards, Amy and Team
Longside
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Thankfully got a good deal for the hotel. The location is first class but the bedrooms are tired looking and in need of refurbishment. Everything is so dingy looking. The bonus was we had a river view bedroom. Would not have liked to pay more for this hotel. Owing to health reasons I requested a room on low floor for 2 of our friends. They were allocated a 3rd floor back bedroom at the furthest away corner. No way could they be allocated another room apparently. Breakfasts are adequate but on the Monday no brown bread, croissants or black pudding. They had ran out & it was the holiday. Laughable!! We were all very disappointed in general as we have stayed before and there is a remarkable deterioration especially in the bedrooms.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest, Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. I was pleased that some aspects you enjoyed and I fully take on board your comments and will ensure we take action where necessary. I do hope we can welcome you back soon. With best regards, Amy and team.
Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

I stayed here recently and needed somewhere for a stop over.

It was a pleasant stay. The scenery in front of the hotel is nice, which made the stay even more pleasant.

The bathroom is large. The room itself is large too.

No complaints.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you much for your reveiw following your stay with us. My team are I are delighted you had a good time and I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon. With warm regards, Amy and Team Columba