“Bespoke can mean good value”

Columba Hotel, Inverness
Ranked #27 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Stornoway, United Kingdom
“Bespoke can mean good value”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Wanting a hotel reasonably close to the City Centre I opted to stay in the Columba Hotel and was pleasantly surprised. The hotel combines both old and new and is decorated in a tasteful manner. The welcome was exceptional and the level of service good. The rooms were comfortable and I slept well getting up to the option of a very large breakfast. I stayed on my own on this occassion but would return with my wife. Many thanks

Room Tip: Just ask and they will attempt to accomodate most requests
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you very much for your reveiw following your stay with us in May. I was delighted you enjoyed your time and will share your kind words with my team. We look forward to being able to welcome you back soon with your wife this time, we have some great offers on so give us a call for the Best rates. With warm regards, Amy and Team Columba

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Hotel Columba was very tired and shabby looking, not 4 star by any means.
Bedroom was small, and the bed saggy and creaky. Windows were old draughty single glazed sash windows.
The breakfast was dismal, it looked like everything on the hot buffet had been sitting there for several hours. The "selection of cheeses and cold meats " were 3 slices of cheddar dried out at the edges, and a few slices of sweaty cheap salami. Really poor.
Staff all looked bored.
I suspect it survives on coach tours staying one night.
The only good thing was the location.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. I am sorry if we did not meet your expecatations of us. I will share this feedback with my team and ensure we are correcting any services or products accordingly as we strive to ensue we meet and indeed exceed all our guests expecations. With best regards, Amy

Travellers are raving about these Inverness hotels

Brisbane Australia
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed here one night but totally enjoyed it. The hotel is looking a bit worn in places however the rooms were clean and the bed comfortable. Situated right on the river ness we had a view to the castle and were a short walk over the bridge to the centre of town. A little pricey for what it is.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest, Thank you for your review following your stay with us. I was so pleased that you enjoyed your room and it was clean and comfortable. Your kind words will be shared with my team. I do hope we have the chance to wlecome you back for a longer stay. With best regards, Amy and Team Columba
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I was pleasantly surprised at the accommodations. My room was small, but oh so charming with it's 12 foot ceilings. The Hotel is long on character, and I found the staff to very friendly and helpful. The location is very good, with a pedestrian bridge just a few blocks away that takes you to a pedestrian mall with numerous shops and retaurants

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest, Thank you for your reveiw following your recent stay with us. I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that the team looked after you. Your kind words will be shared with all the team. I do hope we have the chance to wlecome you back in the near future. With warm regards, Amy and Team Columba
Serpentine, Australia
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel on a tour. The setting is very pleasant and the staff who helped with our luggage were great. Staff in the dining room need to learn to smile and be polite. The room! Well I can only describe it as the room from hell. We had no room for our luggage and we only had 1 case and a backpack each. My husbands case had to go down the side of the bed and mine under the desk/mirror. To achieve this we had to move all the furniture. Push the bed over to fit the case in move the only chair along which made it difficult to enter the room. As his case was down the side of the bed there was NO room to get into bed so he had to climb up from the bottom. After dinner my husband left before me and I had to find my way to my room through a rabbit warren of stair doors and passageways. After getting lost and retracing my steps I had to ask a staff member how to find my room. This was very distressing as all the other members of the tour had already gone to their rooms and I became quite anxious. The only saving grace was that the shower in the cramped bathroom was very spacious and the lovely warm towel from the heated towel rail. Wouldn't recommend unless you have NO luggage!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you felt you did not have enough luggage space in your room, as all our rooms come with luggage racks and to be honest it is not a comment we recieve and I know my team would of done their utmost to try and either move your room or try and asssit had they of known. I am pleased you liked the bathroom, in particualr the shower and towel rail and some of our products.
We do have signage on every level and directional signs on all walls, but I fully take on board your comment and I am sorry if this caused you any distress that you could not find your room, and very pleased that the team helped you.
All feedback is reviewed over the various systems we have in place and any changes necessary are taken and once again thank you for your thoughts following your stay with us.
With warm regards, Amy
Karlstad, Sweden
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I stayed in Columba Hotel for one night. The room was big and comfortable. The clerk upgraded the rooms for the same price and it was a nice gesture. The breakfast is not a great experience. They only had one kind of bread and it was not a tasty one. Some more things to choose from would have been good. Some vegetables can also be added.
The hotel is a bit old but very charming.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with view to the river. It is very nice
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. I was so pleased you enjoyed most aspects of your stay and you liked our River view rooms. I am sorry if you did not enjoy the bread, we serve brown and white bloomer bread for toast in the monrings, not feedback we have received before so I will keep an eye on this in case we need to make any changes. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon, with best regards, Amy and Team Columba.
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 6 June 2014

The hotel could use some loving and some of the rooms are not equiped for a lot of luggage. But, the staff make up for any shortcomings. We had drinks in the bar which was very nice, and we ate outside in one of the restarurants. Location was close to any eateries (just a small stroll over the bridge). Short drive to battlefields of Culloden.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest, Thank you very much for your review following your stay with us. I was delighted you enjoyed your time with us and your very kind words will be shared with all the team. I do hope we have the chnace to welcome you back soon. With warm regards, Amy and Team Columba