“Great location but soooo hot!!!”

Columba Hotel, Inverness
Ranked #30 of 36 Hotels in Inverness
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Myself, husband and teenage daughter stayed two nights at this hotel to attend a family wedding in Inverness. The wedding party and many guests were also staying here. The location is great, overlooking the river and Inverness Castle with a nice outdoor seating area outside of the bar. A nice spot to watch the world go by. The hotel is attractive from the outside and the reception area is also attractive with it's wood panelling. You can tell that this is or was an old, fine hotel although unfortunately it doesn't quite live up to expectations. The receptionist could have been more welcoming and at first couldn't find our room. The same thing had happened to the brides parents! However, all was well and we were assigned a room on the first floor. On entering the room we immediately realized there was only one king size bed and nowhere for my daughter to sleep. We were told there should have been a Z bed in there (never good in my experience and which instantly made me worry!) That room was well decorated and airy with large windows overlooking the front of the hotel.
Sadly, we were then given another room at the back. We stayed there without complaining because it had a proper single bed in it. However, it was disappointing as it was extremely hot with only one small window. It clearly needed decorating and had a very tired look. We now just looked on to a narrow street with houses opposite but you can't always have a brilliant view. The hotel is, in fact undergoing refurbishment currently which should improve the room decoration. The beds were very comfortable and the room was very clean. Facilities were good (hairdryer, ironing facilities, tea and coffee, shortbread, toiletries provided, clean fluffy towels etc) However, I have never stayed in a room so hot...even with the window open. The cleaner gave us a fan which was helpful but we were still struggling to sleep. Air conditioning would be great but I don't know if this will be part of the refurbishment or not. Sleep, therefore, was rather difficult and three people trying to get ready for a wedding in such heat was also rather trying.
The bathroom, although small, was nicely decorated and the shower was fine with endless hot water; no complaints there.
Breakfast was very nice, served in the restaurant. Again, a bigger welcome from staff would be better. There was a good choice of cooked items and continental, cereals, fruits and juices. It was all good.There was also items which could be ordered. My daughter ordered porridge which was tasty when it came but it did take a very long time coming! Breakfast is definitely a plus at this hotel though.
Although, we didn't personally eat at McNabbs the bar food our relatives had went down really well and the bar is a good place for a drink. Sadly, on the Friday night prior to the wedding I had to retire to my room with my daughter as we were told the license had just changed that week and under 18's couldn't be in the bar after 8. This was sad as we had to leave all the family there who, coming from Newcastle, we hadn't seen in a long time and miss the party, so to speak. It seemed very harsh that my daughter couldn't be there until 10 when she was with us and obviously wasn't going to be drinking alcohol.
On the whole, we actually enjoyed our stay here. The hotel is in such a good position, has so much potential but is definitely in need of that refurbishment, a little staff training and air conditioning!!!

Room Tip: We had a room at the back somewhere which was very hot. Apparently other wedding guests had said the...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear Guest, Many thanks for your review following your stay with us. I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay and fully take on board all your comments. Feedback is paramount in my business and I thank you for the points you raised. We are having some refurbishment works and I do hope I can welcome you back to see what changes we have made. I am pleased that you enjoyed the prodcuts and services and that you found the hotel clean and that we ticked many boxes for you, sadly, we are not allowed under the licence law to have minors in the bar area past a certain time, but we do have a lounge on our first floor for residents to sit and enjoy the River views. With best regards, Amy and Team Columba.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I stayed here in june and it was one of the best hotels on my trip. The reception team were very attentive throughout my stay and very quick on getting someone up to help to re-tune my tv as I had accidentally pulled out a cable. There is a new residents lounge where you can sit with a glass of wine with your partner and enjoy the river pass you by and watch the lights on the bridge at night.The bar staff were friendly and actually had a laugh with you (unlike other hotels I stayed in). The breakfast was great and couldn't of expected more from the whole team from the chef who was out replenishing the food and the restaurant waiters who always made sure we we're ok. The room, despite being situated at the rear of the hotel (but you cant expect all hotels to have there rooms facing the best view, that just wouldn't work!), was a lovely cosy double room with chairs to sit to read the papper (whilst the missus gets ready) and a great shower/bath that I just didnt want to get out of.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Keiron O

Dear Guest, Many thanks for your review following your stay with us in June. I was delighted that you had a good time and the team looked after you. Your kind words will be shared with my team, it is always a great morale boost when their very hard work has been recognised in this way. I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back soon. With warm regards, Amy and Team Columba

Reviewed 12 July 2014

I booked this hotel last minute on booking.com. Although older, the hotel is clean and the room they gave me was a good size. The hotel staff was very professional and attentive.

The hotel is located on the river Ness and you can do a very scenic and enjoyable walk along the river. The surrounding area is very pedestrian friendly. There is a Tesco's supermarket right around the corner. The hotel is also a 5-7 minute walk from the train station.

There is a decent bar linked to the hotel. The hotel also has a 3 course dinner special for 20 pounds which is not too bad.

Please be aware that depending on your room location, you still may need to navigate some stairs even if you use the elevator. It can be a hassle if you have a large suitcase.

All in all, it was an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest, Thank you very much for your review following your stay with us. I was so pleased you enjoyed your stay and your kind words will be shared with my team. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back. With warm regards, Amy and Team Columba

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Our tour bus driver warned us about this hotel. The room was small, very old and shabby with no place to put luggage. I asked for luggage racks (no dice) and possibly an upgrade/larger room since there were three of us but they said there were no other rooms. The staff was borderline surly, telling us we should be happy because out bathroom was renovated even if the room was old with uneven floors and dirty rug.My husband uses a CPAP (snore) machine, but there were no outlets (we had our own adapter) that could reach any of the beds. They suggested we go buy an extension cord so he could sleep! So he did. The next day the bus tour driver told us that his company is going to get another hotel in Inverness for future trips, since they've had so many complaints about the Columba Hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Coconut30
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for your review following your stay with us. I was very shocked and disappointed to read this and I am sorry if you have felt this way. If I may ask you contact me direct so I can gain some more information from you on room number, date of stay, as so I can investigate further as we have over 900 guests that stay in our hotel each week and this certainly does not reflect the feedback I receive on a daily basis or from our comment card's that we have. It is not the standards that we strive for at the Columba and I can only apologise after the event and do hope that you will contact me so I can take this further. With best regards, Amy

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed one night as part of coach tour. Advertised as 4-star, but, although service is good, getting old and tired.

When I checked in the receptacles didn't work. Staff was very attentive, but broke down again after twenty minutes. They upgraded me to another room, and helped carry luggage, showing they DO care. Still, it only takes a minute to check these things between guests.

Breakfast was good, and the location is great, although only a few rooms get any kind of decent view.

Don't know what the going rate is, but would not pay 4-star prices if on my own.

Room Tip: Beautiful view of River Ness from front rooms, others look out on alleys, buildings, etc.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Joe O
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. I was so pleased that the team looked after you and you found the room clean and enjoyed our food. Your kind words will be shared with my team. I do hope we have the chance to welcome you back to the Columba soon. With best regards, Amy and Team Columba

Reviewed 1 July 2014

If you book in advance, you may find yourself paying twice the going rate when you arrive, and the unhelpful desk personnel could care less. How this rundownp place got a four star rating beats me. It's only virtue as far as I can tell is its location, but I'd sure look for another one nearby instead.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Emil M
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us recently. I am genuinely sorry if you did not enjoy your stay with us . We truly do strive to ensure we meet every guests expectations , as you can see by the various booking review sites. With best regards,
Amy

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

2 nights were 2 too many. They had no luggage rack in room. Had to put on floor and chair. The tv was just bigger than a beer bottle. Our view out the window was disgusting. The place needs total refurbishment. The food was less than average.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank johng88888
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for your review. I am sorry if you did not enjoy all aspects of your stay. I do hope you raised these concerns at the time as we do have many different rooms to offer guests, my team would of done their utmost to accommodate your needs. Our standard doubles which you stayed in do all have luggage racks, either a case good on the side or portable one located in the wardrobe. I am sorry if you did not enjoy your view, being in a city centre some of our rooms are going to look out to other buidings. As you will know from staying here, we are in the middle of a redecorating programme so I hope you can come back and see what changes we have made.