“Good stay”

Columba Hotel, Inverness
Ranked #27 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
“Good stay”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I bought this trip through Groupon for £129 - 2nights, with breakfast each morning, 3 course dinner on one night and bottle of bubbly. Sorry it's taken a while to get round to writing the review. The location is great, with 24hour parking just a short walking distance away. The town center is right across the bridge and there are nice restaurants around it. The hotel itself is clean and the rooms were a decent size. The bathrooms could do with upgrading as they do not match the standard of the room. I wouldn't say the room we stayed in was 4 star - 3 at best. The staff were welcoming and friendly. The dinner we had on the first night was average, plenty of food and seemed to be of decent quality. Unfortunately our view wasn't the best as we were at the back but you could pay extra for a river view but at the price they were asking I wasn't prepared to pay for it. We were left to our own devices which suited me fine but were waiting a while when we asked for additional towels and loo roll. Overall I would recommend the hotel as it is in a good place for exploring Inverness and prices seem reasonable.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Abbielf89x
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Guest, thank you for your review following your stay with us. I was delighted that you had a good stay and will share your valuable feedback with all my team. I do hope we have the chance to welcome you back soon. With warm regard, Amy and Team Columba

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Great location for checking out Inverness on foot.
but You've got to get a room with a view of the river/ castle.
Day or night it made for some really magic views, even fireworks.
The rooms are a little dated and not immaculate, but nice and comfy.
Staff was helpful and we had a fantastic meal in the bar downstairs.
Parking is available not too far from the hotel and only 4.50 (pounds) for 24 hours.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room facing the river
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. I was so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed our food and that my team looked after you. You kind words will be shared with all the team. I do hope we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Columba soon. With warm regards, Amy and Team Columba
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed at the Columba as part of a tour group. The hotel was in a good location right on the river. While inside the hotel looks a little worn the staff were very pleasant and friendly.

Our room was quite large and we soon noticed it was a wheelchair friendly room though we had not requested this and no doubt it was simply an available room which we were lucky enough to have. There was a walk in shower and a seat in the shower if needed. I was very happy with this as I have found the tubs/showers in other hotels to have platforms which make the tub high and difficult to get in to when you have short legs. The room has an iron and hairdryer but no air conditioning however the windows open which kept the room cool. The bed was very comfortable and I had a great sleep.

Supper was excellent( best beef stew I have ever had) as was breakfast. I enjoyed our night at the Columba.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you so much for your reveiw following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. We do get fab reviews from our customers about out Beef Stew in our Restuarant and our Pie in MacNabs. I am so peased that the team looked after you and I do hope we have the chance to welcome you back in the future. With warm regards, Amy and Team Columba
North Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Stayed here for one night, hotel was fine , ooked an excecutive room, no way was this an excucutive room, bathroom was tiny which was scruffy , bed uncomfortable, lamp shades had burn marks on them in need of a refurb.
On cheching out I talked to the manageress who did give me a large discount which when I paid the receptionist did not acknowledge, thank or say a word , quite rude . I was very pleasant when I questioned the class of the room so it not as if I upset anyone.
I was told the reason for the high price of the so called executive room was due to there not being a lot of rooms in Inverness!
Licence to overcharge?
On the plus side the view was good all be it through quite a small window.
The room was possible just about worth what I ended up paying , but would not go back.

1 Thank PeteRRHH
Dear Guest, Thank you for your reveiw following your stay with us. I am sorry if we did not meet with all the expectations. There can be no excuses for poor hospitality from my reception team and I am sorry if this was the case, which I will deal with immediately. I am glad that one of my management team helped you and hope that we can welcome you back again. With best regards, Amy
South Lyon, Michigan
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel as part of a tour group. The ooutside of the hotel was quaint, right on the river. It was close to the shopping area of the little town. We liked the walking trails on both sides of the river.
The inside of the hotel was less attractive. At breakfast, the staff could not keep up filling the buffet line even though there were nnot that many people eating.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear Guest, thank you for your recent review following an overnight stay with us. I am sorry that we did not ticked all the boxes for you. Your thoughts will be shared with my team to ensure we can improve where possible. With kindest regards, Amy
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Don't stay here. I did as it was booked by someone else who should have known better. It's about 5 years beyond when it should have had a major overhaul. Truly. Bed was OK but room cramped, creaky and poorly ventilated. Breakfast was amongst the worst I've experienced. And there is NO CAR PARKING ON SITE. This hotel seems to cater for bus loads of foreign tourists who get what they probably expect from British hotels. There are MUCH better hotels in Inverness to stay so please choose one of them e.g. the FABULOUS Glenmoriston just across the river.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank H2EauNo
Dear Guest, Thank you for your thoughts following a recent stay. I am sorry if we did not meet with your expectations. We do have various sizes and grades of rooms depending on what you booked, we do not advertised we have car parking at our hotel so I am sorry if you thought we did or had air con in rooms. I do hope you brought some of your concerns to our attention at the time as perhaps given the opportunity we could of solves some of the concerns you had, as we truly do want to ensure all our 150 guests a night leave happy. With kind regards, Amy

Travellers are raving about these Inverness hotels

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 6 August 2014

this hotel is now one of the chain of " Bespoke Hotels" so right away the price goes up. It is a nice place to try for a few days . Outside it retains all it's historical charm. Inside it has become very contemporary yet in the lounges the exposes stone remains. Add lots of leather and deep wood and you have what many tourists expect in the area. It does sit in the heart of the city with a good view of the castle and the Ness River.
There is free WI FI and coffee makers in the rooms. The beds are superior hotel quality. The rooms have the required flat screens, nicely appointed bathrooms .

Room Tip: try for a front room so you can see Inverness Castle and go high for that reason and the quietness
1 Thank solo_gal4scenery
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, Inverness, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for your reveiw following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and your kind words will be shared with my team. I hope we can welcome you back soon. With warm regards, Amy and Team Columba