Columba Hotel Inverness by Compass Hospitality
US$293
US$242
US$209
Holiday Inn Express Inverness(Inverness)(Great Value!)
US$172
US$158
Hotels.com
Heathmount Hotel(Inverness)
US$217
US$196
US$182
Craigmonie Hotel & Leisure Ltd.(Inverness)(Great Value!)
US$168
Redcliffe Hotel(Inverness)
US$224
Travelodge Inverness Fairways(Inverness)(Great Value!)
US$98
  • Bar/Lounge
US$129
PremierInn.com
1,358 results
All reviewsthe rivermcnabs barinverness castleexecutive roomitison voucherroll top bathcathedral car parkbuffet breakfasta river view roomeden court theatrecity centreshort breaklovely roompubshighlands
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 January 2011

The Columba is a lovely hotel in the centre of Inverness. It's location is fantastic, lovely views of the castle from the front bedrooms. These rooms are excellent quality with a small sitting area with leather couch, overlooking the river. If you are lucky enough to get one of these rooms you will not be disappointed. There is a lively bar downstairs in the hotel and also a quiet seating area upstairs to enjoy a glass of wine or two. Although there is no parking at the hotel, the car park is only a 2 minute walk away and after we spoke to the girl at reception, we were given a ticket to allow us free parking. We have stayed at the Columba several times, with friends, alone and with our children and we have never been dissapointed. We were even offered cards for free entry to the Inverness Aquadome when we were visiting with the children - how many hotels do that.

All in all, I cannot fault this hotel. Their breakfasts are lovely and there is plenty of choice. Beds are comfortable and the views are amazing. What more could you ask for.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 January 2011

Stayed at the Columba Hotel with my husband and son for 3 nights and from the moment we arrived, I could not fault the staff, food, accommodation and atmosphere. We were made very welcome and will defnitely be visiting again

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 January 2011

We visited Inverness inbetween Xmas & New year.
Lovely Hotel few minutes from city centre. Great views of castle & river.
Service was excellent. Helpful friendly staff, good food & we would highly recommend this hotel.
The food was excellent.
The bedroom was cosy
Would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2011

Decided to stay at the Columba Hotel for a long weekend away with my husband and our 2 small children, due to central location and description etc. Disapointed that no parking at hotel though understandable since central. No offer by reception to get a porter or someone to help us with luggage even with the 2 small children and quite a few bags. We decided to have a meal in the Bistro since the restaraunt was closed, starter was acceptable but both of us were very disapointed in the main courses (both had steaks) kitchen had used enough grease to cook the onions and mushrooms to float the whole hotel and husbands steak was not cooked how requested by a long mile, we also noticed that we werent the only people there not happy with the food. Our main worry was though that through the night and into the sunday we were both suffering from upset stomachs and bit queasy. I advised the Duty Manager and was advised that he would speak to the kitchen and "put it into his book to make sure was brought up" Obviously we werent happy having another meal there and had the breakfasts only cause we had already paid for them in our room price, even the breakfasts though werent that special and were quite dried out. We decided to try a place called Johnny Foxes bar/restaraunt for dinner on the sunday night as was just across the bridge from hotel and had a fantastic meal, service fantastic, would even suggest that the hotel chef go to Johnny Foxes for re-training! Dont get me wrong the hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful but just seemed to be a different level of service. Our hotel room (224) seemed quite basic with a lovely view of the block of flats across the road. the bathroom really could do with complete re-do, bath had been chipped and repainted very clearly, skirting near door was splitting and cracking, bottom of door was all chipped and wood lifting up, roof had been repaired (obvious) beside light and the grouting could have done with a good clean. Overall really not what would expect in a four star hotel and has left a bitter taste in mouth as was myself that suggest staying here. even the offer of a goodwill gesture from the duty manager would have been nice but wasnt forthcoming even though he seemed to think that he was type of person that went out of way for customers. I really wouldnt recomend this hotel to anyone and was even texting friends during our stay to say this.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
OHIML, General Manager at Columba Hotel Inverness by Compass Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2011

Thank you for your comments made regarding your recent stay at the Columba Hotel, although I regret that your stay was disappointing. On a positive note, I am pleased that you found the team helpful and friendly.
Please be assured that I have taken your comments seriously and discussed with our team. I will ensure that the appropriate action and re-training takes place where appropriate to improve the service and food that we offer.
The Hotel does have lovely views of the River Ness and Inverness Castle and I regret that your room overlooked other buildings. Unfortunately, with us being located in the city centre hotel this is unavoidable unless you request a room with a view.
Thank you for your comments made.

Reviewed 8 January 2011

We spent Christmas at the Columba, Inverness with our 3 adult sons. The dinner on arrival on Thursday 24th was OK, but it was, guess??? Turkey Dinner???!! The room was warm, clean and comfortable, but as a supposed room for disabled, I could never have got my wheel Chair in!!! The Walk - In Shower was a godsend, even though it was a bit mouldy inside and leaked (which was fixed as soon as we reported it) The Buffet Breakfast was OK, the Black Pudding advertised, did not seem to appear, and thankfully we all like scrambled eggs as the fried eggs were congealed. Christmas Lunch was a complete let down. Roast???? Nothing roasted in sight. Boiled or Steamed potatoes in their skins and a bit of steamed? mixed vegetables, with a steamed turkey roll, which had not seen a bone in a long time!!!! and Gravy & Cranberry Sauce. That was it!!! No roast potatoes, parsnips, no sprouts, no Bread Sauce. Dessert???? Christmas Pudding with CUSTARD with a thick skin on it. No Brandy or Rum Sauce. When the Mince Pies eventually arrived after being swiftly warmed in the microwave, with no Brandy Butter. No Christmas Cake, No Yuletide Log. I had a better Christmas dinner, no even a better Sunday Roast when I was in hospital over Christmas last year!!!!
The staff were wonderful, nothing was too much trouble, but their managment was very poor. They ran around like headless Chickens trying to please us all and of course not really achieving this. They brought Coffe and milk, no sugar, or coffee sugar and no milk, soup and forgot the bread. There did not seem to be any organisation or shape to them, NOT THEIR FAULT. Cold cuts were being served from 6 - 8 Christmas nighr. We went down at 7.40pm, there was nothing left, they had to gather what they could for us, left over Prawn Salads, Cheese and Crackers etc Boxing Night we were going to the Theatre 4.30 until 8.pm. Dinner was 6 - 8 so we opted for the Indian across the River. The best meal we had during our stay. Such a lovely hotel and surroundings, wonderful pleasing staff, but where was the mamagment???? We enjoyed our Christmas despite the hotel, not because of it. Inverness is lovely and would return again, but never to the Columba and iof that is the standards set by the Oxford Inns, never to one of their Hotels either. We have stayed in better Farmhouse B&Bs

Stayed: December 2010
OHIML, General Manager at Columba Hotel Inverness by Compass Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2011

Thank you for writing your comments on Trip Advisor in regard to your stay over the Christmas period. As General Manager of the Columba Hotel, feedback is important and valuable to us. I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

Following the letter already sent to you in regard to your stay, please accept my sincere apologies for the problems you encountered during your stay over the festive period.

Please be assured that we do take your comments most seriously and I have discussed your observations in detail with the team. The necessary corrective action will be taken to ensure that we do all we can to improve these services, or to help prevent issues reoccurring, preventing others experiencing the disappointment that you received, which is far below our normal standard.

Our top priority is to provide a high standard of service and facilities to all our guests, clearly on this occasion we have failed to achieve this in the management of your expectations, and in the food served over the festive period.

I am very pleased to hear you thought the staff were attentive and trying to deliver a good service during your stay. We pride ourselves on our team here at the Columba Hotel, unfortunately the management seems to have let us down. I will ensure this will be reviewed and corrective action taken immediately. I will also review the room that you stayed in and the disabled access to this room. We are working with a disabled lady who stays with us regularly, helping us improve our services in this area. The whole food experience has been reviewed and we are changing our offer for next year as the expectation versus the offer, was not in tandem, and did not reflect our four star status. I apologise for this personally, and I can assure you action has been taken.

Once again, I would like to thank you again for your constructive comments. I sincerely hope my apologies will be accepted and that we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Columba Hotel in the not too distant future.