“Run down” 2 of 5 bubbles

Bazpackers Hostel
Boston, Massachusetts
“Run down”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

This place is on a traffic island, lots of traffic noise and sometimes the building even rattled when trucks went by. The bedding was worn, as was the room. As another traveler said, the entryway was sketchy. It didn't feel secure to me.
Three positive things - you can walk to the bus and train station, the River Ness is nearby, and the shower was clean and decent. But I would not stay there again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Dee C

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Indonesian first
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

After missing my bus from Inverness to Ullapool, I was stuck in Inverness for the night. The first hostel i went to was Bazbackers and i was both lucky they had a last room spare, and that it was this hostel! I'd never gone off alone on a trip before, gone backpacking, OR stayed in a hostel before, and this was a great introduction!
The room i stayed in was fairly cramped, but enough space to store my things and sleep well, and damn did I. The common room was really cozy and the kitchen (though I never used it), very clean and practical. Just from sitting and reading, I got to know 4 fellow guests and a staff member, so it's a very friendly environment.
And of course, the location is excellent. Sitting right outside Inverness Castle and just up from the River Ness, with a small walk to the High Street, you can't really get a much better location.

I highly recommend this hostel to anybody, and hope you enjoy your stay as much as I did!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Peter D
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

i stayed for one night in a twin room,never stayed in a hostel before,but was pleasantly surprised.nice helpful staff,shared shower room very clean..free tea and coffee in lounge area.couple of mins walk to centre of town..will recommened this hostel to others,and hope to stay again..

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank mags62uk
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed for one night in a private double room in the annex portion of the hostel. The entrance to the annex part is pretty sketchy looking. We got in at about 7 and were hoping to go straight to dinner. Unfortunately they were working on the electrical lines in our room so we couldn't just leave our bags there but we had to stay until they finished their work at about 8. The room itself was decent and there was a shower/toilet across the hall.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Shipley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

3 of us stayed in the self contained flat for one night and in a dorm room for the second night, it was a very relaxing comfortable end to our hike after camping on the Speyside way. very central and great for a chill out before a long train journey home. will book again.

Room Tip: book the self contained flat if there is up to 4 of you.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Very nice hostel with excellent staff. The washroom on our floor was definitely the nicest I have seen for a shared washroom. The hostel is very central and we were easily able to find parking nearby.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Kittery, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

I visited the Bazpackers Hostel last Winter and really wish I could have stayed longer. Not only was the place decorated with cozy furniture (and the fireplace, although not real, definitely added to the warmth of the place) in the common room, but the rooms were always warm (definitely an added bonus in the dead of winter), bedding always clean and amenities always available. To put this into context, whenever I travel outside my own country (the USA) I always stay at hostels. What matters most to me is that I meet friendly people at hostels that become family I will never forget. I was particularly impressed with this one because they offered coffee and tea for free (a big deal considering how expensive Scotland can be to travel in), always had hot water ready, had clean facilities, were always kind and polite in their correspondence and most of all, were willing to sit down with me and get to know each other. I realize that this can be particularly difficult in the summer time when hundreds of people come in and out of a hostel in the heart of Scotland. But in the winter time, it was great to sit and relax with these kind people. An added bonus was that they have a second set of rooms around the building also with a kitchen and showers just in case they get crowded. To be honest I stayed there, but still carried my stuff around the building back to the main common room and kitchen so that I could talk with people. I hope to return again maybe the end of this Summer with my family this time. I look forward to another great conversation in that cozy atmosphere over tea or coffee. To get there can be tricky I will say. You can walk there from the central bus station. I know I have and I've known others to do so as well, but it's best to catch the bus the first or second time just in case. Ask the folks who work there how to do it and which bus station to get off at and it should be a cinch.

Room Tip: I tried both the 4 bed women's room and the 6 bed mixed. As a woman traveling alone, I would def...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo