“Fabulous fine dining experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux

Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux
Ranked #2 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
VXFoxy
“Fabulous fine dining experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

I thoroughly recommend dinner at Rocpool Reserve. The food and service was superb and excellent value for money. Three courses a la carte with aperitif, wine and dessert wine came to £60/head. But the set menu @ £28 for 3 courses looks even better value.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank VXFoxy
Rocpool-Inverness, General Manager at Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review regarding your recent visit to Rocpool Reserve and Chez Roux.

I am so happy that you enjoyed your experience so much and also that you agree with me in thinking that it is very much a meal that offers great value for money. Inverness has a very vibrant restaurant scene with plenty of choice and with close investigation, we definitely seem to be keeping in line with the food and service standards expected of a high end establishment as well as keeping the price fair for such exquisite dishes of food.

I thank you once again for your gratefully received comments and I hope to be able to welcome you back to Rocpool Reserve in the near future.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Started off on a slightly frustrated footing after emailing to book the "mid week break" advertised on their website (excellent deal from £420 for 2 nights dinner, b&b plus bottle of champagne in room) and was told room was available but deal wasn't (not sure this makes sense as should only depend on room availability - nothing on the website suggested it was a limited promotion) and that dinner was only meant to be included with one of the two nights (their website error I presume, but not my problem that they had promoted this!). A little negotiation/persuasion and complaining later and the original deal was secured (although this left me slight sceptical about customer service). Overall this made for an excellent price for such a package.

However, experience from there onwards was excellent - friendly and helpful staff who were interested to help but unobstrusive; suggested local walks and chatted about the area. Housekeeping staff were like invisible fairies - even after only vacating our room for minutes we'd always return to find it impeccably turned out, cleaned and freshened!

We booked the most basic room, but is was still lovely - contemporary, clean, and quality finish with no signs of wear and tear. Tempting mini bar, very comfortable bed, books of local info, powerful shower, luxury toiletries.

We found the breakfast, contrary to some other reviewers, pleasingly generous - the vanilla poached pears were particularly delicious. Dinner both nights was very good indeed - perhaps not consistently excellent, but then Roux's restaurant here is more of an upmarket chain than a bespoke own restaurant, and we had been rather spoilt by dining at the luxurious Boath House the preceding evening. That said, the menu was really very good - could have happily be tempted by a different appetising offering every night for a week - and they acknowledged my food allergies (having received advance notice) on checking in and made it clear that chef was happy to be accommodating. Indeed one of the alternative variants chef produced was offered was so delicious I was actually glad I couldn't eat the original dish! Highly accommodating and flexible.

Overall would definitely recommend and will visit again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Rocpool-Inverness, General Manager at Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay at Rocpool Reserve and Chez Roux. I will start by apologising for any error and inconvenience caused during the booking of your room. This isn't the usual attentive, simple and quick process we like to offer when you decide to contact us to make a booking.

I am so happy to read that everything after this was to your liking and I'll be sure to pass on your kind words to the staff.

At Rocpool Reserve, our ethos is very much to offer a high quality service but without being obtrusive. Thank you so much for noting this small but very important aspect was carried out to your liking.

With being affiliated with the Roux name, the food of course has to be at a constant high level and I am happy to read that both night's meals were enjoyed and that you've noted the hard work that goes into the menu in order to offer a wide variety of different dishes in order to satisfy different appetites.

Thank you for all your kind words and I do hope that you're able to return to Rocpool Reserve in the near future and I'm sure for an equally enjoyable time.

Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Just returned home from a weekend at the Rocpool in Inverness.
Everything about the hotel is first class.
Staff were attentive without being intrusive. Nothing was too much trouble.
Accomodation was well designed and comfortable, and of course there's the food, which is a credit to the Roux name.
Can't wait for a return visit.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Rocpool-Inverness, General Manager at Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for reviewing your recent stay at Rocpool Reserve and Chez Roux. It is always welcoming to read when a guest has taken in what we have to offer and enjoyed it to the extent you have. Testament to the fact that you enjoyed the restaurant was the fact that you decided to eat both nights of your stay. It is very rewarding to read, as it was when speaking to you, how much you have enjoyed yourself.

I look forward to welcoming you back for a no doubt similar experience in the not too distant future.

West lothian
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Again like previous guest this place has been on my MUST VISIT list for sometime. The service is not 5 star by any means. We had dinner in the restaurant where service was poor or pouring our own wine and water. There was a loud couple with a young child who was running round all during our meal. We had lunch earlier that day at Mustard Seed and I would easily say the food there more than matched chez roux and was 7.95 for 2 courses and the service was better. At breakfast the young gentleman really struggled delivering wrong juices and then put my fruit plate down with a hair on the side. He apologised when I highlighted this and replaced it. It was not mentioned again. On leaving no one offered to help with our bags, left feeling truly let down. I did love the hot tub in the rain though.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay at Rocpool Reserve and Chez Roux.

I am deeply saddened to read that your experience at Rocpool Reserve was less than what we would hope it would be, perfect. In every aspect of the Hotel, we strive to offer something unique, special and memorable in the hope that the end result would be you leaving extremely satisfied and looking forward to a return visit. I send my sincere apologies that this wasn’t the case.

The service we wish to offer would definitely be formal but at the same time, relaxed and unobtrusive. At no point should you be expected to do the pouring of your beverages, so again, my apologies for this oversight.

We do class ourselves as a child friendly hotel and restaurant but that being said, if a child was to be deemed by myself as disturbing then I would have no hesitation in rectifying this. For the short period the family was in the restaurant with you, I did not class the child as anything other than engaging in a playful but peaceful manner with the parents.

I am disappointed with the breakfast service received as we pride ourselves on a wonderful breakfast experience to set you up for the day ahead. Although these were small mistakes and they were rectified for you, this type of service is beyond us as we again, as I say above, look to offer perfection.

I hope that although your stay was less than ideal for you, we are able to welcome you back in the near future.

Falkirk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

Stayed for one night paid £220 for room number six. Ended up having little sleep with only a mild apology for the inconvenience. The noise from the kitchen above the room and the constant drone of the fan from I assume was the extractor in the kitchens ,until it was switched off at 23.55 after I complained. We were awoken the following morning at 7.30 am no chance for a lie in with the noise again.
When we first arrive we were told dinner in the restaurant could only be booked for 8.30 for 9pm was not that keen to eat so late ,so me and my hubby were going to eat elsewhere. Following coming back from a walk we were offered a booking for 7.30 for 8pm we jumped at the chance.
Bad mistake ,guess when we got our starter yes 8.55pm and the bread was delivered virtually at the same time. The scallops were cold but I was hungry so I eat them, the manger did offer to deduct them from my bill but they ended up deducting my husbands cheaper starter.
The service was pretty poor at dinner the wine was put into a ice bucket at the back of my husbands chair , after quite some time we were bringing to feel rather neglected so we did have to ask if it could be poured Following this we ended up pouring most of the wine ourselves for fear of evaporation (LOL) hardly what you expect of a five star establishment ,could go on and on but that would bore you to tears. Suffice it to say I won't be back most disappointing expensive experience.
The only positive breakfast was good.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 6
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank 1king
Rocpool-Inverness, General Manager at Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at Rocpool Reserve and Chez Roux and highlighting your disappointment with several areas of the hotel. It is hugely important that we receive all feedback good and bad in order to improve as a team. With regards to the noise in your room, as you know it was myself who dealt with this on the evening and I have further investigated this since your stay, again thank you for highlighting this.

With regards to your dining experience I am in complete agreement that under no circumstances should your scallops have been served cold and as on the evening I send my sincere apologies. As you are aware Chef spoke to you personally on the evening and he is very disappointed with himself for this error.

You are correct in saying your table was booked 7.30-8pm. We allow every guest a 30 minute pre dinner drink interval and therefore when you arrived in the bar at 7.50pm we automatically allowed you the same time. However, we would have been happy to show you straight to your table should you have preferred.

I again thank you for your comments and you can be assured that they’ll be used in a productive manor. Should you wish to discuss anything further regarding your stay, please do not hesitate to be in contact.

01463 240 089
gm@rocpool.com
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I just returned from a one night stay at the Rocpool Reserve... Absolutely amazing!
Being our 5 year anniversary/my boyfriends birthday I splashed out and booked the Extra Decadent room. As soon as we arrived in the car park we were greeted outside the car door and our bags were carried to our room. We were shown all the features our room had to offer, including our private terrace with our own hot tub and sauna! Such a bonus. The bed was absolutely massive as well which was awesome.
We didn't dine in the hotel as we wanted to chill in our room but we did go to the bar for a cocktail which was lovely. For dinner, we decided to order room service which was so fast. Food was amazing - we both had steaks while chilling in our robes. Bliss!
Breakfast the next morning was soo good. Beautifully presented and so yummy! After one last dip in the hot tub we packed our bags and left. We'll definitely be returning!

1 Thank Sara D
Rocpool-Inverness, General Manager at Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such wonderful review regarding your stay. It is with reviews like yours that aid us in the combined effort of the entire team to keep push for the high standards we wish to reach in order to continue receiving such praise.

With such a special occasion being the reason for your visit, we of course want to ensure that all aspects of your stay were memorable and so much so that you wish to come back. It is very welcoming to read that this is your plan.

I do look forward to your return and thank you so much for staying at Rocpool Reserve for your anniversary celebrations./

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

I booked this hotel for new year and we were not disappointed.
we were greeted by some very friendly staff and asked to wait in the reception with complimentary champagne (and jelly beans) until our room was ready.
We had one of the two rooms with a private hot tub which added an additional feel good factor!!
The rooms were lovely - modern design, clean and classy looking.
The food and service was very good. Good selection of cocktails in the bar, although the bar had just undertaken a course and was attempting some rather crazy mixtures (some of which were I'm sorry to say undrinkable but I'm sure he will get better!!)
Great location too - just a simple five minute stroll down passed the castle and you are in the city centre.

Room Tip: if possible and budget isn't an issue book a room with a hot tub :)
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay at Rocpool Reserve and Chez Roux. What better way to bring in the bells than to spend it in the 5 star Rocpool Reserve and have a private hot tub at your disposal.

With being a City centre Boutique Hotel, we work hard to ensure that we have all the modern furnishings and amenities in all the 11 bedrooms we have. I am happy to read that you were to enjoy and recognise the high standard we aim for.

My apologies that some of the Cocktails we produced for those festive months weren't to your liking. The mixing of Cocktails has become a fine art and we wish to be inventive but at the same time traditional with the more commonly know Cocktails. We hope that upon a welcome return of yourselves, we're able to hit the mark when it comes to a drink in our r Bar.

Thank you so much for your kind words and custom.