“Like coming home...but nicer”

Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux
Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Inverness
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel for one night and organised a joint 40th birthday for 6 friends in the restaurant. The room was lovely and the bathroom massive.
The staff were extremely helpful and some nice touches in the room, like a bottle of water and a glass plus a plate of chocolate macaroons awaiting me after my night out.
Staff in the restaurant were lovely, helpful and very patient.
It was very warm in all areas of the hotel, but it's an extremely minor gripe as everything else was lovely.
Thanks for the birthday cake and making our evening memorable and special. The effort from the staff at Rocpool does not go unappreciated.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Rocpool-Inverness, General Manager at Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Dear Guest,

First of all, a happy belated Birthday. I am so happy that you chose to share such an important milestone with Rocpool Reserve.

We wish to make every guest feel welcome and also to give an experience to savour and from your review, it seems very much that we had done it on this occasion for you.

It was a delight to have you and your guests join us in the Bar and Restaurant and we hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future for I'm sure a very similar experience.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We were celebrating our 16th wedding anniversary this weekend and decided to treat ourselves by coming to your restaurant, and what a treat it was!! The service was excellent, attentive but not intrusive. The staff were very efficient, but above all the food was truly delicious! So delicious that we cleared our plates and couldn't manage a sweet!! Definitely will try for a sweet next time. A fantastic dining experience, which made our anniversary absolutely perfect!! Thank you.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

First of all, Rocpool Reserve sends our congratulations on your Anniversary and secondly, thank you so much for deciding to celebrate such an important occasion with us.

There is always that little bit of added pressure when we are faced with such an important time but we happily take it in our stride and continue with offering our high standard of food and service that we wish to provide every guest.

I am so happy that we hit the mark with yourselves and have hopefully made it an anniversary to remember.

We will hopefully see you again the same time next year, if not before.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

We stayed at Rocpool at the beginning of May for a night as a surprise for my husbands birthday, what can I say.....Just amazing! We were greeted in the car park by the General Manager who was very welcoming and pleasant who showed us to our room. I had booked a 'Hip' bedroom and included dinner with our stay, when we arrived we were told we had been upgraded to a 'Decadent' bedroom on a complimentary basis as the hotel was fairly quiet which we were delighted with.
We had dinner booked in the "Chez Roux" restaurant for 7pm, my daughther and her partner joined us. The four of us were seated in the restaurant at 7pm after drinks in the bar and were promptly given our starter which were just fantastic, my husband had Albert Roux's famous Soufflé which he said was to die for. As I am a vegetarian and do not eat any dairy products the chef had created a menu specially for me, I thought was just amazing and I am very grateful they were able to do this.

I would highly recommend this lovely boutique hotel, it is very stylish and surprisingly quiet for an inner city hotel. All the staff were very helpful and so attentive without being invasive. Definitely 5 star!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with the Tripadvisor community. You really have taken in what we try to produce at all times at Rocpool Reserve, and that is simply to offer a high level of service throughout the Hotel as a whole in order to fully impress and leave each guest with an unforgettable experience.

It is with great appreciation that it seems we managed to offer both of the above from within the restaurant and room.

I thank you for visiting Rocpool Reserve and I look forward to you possibly being able to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

I thoroughly recommend dinner at Rocpool Reserve. The food and service was superb and excellent value for money. Three courses a la carte with aperitif, wine and dessert wine came to £60/head. But the set menu @ £28 for 3 courses looks even better value.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank VXFoxy
Rocpool-Inverness, General Manager at Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review regarding your recent visit to Rocpool Reserve and Chez Roux.

I am so happy that you enjoyed your experience so much and also that you agree with me in thinking that it is very much a meal that offers great value for money. Inverness has a very vibrant restaurant scene with plenty of choice and with close investigation, we definitely seem to be keeping in line with the food and service standards expected of a high end establishment as well as keeping the price fair for such exquisite dishes of food.

I thank you once again for your gratefully received comments and I hope to be able to welcome you back to Rocpool Reserve in the near future.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Started off on a slightly frustrated footing after emailing to book the "mid week break" advertised on their website (excellent deal from £420 for 2 nights dinner, b&b plus bottle of champagne in room) and was told room was available but deal wasn't (not sure this makes sense as should only depend on room availability - nothing on the website suggested it was a limited promotion) and that dinner was only meant to be included with one of the two nights (their website error I presume, but not my problem that they had promoted this!). A little negotiation/persuasion and complaining later and the original deal was secured (although this left me slight sceptical about customer service). Overall this made for an excellent price for such a package.

However, experience from there onwards was excellent - friendly and helpful staff who were interested to help but unobstrusive; suggested local walks and chatted about the area. Housekeeping staff were like invisible fairies - even after only vacating our room for minutes we'd always return to find it impeccably turned out, cleaned and freshened!

We booked the most basic room, but is was still lovely - contemporary, clean, and quality finish with no signs of wear and tear. Tempting mini bar, very comfortable bed, books of local info, powerful shower, luxury toiletries.

We found the breakfast, contrary to some other reviewers, pleasingly generous - the vanilla poached pears were particularly delicious. Dinner both nights was very good indeed - perhaps not consistently excellent, but then Roux's restaurant here is more of an upmarket chain than a bespoke own restaurant, and we had been rather spoilt by dining at the luxurious Boath House the preceding evening. That said, the menu was really very good - could have happily be tempted by a different appetising offering every night for a week - and they acknowledged my food allergies (having received advance notice) on checking in and made it clear that chef was happy to be accommodating. Indeed one of the alternative variants chef produced was offered was so delicious I was actually glad I couldn't eat the original dish! Highly accommodating and flexible.

Overall would definitely recommend and will visit again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Rocpool-Inverness, General Manager at Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay at Rocpool Reserve and Chez Roux. I will start by apologising for any error and inconvenience caused during the booking of your room. This isn't the usual attentive, simple and quick process we like to offer when you decide to contact us to make a booking.

I am so happy to read that everything after this was to your liking and I'll be sure to pass on your kind words to the staff.

At Rocpool Reserve, our ethos is very much to offer a high quality service but without being obtrusive. Thank you so much for noting this small but very important aspect was carried out to your liking.

With being affiliated with the Roux name, the food of course has to be at a constant high level and I am happy to read that both night's meals were enjoyed and that you've noted the hard work that goes into the menu in order to offer a wide variety of different dishes in order to satisfy different appetites.

Thank you for all your kind words and I do hope that you're able to return to Rocpool Reserve in the near future and I'm sure for an equally enjoyable time.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Just returned home from a weekend at the Rocpool in Inverness.
Everything about the hotel is first class.
Staff were attentive without being intrusive. Nothing was too much trouble.
Accomodation was well designed and comfortable, and of course there's the food, which is a credit to the Roux name.
Can't wait for a return visit.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Rocpool-Inverness, General Manager at Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for reviewing your recent stay at Rocpool Reserve and Chez Roux. It is always welcoming to read when a guest has taken in what we have to offer and enjoyed it to the extent you have. Testament to the fact that you enjoyed the restaurant was the fact that you decided to eat both nights of your stay. It is very rewarding to read, as it was when speaking to you, how much you have enjoyed yourself.

I look forward to welcoming you back for a no doubt similar experience in the not too distant future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Again like previous guest this place has been on my MUST VISIT list for sometime. The service is not 5 star by any means. We had dinner in the restaurant where service was poor or pouring our own wine and water. There was a loud couple with a young child who was running round all during our meal. We had lunch earlier that day at Mustard Seed and I would easily say the food there more than matched chez roux and was 7.95 for 2 courses and the service was better. At breakfast the young gentleman really struggled delivering wrong juices and then put my fruit plate down with a hair on the side. He apologised when I highlighted this and replaced it. It was not mentioned again. On leaving no one offered to help with our bags, left feeling truly let down. I did love the hot tub in the rain though.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay at Rocpool Reserve and Chez Roux.

I am deeply saddened to read that your experience at Rocpool Reserve was less than what we would hope it would be, perfect. In every aspect of the Hotel, we strive to offer something unique, special and memorable in the hope that the end result would be you leaving extremely satisfied and looking forward to a return visit. I send my sincere apologies that this wasn’t the case.

The service we wish to offer would definitely be formal but at the same time, relaxed and unobtrusive. At no point should you be expected to do the pouring of your beverages, so again, my apologies for this oversight.

We do class ourselves as a child friendly hotel and restaurant but that being said, if a child was to be deemed by myself as disturbing then I would have no hesitation in rectifying this. For the short period the family was in the restaurant with you, I did not class the child as anything other than engaging in a playful but peaceful manner with the parents.

I am disappointed with the breakfast service received as we pride ourselves on a wonderful breakfast experience to set you up for the day ahead. Although these were small mistakes and they were rectified for you, this type of service is beyond us as we again, as I say above, look to offer perfection.

I hope that although your stay was less than ideal for you, we are able to welcome you back in the near future.