“We did not want to leave!”

Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux
Ranked #8 of 36 Hotels in Inverness
Reviewed 17 February 2009

My husband and I had a wonderful two nights in this beautiful, boutique hotel in Inverness.

The staff were very helpful, the decor was wonderfully stylish throughout and the food was wonderful. There was a lot of quirkiness - a tv in the lounge area showing fish in the day and a roaring fire at night and sweeties dotted around the reception were examples.

We ate in the hotel both nights and the food was superb - where else would you be offered lemon, lime or orange slices in your sparkling water??

We opted for a standard priced room but it still had incredible views, a huge room and a beautiful bathroom with Molton Brown toiletries.

We will definately stay again.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
Rocpool-Inverness, General Manager, Kerry Watson at Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2009

I have passed all your wonderful comments onto all the staff here at Rocpool Reserve. I am delighted that you noticed and appreciated all the small details within the hotel, for example the sweets and TV. We believe that it is the small extras and attention to detail that helps any hotel stand out from the rest. I have also passed your comments about the food onto Davey, our Exectutive Chef. We have recently changed the restaurant to Chez Roux, with the World famous chef Albert Roux overseeing all aspects of food within the hotel along side Davey. I look forward to welcoming you both to Rocpool Reserve and Chez Roux Restaurant again. Kind regards, Kerry Watson

Reviewed 15 February 2009

We were disappointed with the size of our room and the view, we underlooked the car park. We were expecting something more fabulous than we received, we had booked a 'chic' room. The hotel is very modern and immaculate and ideal location. The breakfast was fantastic. The staff are incredibly attentive which we actually found a little intrusive just because we enjoy our independence. However, I am sure many visitors would enjoy such service. Best summed up as being overpriced for what we received.

• Stayed: February 2009
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Thank you for taking the time to review Rocpool Reserve on Trip Advisor. We appreciate all comments and use them to our advantage for training purposes. All the staff at Rocpool Reserve strive to provide the best service possible which is critical to any 5 star hotel.

Reviewed 30 January 2009

We stayed at the Rocpool Reserve for one night at hogmanay, and were pleased with the room but disappointed by the stiff and rather unwelcoming service.

An accumulation of small problems took the shine off for us. The smallest was that the hotel spelled my name wrongly on our booking confirmation even though it was right there in my email address - a tiny detail, but you'd expect a five star hotel to get it right. Then there was confusion over their first night deposit policy - I didn't realise that the hotel was going to take the entire cost of our one-night stay when I made the reservation. I'm not sure whether the receptionist didn't mention this, or I misheard her, but the upshot was that until we worked it out, I thought there had been fraudulent activity on my bank account. I phoned the Rocpool and the problem was resolved rather grudgingly by a manager. As I say, this may have been a misunderstanding on my part, but the hotel didn't do anything to smooth the problem over and make up for our hassle and panic - in fact, it felt as though they were doing us a favour by letting us stay there.

When I arrived on foot, with a big case and a large present to carry, there was no-one to help me and I had to struggle up the steps. We weren't allowed to have breakfast in our room the following morning because it was New Year and there wasn't enough staff. The service we received at breakfast and on checking out was strangely formal and stiff, which is weird in such a small hotel.

The room itself was lovely, with a fantastic bathroom and great furnishings, but we just didn't enjoy our stay as much as we were hoping to. We lost faith in the hotel during our first couple of interactions, and they didn't do anything to win it back. Minor problems always occur, we understand that - it's how a company deals with them that decides how you feel about it. In this case, we don't feel we got a five star experience, and we won't be returning anytime soon.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Lorien31
Rocpool-Inverness, General Manager, Kerry Watson at Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2009

The team at Rocpool do their utmost to provide an excellent service to all their guests. A way to measure this is by monitoring websites like TripAdvisor for guest reviews. Therefore, we were disappointed to read your review. However, we appreciate you taking the time to write this review as all comments are beneficial to us in order to improve and learn as a team. Feedback, whether good or bad helps us move forward and improve our services. We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you to Rocpool again. Kind regards Kerry Watson, General Manager.

Reviewed 24 January 2009

We have just got back from a 2 night stay at the Rocpool and we didnt want to leave!
We stayed in room 5 with the hot tub on the balcony and now we are home miss it terribly!!
We were met at our car and asked did we want our bags carried in and then taken straight to the room, we didnt even have to check in. The room was gorgeous and spotless. We dined in the restaurant on our second night and the food was absolutely lovely.
Every member of staff went out of their way to make sure that we were well looked after especially the young australian man that served us at dinner.

We cant wait to go back again!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lilypods
Rocpool-Inverness, Kerry Watson General Manager at Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2009

Once again the staff at Rocpool would like to congratulate you both on your marriage. Thank you for your kind comments. Anthony (the Australian waiter) was delighted as it was his first couple of days here. We wish you all the best. Kind regards Kerry Watson, General Manager.

Reviewed 4 January 2009

My husband and I stayed here for a night away from the kids. I phoned the hotel direct to book as I wanted a specific room, and had excellent service. Confirmation was then e-mailed within an hour. When we arrived we were met at the door and taken straight to the room with no check-in admin. The staff were friendly, professional but relaxed. We were then left in peace in the lovely room with the hot tub on the balcony.
We asked for a snack later which was not on the room service menu but was delivered within a short while. All other enqs were dealt with immediately and satisfactory.
On return from dinner we asked and were given a late check out which allowed us to enjoy fully the wide choice of breakfast.
I was looking for somewhere special to enjoy a night away and certainly got it here.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pegasus36

I am pleased that you enjoyed your trip away from the children and to Rocpool. It is great to hear that we made your trip more enjoyable. Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I have passed your comments onto all the staff. Kind regards Kerry Watson, General Manager

Reviewed 14 December 2008

This was definitely the accommodation highlight of a 10 day road trip around the Highlands of Scotland. We got a good last minute deal over the internet, and may have had a room upgrade as it was even better than the hotel website led us to believe!

It is a lovely, small, brand new and spotlessly clean boutique establishment. The location is good, with the town centre a 5 to 10 minute stroll down the hill. The decor is modern, stylish and elegant, loved the fresh flowers everywhere. Free hotel parking and WiFi were a bonus.

Our room turned out to be a suite with sitting room, 2 flat screen TVs, coffee machine, lots of space and a fantastically comfortable bed with top notch linen. The bathroom was spacious with separate shower and bath, the only weird thing was the frosted glass door, which you can partially see through (could be an issue if you don't know your partner too well yet). I was a bit worried about noise as the room was right next to the bar, but we were there early in the week and didn't hear a thing.

We had dinner in the hotel restaurant one evening. It was a quiet night and the setting was fairly formal, so there wasn't a lot of "buzz", but the staff were ever so charming despite a few episodes of the dropsies. The food was delicious, as were the breakfasts. Service overall was friendly and helpful.

Overall, we thought it amazing value. For 20 pounds per night more than some perfectly acceptable B&Bs, we received twice the service, three times the space and immeasurably more comfort and pleasure. If I could only find an excuse to go back...

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AussieChick99
Rocpool-Inverness, General Manager at Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this reviewResponded 25 December 2008

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your trip aroung the Highlands of Scotland and in particular Rocpool. We always upgrade our guests where possible and it is great to hear that you enjoyed the extra room in the suite. I hope you had a safe journey home and hope you visit Scotland again in the future.
Kerry Watson

Reviewed 23 September 2008

We've just returned from a 6-night stay at the Rocpool Reserve, and both agree it's the best hotel we've ever stayed in. We were greeted at the door on arrival, given a personal tour of the facilities and then taken to our room, and what a room! We were in Room 5, with it's own private balcony complete with hot tub and views over the River Ness - the room was spacious and not only looked fantastic but smelled and looked spotlessly clean, attributes shared by the rest of the hotel. Between us we made plenty of use of the hot chocolate machine, hot tub, fabulous shower, DVD/CD Player (complete with option to pipe sound into the bathroom), and free internet during our stay. We didn't eat in the restaurant except for breakfast, a feast of croissants, pain au chocolats, toast and a choice of cereals, yoghurts, fruit juices and cooked breakfast options. I'm not usually a fan of cooked breakfasts but I tried theirs on our last morning and it was lovely and beautifully presented too! We also ate in the R Bar a couple of times where the food was simple but beautifully cooked and presented.

This hotel offers all those little touches that add up to make a stay memorable - shortbread left for us in the evenings when our room was 'refreshed'; having someone greet us whenever we returned to the hotel from a trip out to hold the door open for us and ask how our day had been; attention to detail in every area. The hotel is only a 5 minute walk from Inverness city centre (15 or so if you opt for strolling along the banks of the River Ness instead of taking the more direct route), and only a short drive from such sights as Loch Ness, Culloden Moor and Fort George, yet when we were in our room we felt as if in our own private world miles away from anywhere. I really can't think of a better way we could have spent our honeymoon and I'd recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CaffTwo
Rocpool-Inverness, General manager at Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2008

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the hotel. Everyone at Rocpool is delighted that you enjoyed your honeymoon and we wish you all the best for the future.