“Absolutely Fantastic - one of the best luxury boutique hotels in UK.”

Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux
Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Inverness
Reviewed 1 October 2009

My wife and I had went on a 7 day driving tour of the highlands and Inverness was one of our overnight stays. After a long day of driving and ferry rides landing at the Rocpool was one of the highlights of our trip. This is one of the better luxury boutique hotels I have stayed at anywhere in the world. We were lucky enough to stay in a room with a hot tub and outdoor deck. One of our favorite memories of this trip is having a fantastic breakfast on the deck overlooking Inverness. The staff was very friendly and KNOWS how to create a luxury experience. The room was equally luxurious, with a fantastic bed and decor that one would find at other luxury boutiques in either London or New York. The bathroom was outstanding.

I have traveled extensively in Europe and the US and this is one of the best. Don't have any doubts about this one.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Rocpool-Inverness, General Manager, Kerry Watson at Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2009

I appreciate the time you have taken to write your review. Obviously I am very pleased to hear what a great time you had and that you enjoyed the hotel. Our staff work hard at making our guests feel welcome, therefore I have passed on all your comments to them as it is important for them to know when a guest appreciates their work. Also good to see that you enjoyed Room 5, excellent choice and I am happy to hear that the rain managed to stay away for you to enjoy your breakfast on the deck. Kind Regards, Kerry Watson, General Manager

Reviewed 22 September 2009

Sorry to mention, but we had to leave early sunday morning at 8.10 am and at this
time there was no staff available, no breakfast served, no porter to see.
We had nice food the evening before, a fancy room, but a very unpersonal staff at the reception. For the money given it was an unadequate service and the roomservice
for an early breakfast is not available on sundays (understaffed).

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Rocpool-Inverness, General Manager, Kerry Watson at Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2009

Thank you for passing your comments onto Tripadvisor for us to review. As I have said many times we appreciate all comments, even when bad in order to improve our service that we offer to guests. With regards to the early breakfast on a Sunday, the majority of our guests do not require this service, hence us starting breakfast at 8am. Breakfast times are also stated to guests on check in. However, if these times are not suitable for a particular guest then we can arrange for a continental breakfast to be prepared by our night porter. I have spoken with the staff and management on shift on Sunday morning and our Duty Manager was here at 7.50am and actually spoke with yourself and enquired whether you would like breakfast before leaving. I am sorry if you felt we were understaffed however, it is normal practice to only have our night porters on until breakfast begins at 8am on a Sunday and 7am the rest of the week. The night porters are available to help with any guests requests. Overall I was disappointed to hear that you departed the hotel on a bad note considering you enjoyed your evening with ourselves in Chez Roux. Once again thank you for your comments. Kind regards Kerry Watson, General Manager

Reviewed 21 September 2009

We pulled into the Rocpool Reserve after a long day of golf and driving across the Scottish Highlands. The staff was incredibly accomodating, friendly and all more eager than the next to provide the best recommendations for where to go and what to do. My key rating for a hotel room is determined by the bed and shower quality, and this rates top notch on both points. The food is superb - I had an amazing salmon dish for dinner and my husband had some Scottish beef. Breakfast was great as well. While I don't think I will visit Inverness again, I would definitely recommend staying here to anyone looking for a nicer place to stop while touring the area (including Loch Ness).

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Rocpool-Inverness, Kerry Watson General Manager at Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2009

I have to agree with you with regards to the bathrooms and bed at Rocpool Reserve, the showers are excellent and we do have extremely large beds that had to be custom made. It is great to see that you enjoyed your time at Rocpool and the food in Chez Roux. Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about the hotel and the staff. Kind regards, Kerry Watson, General Manager

Reviewed 22 August 2009

my husband & i stayed at this fantastic hotel for (unfortunatly) just the one night....but it was one night of pure indulgence. The staff are very polite & attentive but not intrusive, the waitress who served us during dinner & breakfast was brilliant,even having to put up with my husbands so called "witty" humour, i'm sorry i didnt get your name but many thanks. Albert Roux's menu is amazing,we both struggled to make our minds up..therefor resulting in us both also having a fish course between our starter & main..well worth the gluttony.
We booked room ten.....WOW....emporior bed..hot tub...sauna..what more can i say. fantastic.....oh & we will be back..no doubt about it.

many thanks for a fantastic wee break

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple

Sorry in the delay in replying to you, I seemed to have missed your review while writing my replies. It is great to see that you enjoyed your time at Rocpool and Chez Roux. I have to agree that it can be a struggle to decide on what you would like of the menu. When Mr Roux sends me the menu each month I can always pick about 5 items I want straight away! It is also good to see that we were able to provide a waitress who could appreciate your husband's humour! I look forward to welcoming you both back to Rocpool. Kind regards, Kerry Watson, General Manager

Reviewed 21 August 2009

Our family took a trip to Scotland. We stayed in places based on reviews from the trip advisor community. This is one hotel where I don't agree with most reviews.

We stayed for 3 nights at the Rocpool Reserve. We had 2 rooms: a regular room and a room with a sitting room. The rooms themselves very nicely appointed, but the hotel is tiny. One of our rooms faced the street and the suite room faced a wall looking into someone else's yard. The suite room was next to the bar so it was a little noisy as people walked back and forth.

The hotel is in a very convenient location to the center of Inverness ( a 5-10 minute walk) and easy access by car to many of the Highland sights and activities. We had breakfast each morning at the hotel and the food was fine. We did not eat dinner there but it looked like it would be good.

The weirdest thing was the staff - they were nice enough to us but they all seemed really unhappy - and I must admit it rubbed off on us. We started wondering what was wrong with the place. Breakfast was especially odd as they served us with grim formality and not a great amount of competence.

I seem to be an outlier in the reviews of the Rocpool Reserve, but I felt it certainly wasn't worth the price.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Rocpool-Inverness, General Manager, Kerry Watson at Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2009

At Rocpool Reserve and Chez Roux we take great care and time in training our staff and ensuring that the service we provide is the best possible. To us the most important factor in the hotel is the staff and our service and normally we provide all our guests with an excellent level of service. Therefore, I was greatly disappointed to read that you disagree with the majority of reviews and did not enjoy your time at Rocpool. I have certainly taken all your comments on board and have already spoken with the staff involved and as with myself they felt disappointed. They take great pride in the service they provide and regret that you and your family did not enjoy your time here. With regards to the size of the hotel and the views, I am afraid that we are a small city centre boutique hotel with 11 bedrooms and as with all city centre hotels of our size, views are not always available. Thank you for taking the time to let us know your thoughts about the hotel, we appreciate someone taking the time as we use all these comments for future training and development as a team. Kind regards, Kerry Watson, General Manager

Reviewed 17 August 2009

We did not stay at Rocpool Reserve, but booked into its restaurant for a meal. It was a very pleasant experience. The staff were very attentive and helpful and it's obvious that effort has gone into training them. Had a drink in the cocktail bar while choosing from the menu. The decor is very swish and contemporary and a little different in each room. We were taken through to the restuarant and were quite surprised how busy it was on a Thursday evening. The menu was great and I really enjoyed both dishes I had - a crab souffle (I think it was crab, may not be remembering right) and haunch of lamb in a lovely rich winey, garlicy sauce. The souffle was not quite what I was expecting; it was quite runny and just crisp on the top, a bit like a creme brulee, but it was very good. The lamb was perfect and I was glad they resisted the temptation to do the British thing and bring you a plateful of insipid vegetables. The wine list was extensive and contained a good range of prices from the more or less reasonable to, well, as much as you like really. We had a new world Cabernet Sauvignon at about £22 and it was fine, but if you could afford it you could have some great fine French wines.

After these two relatively rich courses we could not manage a sweet and opted for the cheese board between us. This was the only part of the meal I would be a little critical of. The choice of cheeses was ok, but fairly predictable, but they were served with oatcakes, which personally I never think works that well unless you are having it as a snack in its own right. Anywhere I've ever been if France cheese has come with lovely French crusty bread and for me that works much better than oatcakes. I guess we could have asked for bread and no doubt they would have provided it. Had coffee, which was also excellent.

While I would not say this was the best meal I've ever had, it was of a very high standard, and it's certainly of the standard that we need a lot more of in Scotland. It's good to see a place like this in Inverness; it makes it feel like a proper city rather than the wee Scottish toon it was a few years ago. The price was fair, I thought, for the quality of food.

Just a tiny, minor criticism: while the staff were obviously well-trained and eager to please, I did not think they had the balance quite right. It's a little intrusive if there is a waiter hovering and rushing forward to top up your glass every time you take a sip of wine. They maybe need to hold back a little and allow people to enjoy each other's company. Similarly, some of the staff, I thought, were a little too conversational at times and just gave slightly too much information and comment. All in all though, they were effeicient and pleasant, so I think this is just an experience thing and hopefully with more experience and coaching they will get the balance right. Overalll however it would be churlish to be too critical. I am pleased to see the manager responds to comments in these reviews: hopefully this will be taken as a positive comment rather than a major cirticism.

I'd certainly go back again and would recommend this to anyone who enjoys good food.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Rocpool-Inverness, General Manager, Kerry Watson at Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2009

Can I take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Chez Roux. We appreciate all comments about the hotel and the restaurant as it is important for us to learn as a team and grow. Many people do not feel comfortable telling us their thoughts at the time, hence the reason I check sites like this. I am delighted that overall you enjoyed your meal and feel that our staff have been well trained. I have taken on board your comments about feeling the staff are a little intrusive at times. You are right that this is a fine line to judge and one of the hardest aspects of training in the restaurant as you need to read each guest individually as some love to sit and talk all day while others prefer to be left alone. I feel that this skill does develop with time and experience and appreciate you highlighting this. I have passed on your comments with regards to serving bread with the cheese, as you pointed out it would have been no trouble to serve you bread instead of the oatcakes if this is your preference. I know Chef Roux likes to offer the oatcakes as although he is creating a Classic French menu he is trying to use as many local products as possible. Again we appreciate all your comments and are certainly looking forward to your return visit to Chez Roux. Kind regards Kerry Watson

Reviewed 23 July 2009

I did not stay thr night at the Rocpool Reserve, but I went to the restaurant of Chef Roux. Myself and four of my friends went out for a meal at Rocpool reserve as a treat from our employer at the Loch Ness Lodge Hotel.

I have never been so imprerssed, the greeting was superb I was meet at the door by a waitress, very welcoming and very friendly, she took my coat and took me through to the bar, the Bar had beautiful decor.The barman came over and took my order for drinks whilst I was waiting for my friends. Again very friendly! When my friends arrived we had another gentelman come over I think it was the manager and he took our order for food and then took us through to Chef Roux Restaurant.

Again the restaurant as beautiful in decor, what I found was quite daunting was the Chef Roux signature and face was on just about evrything, but it was a nice touch we thought in the end!

I ordered a three course meal which represented £27.00 which I found very resonalble for a 5 star hotel & restaurant.

I would just like to thank the staff again for an enjoyable evening and I shall return again in the near future.

I would recommend the restaurant for the meal anytime!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends

Thank you for writing your thoughts on TripAdvisor. It was a pleasure to read them and I have passed your kind words onto the staff. At Chez Roux we aim to make our guests feel comfortable and relaxed throughout their time with us, and it is great to see this was the case for yourself and your friends especially as it was a treat from your employer! When we introduced Chez Roux back in April we set out with the aim of creating excellent food but at a affordable price, especially with the times being as they are. It is good to see that you also felt that your meal was value for money as well as enjoyable. I look forward to welcoming you again to Chez Roux. Kind regards Kerry Watson