Algotels
StayForLong
Trip.com
nicolas s
Milan, Italy
certainly a lovely hotel, and some recommendations for improvement
Review of Rocpool Reserve
Reviewed 18 Aug 2019
the airconditioning is incredibly noisy and looking at the units on the wall they need replacement or maintenance. without that the rooms are quite hot. the staff appears to be short of at least 1 ,hence quite stressed and in moments quite slow . rooms are very nice beds confortable . the restaurant is outstanding . also in preparation for a wedding reception, boxes etc were piled up in one of the restaurant rooms, due probsbly to lack of space, but this is not enough of an explanation .
Location
    £57
    £52
0.4 miles from Rocpool Reserve
View more hotels in Inverness
All reviews hot tub decadent room boutique hotel split level turn down service car park coffee machine huge bed stayed here for two nights biscuits one night stay town centre the river luxury scotland sauna ness
Selected filters
Reviewed 16 August 2019

My husband and I had the privilege of staying one night at Rocpool Reserve Hotel in Inverness after having spent two disappointing nights in Edinburgh. From the very beginning, we were warmly welcomed. We stayed in a basic room, but it had a very comfortable bed, functioning air conditioning, and a nicely appointed bathroom with a great shower and large bathtub. A great breakfast is also included in the price of the room. I noticed that parking is also free, although we didn't bring a car.

We also had occasion to try Chez Roux, which is the hotel's luxury restaurant. Service was excellent, and it did a lot to put us in the right frame of mind before we set off on our eight night whisky cruise to the western isles of Scotland. Many thanks to Rocpool Reserve's staff for a good stay and fine service. If we ever get back to Inverness, we know where to stay!

Room tip: We enjoyed the basic room.
Date of stay: August 2019
Rocpool-Inverness, General Manager at Rocpool Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2019

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful review with the Trip Advisor community.

I am delighted that you have enjoyed your stay to the extent that you have and I look forward to sharing your lovely words regarding service, with the staff.

Your comment of returning to Rocpool Reserve should you ever be back in Inverness is well received and I hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back.

Reviewed 14 August 2019 via mobile

Wow! What a beautiful hotel.
We booked a room with hot tub and sauna and whilst it was expensive it was a fantastic experience. Sitting on a private terrace in a hot tub that was ready and waiting was wonderful.
We had drinks in the bar followed by dinner in the restaurant. The service was exemplary and the food lived up to, and exceeded, all of our expectations.
Coming back from dinner to a room that has been refreshed is all part of the service, and made it feel very special.
Breakfast was equally good, and all served at your table; a lovely change from the self service style that many hotels seem to favour now.
It was a fabulous experience all round with well trained staff, excellent food and a beautiful suite.
I hope to have a return visit in the future, and would recommend this hotel unreservedly if you are looking for true luxury in Inverness.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Rocpool-Inverness, General Manager at Rocpool Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2019

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share such a wonderful review of your Rocpool Reserve experience.

Your kind words as well as your generous custom are hugely appreciated. I do hope you are able to return in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 11 August 2019

Check-in is a little strange since there is no front desk but staff were very responsive and polite. (You step in the hotel and the staff know that you are new and checking in.) Room was very neat and clean but a little tight and windows on bathroom door and shower wall is an acquired taste. But the property is in a very comfortable area of Inverness and is easy walking distance to downtown.

Bartender and food was outstanding. We ate in the bar each night. Matt (the Bartender) made a mean Manhattan and he would tell us which desserts to ask for from the main dining room. The "bar food" could easily go up against any high-end bistro. It completely wiped out any of our thoughts about Scottish food. Even if you don't stay at the hotel, go to the bar and eat the food!

Room tip: Most of the rooms are only accessible via stairs. Check ahead if you have a disability.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely review of your stay at Rocpool Reserve.

Your comments regarding staff and food are hugely appreciated. We pride ourselves on making sure that every dish we provide, whether it be a simple breakfast or our finer dining option, are all to the best possible standard. I am delighted that this has been recognised and helped enjoy your experience with us.

I do hope you are able to visit in the not too distant future.

David.

Reviewed 29 July 2019 via mobile

no one to welcome us in upon arrival, no reception didn’t feel a warm welcome.

• Staff felt robotic except for Daniel who went out of his way.

•The room - bed was comfortable all though it was two singles pushed together and when your paying for over priced room rates you would expect 5 star beds.
The room had one window that looked out to a wall making the room feel dark at all times.
Emergency light in room above door consistently on meaning the black out curtains may have been open as there was a constant Shine. When I called reception we where told that previous guest just put towels over the light to stop this!!! 5 star I think not!!

• coffee machine was standard not 5 star at all, not even a biscuit to go with, when paying these room rates you would have thought these would be included and not 90p each?!

• Bathroom - Elemis nice touch. Tiles on floor loose and kept catching my feet, luckily I wasn’t cut by the sharp edges. I read this in other feedback and would of hoped that the hotel may have fixed it.

• Dinner - although it was delicious the prices on booking.com where £37.50 but we where charged £49 per head for three courses?!
We had to ask for the bill as the staff where busy chatting in the other room.

• Breakfast- was he best part of the experience - local food and was served in our room.

Bar - no one to serve drinks and was VERY hot in the room so we didn’t bother.

Overall thoughts of a five start boutique hotel are not what we expected, the price we paid is what you would expect to pay in London.
If it wasn’t for my partner hiding the cost from me I would have complained on the day we checked out. (As it was a birthday present )

3  Thank scottjameslondon
Rocpool-Inverness, General Manager at Rocpool Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2019

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience when visiting Rocpool Reserve.

I am obviously greatly disappointed and to be honest embarrassed that we have not met your expectations or standards during your visit with us. Please accept my sincerest apologies for this. We pride ourselves heavily on our welcome, comfort and overall service and quite frankly anything short of this is not acceptable.

I appreciate the lovely feedback on certain elements of your stay and also the more critical feedback, which is also of great importance to us.

Unfortunately, we have no control over the small LED attached to the emergency light. The light itself is not on but this LED is, which is to make it evident of power going to the unit and it being able to power up in the event of an emergency. This is required by law, and you should not have been advised to cover this with a towel.

With regards to the beds, we want to be as flexible and accommodating as possible to all guests' needs and therefore our beds are "zip and link" which the majority of hotels operate with. The bed itself is of the exact same standard as any luxury king bed and in theory you should not notice a difference in the quality

The dinner pricing I will certainly look into, we do also clearly print all pricing on all our menus so that our guests are fully aware of all costs before ordering. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and I will address with booking.com

Again, please accept my absolute sincere apologies that we have failed on our service level and maintenance level and regardless of your negative points, I do hope that you are able to return in the future and if so, please do contact me directly (gm@rocpool.com) in order I can assist with any booking you wish to make and I will ensure you receive the experience you should have.

Reviewed 29 July 2019 via mobile

Although the staff were polite I found them slightly awkward and robotic, with a lack of warmth. It was almost as if they felt they needed to act in a certain way because of the 5 stars? Then again this could have been affected by my tiredness on arrival.

The hotel is tasteful and well decorated. The awkwardness could have been because there was no reception desk and you felt somewhat lost as you walked in.

We were in room Seven. The room is a good size with comfortable bedding and Elemis products in the bathroom and a coffee machine that could make tea and hot chocolate too - a bonus, but not a premium brand.

On the surface the room was great and met our needs for the night - it was the hottest day of the year so the aircon was heaven! The aircon was noisy and clicked, although not a problem as we both sleep deeply.

If you look at the details of the room this is where you start questioning the value of money; then again I work in hospitality design, so I might notice it more?...

The rooms are starting to look dated and could do with a refresh:

> The towel shelf was falling off the wall and resting on the heated towel rail.
> The floor is uneven in the bathroom so the tiles are starting to rise causing sharp edges that I caught my foot on a few times
> The wood surround on the sink has warped and been pinned back in place
> the view out of the room was a white wall

However the most annoying point was two single beds pushed together to form a double with no mattress topper.

The one thing that I loved was the breakfast in bed that was included. It was made from good local produce and tasted amazing. I chose whiskey cured salmon and scrambled eggs and my partner had the full Scottish including haggis - yum!

My advice to the hotel would be to close for a month in your quieter season. Look over all your rooms and fix the details as your customers do notice.

Would I visit again? No - although it does seem to be the nicest hotel in Inverness after looking around. If I was to suggest a price for the room I’d knock it down to £175 as you do expect something amazing for £275 outside of a major city.

2  Thank gttomdubber

Dear Guest,

Although I am happy to read that some elements of your stay were enjoyed, I am obviously disappointed that we have not received your full satisfaction. Please allow me to firstly apologise for the experience not being up to your standards and then allow me to send my sincere thanks for the issues you have outlined in your review. Feedback such as yours is greatly appreciated and I intend to use this feedback with the good intention it is meant. I sincerely wish that this was communicated at the time in order for us to try and rectify what we could.

I would like to reiterate, as I done in your partner’s review ‘Overpriced room rates’ that we are deeply sorry that we have failed you on this occasion and not offered the experience you deserve.