Open today: 09:00 - 18:00

from US$72.40
from US$50.00
from US$67.10
More Info
All reviews great glen way repair kit disc brakes great mountain head wind friendly customer service loch ness outer hebrides a week long trip email correspondence in perfect condition great ride coast to coast caledonian canal off road these guys dropped off
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The northern coast of Scotland is gorgeous and well worth the time and effort. My 15-yr-old son and I flew to Inverness, spent the night, and picked up our bike hires at TicketToRide. We made our reservations and deposit payments online with no problems at all. The bikes were ready, fully tuned, and of outstanding quality. We made a couple of quick swaps (toe baskets), adjusted the seats and we were off.

Lesson 1 - avoid riding West in Scotland where the winds tend to blow East. I had overestimated our average speed and our daily distance capacity - that's on me, your mileage will vary. The morning was beautiful but the afternoon began to cloud over and eventually turned to a light rain. We were prepared for that. What I had failed to prepare for was a steady head wind, a steady uphill incline, and a steady misting rain. Once we reached the highest point life improved dramatically and we had a long enjoyable coast down into Loch Carron but we were much later than anticipated (a repeated theme.) We stayed at the Loch Dubh B&B which was fabulous and we can't say enough good things about Emma and her family - wish we could have stayed longer.

Knowing what I know now, we would have taken the train with our bikes from Inverness to Strathcarron and skipped the ride West across Scotland which would have really helped us out on day 2

Day 2 - Over the Bealach-Na-Ba. My son might vote to skip this part of the trip but I am glad we did it. It was HARD for riders at our skill, strength, and stamina level. Locals later told me how folks will always offer you a ride up if you are struggling - that was not my experience. Maybe it was the way we were going because most of the traffic came at us. We got to the top. We spit on it (and other desecratory acts that males who have been on the road 8 hours can engage in...) The coast down on the backside to Applecrrss was fantastic and, had dad known what I am sharing with you now, we would've called it a day in Applecross. But, no, dad has us booked for another 50 or som miles on to Loch Maree. The coastline past Applecross was entirely worth the effort and even the undulating roadway as we turned back East was incredible. We wold have been fine if we had stayed in Annat or Torridon which we passed through just about sunset or even Kinlochewe where we wee definitely flagging but our reservation was at the Loch Maree Hotel which we got to with the aid of a VW driving Angus around midnight. I don't want to make us out as complete fools. We were traveling in the high season so there were no options to rebook and shorten our daily miles. My mistake was made months earlier when I estimated that we could do around 70 miles per day without taking into account all of the factors that would make that difficult. The Loch Maree Hotel was another great place to stay and also our first encounter with the dreaded midges. We had heard of the things and have similar sizes nuisances in the States but these things swarm and hurt. We quickly learned to stop only in dry areas with a breeze (fortunately those abound), but never stop in a wooded lowland sheltered from the wind - never.

Dady 3 from Loch Maree to Ullapool was another wonderful day. We lunched in Gairloch and then made our way to Ullapool.

A note on Scottish roads and drivers - there are many one lane roads with frequent passing zones. We joked that they seem to be adding more passing zones until they have made a two lane road by connecting the passing zones. Almost all drivers were respectful of cyclists and we did our best to provide guidance to drivers (the "Hold" hand or the "Pass" wave) when coming over blind hills or around blind corners. A few drivers (maybe 3) felt the need to ignore our "guidance" and try to pass blind with nearly disastrous results meeting campers or delivery trucks - just be aware. On 2 and 4 lane roads, the Scots drive FAST and big trucks seem to drive FASTER so be prepared to just yield all of the road. The highest spot was leading into Ullapool.

We took an extra day to rest in Ullapool and thoroughly enjoyed walking around a charming town.We stayed with Alice at the Wingfold B&B which was very nice and comfortable.

From Ullapool, we rode up to Ledmore and then took the A837 across Scotland back to Tain. We stopped at the Oykel Bridge Pub for lunch which was perfect. As we got close to Bonar Bridge, we had our first and only day of heavy rain. There is a nice new community center right across the new Bonar Bridge where we warmed up and dried off.

Tain was a nice old town where we spent the night at Shandwick House which was very nice and comfortable.

Last day was a quick trip from Tain back down into Inverness.

Our hire bikes from TicketToRide worked flawlessly and didn't require the slightest effort to maintain for our 300 mile journey. We highly recommend them!

CycleLochNess, Manager at Ticket To Ride - Bike Hire, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you so much for such a detailed and informative account of your cycle tour taking in the NC500 and accommodation tips. Really essential to book places well in advance. Great achievement and you covered some of the best of the West and glad you agree that the area is absolutely stunning with some memorable hill climbs, wide scenic glens and mountains sweeping down to the sea.
You really made good use of your time to cover what you did in the time you had available. These loops work really well to give cyclists the choice for sections of the NC500. We also do a drop off service (bike-taxi) service if folk prefer an Ullapool start for a far North West loop for example.
Glad you were so happy with the bikes - we select our road bikes with 'gravel' features like wider tyres and the ability to take a rear rack for lighter touring and the hybrid (flat handlebar) bikes work really well for the terrain in Scotland.
Thanks again for the great review.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We hired bicycles from Ticket to Ride for a 5 day Scottish Highlands cycle tour. The company was very accommodating of our specific requests, even fitting soft, comfortable saddles and particular pedals as requested. We had a technical issue on one of the bikes early into the ride on day one. A technician was dispatched to correct the fault and we completed the ride with no further problems. The bicycles at Ticket to Ride are replaced annually and were in good condition. On day six Colin arrived as requested to collect the bikes from our destination in Pitlochry. The entire experience of booking, hiring and returning the bicycles was a pleasure. Thank you to Matt, Lindsay and Colin for making this splendid experience possible.

Reviewed 1 October 2018

4 day trip hiring bikes from Ticket to Ride with transfers via taxi to Oban and from Ullapool.
All organised really efficiently and spot on with timing, would highly recommend.

Reviewed 20 September 2018

My wife and I rented road-bikes from Ticket To Ride. Our hotel was right next to the train station and our walk to the Ticket To Ride location was 10 minutes at most. It's located in the park pavilion so it doesn't have an exact street address that we could type into Google Maps but if you get down along the water it's nearly impossible to miss.

We dropped in the day before to confirm that they had bikes in our size and were pleased to see Specialized bikes fitted with 30mm tires. We were there in a bit of a wet spell so the added tire width gave my wife more confidence to ride in the rain.

The young lad there was helpful and informative so we promised to return the following day to rent the bikes. He held them for us to ensure they would be available on the following day.

When we arrived he quickly switched out their pedals to our own pedals and adjusted the seat height. After a few last minute directions on a route we were on our way along the southern side of Loch Ness. We found the roads were generally low traffic once we got out past the first traffic circle (~1 mile from the start) with some sections of off-road paved path, some double lane paved, and a good deal of single-lane paved. The inclines were mostly gentle but with a few short steeper sections. There was nothing that the average cyclist couldn't handle with ease.

Our original plan was to ride to Fort Augustus but it rained the entire ride. We stopped about 20 miles out for a bite to eat at a local cafe and for some shelter from the rain, which had been on and off all morning long. We decided to head back to the shop and were pleased to find that the first half of the ride must have been mostly up-hill as there were long stretches where we coasted downhill.

When we arrived back at the park, the young lad quickly pulled our pedals off and we were on our way. Before we were even half-way back to our hotel, the sun burst forth and warmed our faces.

It's hard to blame Ticket to Ride for the weather but a little preparation, like ensuring you have rain gear, will make renting bikes from them a joy regardless of what mother nature throws at you.

Reviewed 19 September 2018 via mobile

The weather was overcast and perfect for a Cycle ride. I wandered down to the park and hired a bike. The service was excellent, the bike in perfect condition. Instructions and maps gave me a route to follow. I cycled to Dores on a well marked track, had a great coffee at the pub and cycled back. I then joined the camel track and had an enjoyable ride down and back. A great day out on a nice bike. Highly recommend.

Reviewed 17 September 2018

Great new road bikes from specialized and they where kind to arrange transport and pick up to our hotel.

Reviewed 13 September 2018

I rented a bike for the day. It was ready to go when I arrived and friendly enough to stay open about 15 minutes late so I could get back and return the bike same day.

Reviewed 11 September 2018 via mobile

I was very happy these guys helped me out at very short notice. I contacted them only a week before the Ratrace Coast to Coast and after a couple of emails back and forth, there was a practically new Specialized bike waiting for me at the starting point. The bike was in perfect condition and fully equipped.

Reviewed 8 September 2018

Hired a great Specialized Diverge road bike (Shimano 105 equipped) to take with us as we did the North Coast 500 road trip in a motorhome around the top of Scotland (Also hired the motorhome in Inverness from rover rentals). Booking with Ticket to Ride was very easy. I gave fairly short notice but still completed the transaction a couple of days beforehand with some excellent e-mail correspondence to sort the details / payment via website.
Picked up the bike full serviced and clean, with spare tube, kit, lights with helpful staff who made sure the saddle was the right height and all was functioning properly. They even quickly resolved a squeaky front brake there and then. Used for about 75 miles of fantastic scenery.
Drop off was just as easy. Thanks guys.

Reviewed 4 September 2018

I rented a road bike and set of panniers for a 7 days from from TickettoRide, All the kit was really top notch. The bikes are obviously well maintained; I didn't have a single mechanical issue in 500 miles of cycling.

Great service from staff too!