“Not too bad - shame about the other guests”

Premier Inn Inverness East Hotel
Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Inverness
Reviewed 11 August 2012

I recently had an extended stay here that somehow conspired me to invoke the 'good night guarantee' not once, but twice! The first night was down to very noisy plumbing and the second night was down to irresponsible drunks (after I was moved to a 'quiet wing'). The staff were sympathetic and helpful, but maybe there needs to be a change of policy when it comes to allowing Friday / Saturday night bookings for young, single men.

The room was OK - it's a standard PremierInn room - but, after staying in these establishments for several years, I feel that I have to now pass on my 29 reasons for avoiding these places. Why 29? Well, there is an offer that says that you can book a room for £29 per night - somewhere in one of the 622 hotels in the UK. Here goes . . . .

1. PremierInns are located so that you can conveniently see them from major trunk roads and dual carriageways. Which means that you can listen to the traffic on the same dual carriageway as you try to sleep.
2. Car parking is normally free. Car park spaces do not fully accommodate a Mercedes Sprinter long wheelbase van (in white, of course!). Beware of short car park spaces, protected by a towing hitch.
3. You can check-in in Inverness and check-out in Norwich. The rooms are identical boxes.
4. The front desk have to go through their script when you arrive; “have you stayed with PremierInn before?” (Yes), “Are you aware of our goodnight guarantee?” (Yes). This may be fine, but I always end up on a floor full of white van men who work odd hours and arrive, very noisily, at any time of the night.
5. There are very few establishments with lifts.
6. A ground floor room with a single digit room no. is a disabled access room. Staying in such a room means that everyone else staying, eating and leaving the hotel will pass your room. Loudly.
7. There is a fire door every few metres, with a door closer so fierce it bangs shut every time, keeping you awake.
8. They have real keys for real locks. This is fine in itself, but the key fob is the size of a mobile phone. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve returned to my vehicle to get my room key.
9. There are signs in the corridor that ask guests to be respectful of guests that may be sleeping and to keep the noise down. Try telling that to the kids opposite me this weekend, running up and down the corridor at 6:30am.
10. Or the ‘lovers’ next door, at it from 4:00am to 4:45am.
11. There is a table to work on. After you have removed the 347 welcome notices.
12. Plugged into a socket at the desk is a hairdryer. I haven’t visited a barber for the last 6 years. Why is there a hairdryer plugged into the desk, hogging a potential socket to charge a smartphone?
13. The bin has a thin polythene bag to line it, with a clamp ring at the top. Cleaners love to leave this bag as tight as a drum, leaving no room for any actual rubbish.
14. As soon as you turn on the bathroom light an extractor fan starts after about ten seconds. This stays on forever after the light has been turned off (tip: use the shaving light for, err, most activities).
15. There is quilted toilet paper, there is triple-ply toilet paper, there is double-ply toilet paper and there is PremierInn toilet paper. Seriously, where do they get this stuff from?
16. The TV dates from about 1993. Widescreen? No – but they compress the picture to make it fit the 4:3 aspect ratio screen.
17. Where everyone else is offering free wi-fi, PremierInn persist with ‘free 30min wi-fi’ – regardless of the data usage.
18. Even if you spend nearly £1000 on multiple nights of accommodation, with a breakfast tacked on, the front desk cannot offer complementary wi-fi for the duration of your stay (cost for the week - £10).
19. Soundproofing? Errr, no (see above).
20. Double glazing? Errr, no. That van I mentioned earlier parked right outside your room will be leaving at 6:00am.
21. You may want to have a meal after you arrive. PremierInns have next door such establishments as ‘TableTable’, ‘Brewers Fayre’ or a ‘Beefeater’ restaurant. Real restaurants do NOT have a ‘Playzone’ for kids.
22. Beefeater restaurants now offer a loyalty card where points gained through spending can reward you with a free dessert. Everything penny I spend in such an establishment shall be claimed back in my expenses and I would never choose to eat there as a personal choice, negating the need for such a card.
23. I once read a quote from travel writer Bill Bryson; “never eat at a restaurant with photos of the food on the menu”. The menu has pictures.
24. These restaurants do not have chefs; they have cooks. And microwave ovens.
25. Get used to the following sentence – “I’m sorry, we don’t take American Express”.
26. When the 5:00am fire alarm goes off try to spot the sheepish group trying to conceal their guilt when the Fire Engines turn up and the smoke detection system identifies which room someone was smoking in.
27. After all this excitement you might need a little bit more sleep. Place the ‘do not disturb’ sign on your door and dream on. Hah! A PremierInn cleaner may not use English as their first language and those words literally have no meaning.
28. The breakfast is an all-you-can-eat Continental spread with a cooked breakfast ordered through the waiting staff. Honestly, who goes back for a second helping of such tasteless stodge?
29. After a recent extended stay I gave up on the tasteless sausages, bland bacon, damp scrambled eggs and baked beans that had never seen a saucepan. I asked for Beans on Toast once. They couldn’t even get that right, with cold beans and ‘warmed’ bread masquerading as toast (tip: stick to a continental breakfast, have an extra cup of coffee and take some mini-buns for a snack and some HP sauce sachets to improve a supermarket sandwich).

Some of the above came from this stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room to ensure that you're kept away from the late night drunks. Rooms close to...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Greyvanman
Whitbread-77, Laura Gibbins-Social Media at Premier Inn Inverness East Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2012

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at our hotel.

At Premier Inn we always strive to provide customers with a comfortable stay, and I apologise that on this occasion your stay was less than relaxing. It is a shame that your stay was tainted by actions of other guests,please be assured that the hotel staff will do all they can to prevent disturbances like this in the future.

Your feedback is very much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to Premier Inn in the future.

Reviewed 7 August 2012

Overall a good experience. We as a family have stayed in PI all over the country and are generally very satisfied. However I wish you could get an adjoining room for children as it is very difficult to get a child to sleep when you are all together, including reading papers and watching tv.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Whitbread-77, Laura Gibbins-Social Media at Premier Inn Inverness East Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2012

Thank you for your review.

I do apologise that your stay wasn’t as enjoyable as you liked. It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay.

We do have facilities were some of our hotels have the option for joining rooms, unfortunately not all our hotels have this.
When making the booking beforehand they can tell you if they have this facility.

Reviewed 5 August 2012

First of all went to the wrong premier inn in Inverness (there are 3 of them). This one isn't easy to fine - it's tucked away and there isn't good signage. Staff were very friendly and efficient, but the hotel cost over £100!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Make sure you take good directions with you as this hotel is very hard to find and the staff seem unable to give good directions. A little tired looking could do with a makeover. Food ok but no more-breakfast fruit still frozen in the middle bread and pastries no better than average but I guess it. Is a fairly cheap option. In my opinion the Holiday Inn Express is much better

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 21 July 2012

My family - 2 adults, 2 children stayed at the Inverness East and we couldn't fault it - the room was absolutely spotlessly clean and fresh and the service was excellent - the food at the adjacent Brewers Fayre was great value for money and the breakfast was fantastic. The staff were very friendly and helpful. What more could you ask for!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 July 2012

There are loads of hotels in this price range and I have tried most of them but nothing is as good as Premier Inn I wouldnt use any other hotel now

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2012

I love Premier Inns. The Premier Inn at Glasgow Airport is my favourite, so I had no hesitation in booking a one night stop over in this hotel as we were attending the Rockness festival which was close by.

The check-in staff were great and really helpful when we turned up. We got our keys for the room which was the first room on the bottom floor past reception. When we opened the door the room was a great size but it was just soooo smelly. A really horrible stinky mouldy smell and we couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Bathroom? Kettle? Living area? Not a clue! It didn't bother us at first as we were straight in to dump our stuff then out again.

When we came back, again we were greeted by lovely staff who helped with our enquiries. The bar was also a let down closing at 11pm on a Friday.

However we went back into our room, again to the mouldy smell. I managed to drift to sleep straight away but my partner had a bit more of an issue with the constant banging of doors and other, less respectful, residents bawling and chatting coming in from reception past our door. I was woken up by the noise at around 2am and from then on seen every hour until we had to leave the next day.

Not really good enough for a chain who "guarantee" a great nights sleep.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Kelly L, Social Media at Premier Inn Inverness East Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2012

Thank you for your review. It really matters to us that our guest have a comfortable nights sleep, and we guarantee this.

At Premier Inn it remains our main objective to deliver a high standard of service in all our establishments and we do apologise that on this occasion we failed to do this. Your comments have been noted and will be duly followed up by both our Customer Services Team and the Management team at this hotel.

Once again thank you for your review.