“So good we kept returning”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Strathness House

Strathness House
Ranked #15 of 247 Inverness B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“So good we kept returning”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

We chanced upon Strathness House and are so glad that we did. Initially we planned on one night but stayed three. Our room was lovely with a view over the river to the castle. It was comfortable, clean and warm with a great ensuite bathroom - lots of hot water and big fluffy towels. I especially enjoyed the downstairs guest sitting room where I could sit and read and watch the world go by, after a day of sight seeing. Breakfast was plentiful and good, offering lots of choice. Loved the porridge!
Everyone at Strathness House was welcoming and helpful, offering advice on places to visit, restaurants, and scenic walks. We were so comfortable it was hard to leave.
We absolutely recommend Strathness House as a great place to stay in Inverness and look forward to returning some time in the future.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

I stayed for a night at the excellent Strathness House in Inverness on a recent business trip.. the hotel was spotlessly clean and tidy, everything just as it should be. I was warmly welcomed in to the hotel, and taken to my room and shown how everything worked and where everything was located; much nicer than just being told which floor you are on.
My room was fairly small, but everything was there and worked perfectly, my room had a great view across the River Ness to Inverness Castle, and the location of the hotel is a short walk to the city centre.
I slept well in the comfortable bed, and the breakfast next day was all you could look for.

This hotel is ideally located, is a nice old traditional building in Inverness, but it really is the personal attention from the owners that sets it apart from the others. I will definitely return.

Room Tip: Book a riverside room, you wouldn't want to miss the view
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

We booked 3 double rooms and a single for one night. It was a surprise for my mother & father in law. The owner was helpful & assisted us well in our surprise.
The rooms were spotless, comfortable with lovely views off the river. The bathrooms have excellent showers and plenty of toiletries. Irons & hair dryers were supplied in each room as were teas, coffee and biscuits.
The house in central and breakfast was excellent, as was the service.
The only reason I've taken 1 star off overall was because of the heat throughout the night. It was too much but don't let this deter you from booking this lovely, well maintained and perfectly located guest house.

• Stayed April 2014
texavilla, Owner at Strathness House, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you very much for your kind comments and for taking the time to review your stay. We appreciate this very much. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay.
We are sorry that you felt that you could not give us full marks as you were so hot during the night. This is not usually a complaint that we have. As a matter of note, our heating goes off a a little after 12 midnight and comes back on at 5.30 am. Each our radiators can be manually adjusted to the heat you require and can be also switched off. All our windows open to allow fresh air into the rooms.
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

My wife and I stayed two nights at the Strathness House. It was great value for a clean and centrally located guest house in a historic building with refurbished bathrooms. Great full Scottish Breakfast included.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

(May have already posted a review - apologies if I have, lol)

This is a bit of a long overdue review - me and my boyfriend stayed here during the Valentine's weekend (February 14-16th). We fancied a wee weekend away from where we live and so thought Inverness would be a nice place to stay. After browsing hotels in the area, I realised that there wasn't that many within the town centre. Strathness House came up as the top hotel to stay in so I decided we would come here. Filling out the form, I indicated that both my boyfriend and I were deaf and so would need assistance should there be an emergency.

Upon arrival, we parked at the side of the street, aware that time limits were put into place. Once we checked in, the lady (apologies I have forgotten both the owners' names!) asked for my name and immediately recognised that we were the deaf couple. Fantastic that she paid attention to detail. She helpfully advised that we park the car in the public car park down the road - only £2 for 24 hours and Sunday was free.

We were taken up to the room and we were fortunate enough to have a river view which overlooked the river and parts of the town, beautiful. The room was a bit small but it was very cosy and made you feel right at home! The shower and TV worked perfectly and the small added accessories such as the kettle, hairdryer, biscuits and extra sheets/blankets were a bonus. The hotel itself is only a five minute walk from the town centre which was great. We had breakfast in the morning which was really delicious, wide variety of cereals, fruit, yoghurts and again, the lady's husband was very helpful and clear, ensuring that we understood him.

I would definitely recommend this place and I would definitely come back here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank allyballybee89
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

Strathness House is located just over the river in a perfect location for the train, shops and theatre.

We booked a last minute stay through booking.com and arrived to a very friendly welcome.

We paid extra for the room, the view was lovely, however it wasn't as big as some of the others but extremely comfortable for our overnight stay.

As avid four rooms fans we conducted a tongue and cheek check of the room and it was absolutely spotless.

On arrival we explained that I was allergic to wheat and gluten and they made sure there were gf rolls available for breakfast. The cooked breakfast was great and hosts were very attentive and accommodating.

It had great facilities and we would certainly choose this over any hotel at the same price.

The owners have made sure that this guest house lives up to the great reviews. We really hope to be back again soon!

Thanks for a lovely relaxing break!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Groningen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

We stayed here one night and we received a very warm welcome when we arrived. We were shown to our room and were given some good tips as to where to go for dinner. The room was clean, comfortable and spacious. The bathroom was a bit small, but how much time do you spend there anyway? We had a room one floor up and on the street side, which meant we had to be careful not to let pedestrians passing by peek into our room, but that goes for any first floor room I suppose. The location of the hotel is excellent: View of the river and castle, on the same street as many good dining places and walking distance from the centre and attractions. In the morning we had our breakfast order freshly cooked and the owner provided us with some good tips to continue our car journey through Scotland. All in all a great experience and I would easily stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay away from the street-side rooms if you can't stand cars passing under your window. The view...