“Not what we expected of a Tourist Information Centre”

Inverness VisitScotland iCentre
Ranked #9 of 94 things to do in Inverness
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: VisitScotland Information Centre based in the centre of Inverness. Let us inspire and inform you on places to visit, things to do and gifts to buy. We book accommodation, a wide range of tours and transport options, and have free wi-fi access.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We asked the girl at the desk if they did the Book-Ahead accommodation service and she said that we should go to Waterstones!!!
We then noticed the desks at the back and went to them asked the same question. The young lad there looked rather blank but he did ask the lady standing behind him.
We did wonder whether he was on his first day of work experience as he did know even how to put the phone on hold!
We were asked what price range we were looking at - as we had no idea of the price in the area we couldn't really say. He then looked up some B & Bs in the area requested but had to ring each one to find out how much they were. In other Information Centres this has been on the computer screen. He did manage to fix us up with one - partly because by that time we'd lost the will to live and were running out of time on our parking ticket.
The member of staff whom we had presumed to be his mentor deserted him and went to gossip with her colleagues.

1  Thank Janet C
Ranald_Gilbert, General Manager at Inverness VisitScotland iCentre, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi Janet,

Of course I'm disappointed to read a review where we failed to meet your expectations, but my first job is to thank you as your feedback is invaluable in finding ways to improve our service.

I think one of the key issues that we have taken here to follow up with the staff is that it is vital that we don't make assumptions and remember that our visitors know what they need better than we do! Whilst the term Book-Ahead might have been unfamiliar to some of our staff (particularly those in their first season), the correct course of action is to find out more information rather than pick up on one aspect of it and try to guess the right answer - whilst Waterstones may be a great solution to finding books, it clearly wasn't the right option in this instance and as such we could and should have taken the opportunity to get more information from you before suggesting this to you.

Clearly knowing how to use the phone is also a lesson that can be (and indeed we have) covered with the staff in the iCentre, although the procedure you outline (establishing an indication of budget along with other requirements/preferences, contacting the providers to confirm availability and price) is exactly what we require of staff when making accommodation bookings as our system does not hold live pricing and availability information.

What is not in keeping with procedure or acceptable standards is to abandon a colleague (and by extension customer) in order to gossip with another member of the team. We have discussed your review with the team and reiterated these standards and will continue to monitor their delivery both directly and through customer feedback such as your own, taking action where required to support and reinforce them.

On a positive note I am at least happy that despite your frustrations with the process you found your stay at Westhaven enjoyable. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip and that you will find any future visits to iCentres to be a more positive experience in line with your expectations and indeed mine.

All reviews
"tourists"
in 6 reviews
"books"

Reviewed 3 June 2018

We wanted to find out how to take the bus to Culloden Battlefield and the lady at the iCentre gave us a map and explained where to catch the bus and the cost. We had no trouble going and from the Battlefield.

Ranald_Gilbert, General Manager at Inverness VisitScotland iCentre, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2018

Hi Sandie,

I hope you had an enjoyable trip to Culloden and thanks for sharing your experience.

Reviewed 22 May 2018

As soon as I got out of hotel I visited the Inverness Visit Scotland iCentre. The girls there were very helpful and offers me tips and hints on things to see , how I d go to Culloden Moore and Clava Cairns and provided me with a map of the city . Its a must if you want to explore the city and the surrounding landmarks at your own pace though a walking self guided tour around it.

1  Thank nikofoivos

Thank you for leaving a review and it's always a pleasure to hear that the team have been able to help a visitor see what they want at the pace they choose. Clava Cairns is one of my favourite places to spend time so I hope you enjoyed it (and that if you saw a gentleman walking a large excitable Husky that he/I said hello!)

Reviewed 22 May 2018

I went in to locate maps and find out about hiring a car for a day trip. I was serviced by a very courtises gentleman and he provided me with a full list of hire companies and email addresses. He gave me suggestions of places to see and go. Very helpful

Hi Gretta,

Great to hear the gentleman on duty was able to give you the information you were looking for as well as some additional suggestions to get the most out of your trip. I hope you enjoyed your day!