“Creepy”
Review of Strathisla B&B

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Inverness
Strathisla B&B
Ranked #207 of 229 Inverness B&B and Inns
Glasgow
“Creepy”
Reviewed 6 October 2009

Myself other half and some friends travelled to Inverness to take part in the Inverness marathon, understandably Inverness was pretty full, so i was delighted when I stumbled accross the Strathisla who could accomodate us all.
My delight was short lived.
When we got to check in at 4pm in the afternoon, we were greeted by the owner !! At first we just thought perhaps just an excentric, until he told us how to operate the door knob!! Several ramblings later we managed to shake him off and get into our rooms which were basic and clean enough, however freezing cold and non of ther rooms were en-suit which we were aware of before we arrived, this didn't cause too much hassle as my party took up all 3 rooms in the house and we managed to work it between us.
However, instructions were everwhere, when you could and could not shower, when you had to be out fo the house each day, between 10am and 4pm for their family time etc.
A couple of us had gone back to the GuestHouse early only to be greeted athe door by the owner who seemed to appear from nowhere and gave us into trouble for not closing the gate!
The following morning at breakfast, he couldn't have been more rude. One of asked if we could hav breakfast without scrambled egg, he promptly snapped at us "Thats what we asked for the night before, so thats what your getting"
He then gave us into trouble for not putting the tea pot on the stand, and for one of us not using the saucer, even though the cup was on a place mat !
He then barged into the breakfast area and asked my other half specifically, if he had left a light on in the room? "if your not in the room, the light goes off"! how the hell did he know there was a light left on????????
I didn't feel welcome and I didn't feel comfortable staying there. I definately wouldn't recommend staying there to anyone, it was all too odd and strange and didn't know what the hell the owner was talking about the majority of time with his incoherent ramblings about nothing and everything. I really dont enjoy writing anything negative about anything or anybody, but I have never stayed anywhere like this before, nor would i want to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
4 Thank Glasgow1976

Ireland
Reviewed 8 October 2008

Stayed last weekend wearing two jumpers and thick socks as it was freezing. suitcase sized radiator not enough to heat the room and only on a certain time ( a hour!!) Must have a shower on certain time one a day! Basically kicked out of the room from 10am to 4pm in the cold due to their 'Family Time'. Find the owner very rude. Told us off for leaving the light on while having breakfast. No choice for breakfast and very bland. Would not recommend it at all.

• Liked — Nothing!!
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank ddee74

Travellers are raving about these Inverness hotels

dublin
Reviewed 3 September 2007

stayed for three nights. no ensuite rooms, have to climb down a steep stairs to use toilet. restictions on when to use shower (only one shower per person per day). lists of instructions for everything everywhere such as putting loo seat down after use, keeping windows closed, weird things. your only permitted in the b+b at certain times of the day, which suited us because we avoided the place as much as possible. the owner would baffle sigmund freud! only stayed because getting accomadation in the first instance was a night mare, everywhere else i tried was booked up. breakfast was average. rooms were clean.

• Liked — close to city centre
  • Disliked — owner,rooms, rules and regulations everywhere, breakfast
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank DublinRuby
Australians living in London
Reviewed 14 July 2007

This property is possibly run by a gentleman with severe social issues. He is rude, in your face, enjoys lengthy monologues on irrelevant information, will cackle unnervingly to himself and is constantly monitoring where you are going and what you are doing. He has specific rules for every step of your stay so if you like over the top structure this place might be for you (i.e. lists on the backs of doors and on walls of what you can and can't do). My wife was scolded for having the window ajar while the central heating in the house was on even though she had no control over the heat of the residence and we needed some air!! Also you can't be in the residence between 10am and 4pm as this is his "family time".

His wife and children appear lovely however we had little interaction with them.

The breakfast was bland and unexciting.

The place is clean and well appointed however and the rooms have nice TV's and access to sky which is unusual for B&B's.

Overall Strathisla could be a lovely place to stay if the owner wasn't there!

• Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
5 Thank joandaaron
New York
Reviewed 14 May 2007

Strathisla B&B – Scottish Nightmare

All it took was 5 minutes at the front door of this disastrous B&B for me to experience what a complete nightmare Strathisla is.

Once we carted our suitcases up to the front door of the Strathisla, I began to search the door for a bell or some sort of method to inform the owners we were there. I must have placed my hand on the door knob when immediately the door flung open and a short, red-haired man started screaming “don’t do that, don’t you do that!” Confused, I listened to this unkempt man accuse me of barging into his house. I was exhausted from our 12 hours trip to Inverness, and was simply looking for a way to let them know we were there to check in.

I tried to apologize and explain that I was just looking for the doorbell, but he cut in and basically told me to shut up, that his “kids were sleeping”. His speech and tone were menacing and threatening.

Next, he rudely scolded us for carting our 25kg suitcases up to the door. He said we needed to carry them and then finally concluded that we could not bring them in. He told us to take our luggage back to the car and that all we should bring in was our toothbrush. He actually wouldn’t let us keep our belongings in the room!

Seeing the look of shock on our 4 faces at his horrid behavior, he finally told us to find somewhere else to stay. It was 9pm, and we were now stuck in a foreign country with no place to stay.

After a 6 hour flight to Dublin, a 1 hour flight to Edinburgh and a 3 and a half hour drive to Inverness, all me and my 3 travel companions were looking for was a decent place to get a good night sleep. We were exhausted yet excited to pack it in and rest up for some exploring the next day. What we were greeted by was a horror that no traveler should have to experience.

Inverness is beautiful, but please avoid the Strathisla B&B at all costs. In 5 minutes I was yelled at for touching a door knob, told to shut up because I was too loud, told I couldn’t keep my bags in my room, and finally asked to leave. He also stole $20 from me when he charged me the deposit on the rooms I reserved. The owner is a sincere maniac and should not be allowed to provide any type of service to anyone. I felt embarrassed and ashamed of my Scottish heritage in front of my friends because of the way we were treated. Please, please avoid this B&B.

• Liked — The price and location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
14 Thank Worldtrvlr319