“Very surprised”

Inverness Youth Hostel
Reviewed 11 December 2012

i was pleasantly surprised when I came here as I thought it was a typical youth hostel, but in fact it was anything but!. I was greeted by a pleasant chap who asked if I had had a plesant journey. I booked a bed as I was only here for the night and I ended up getting a private room. Ok so it was a small ensuite room but it was perfect for the amount of money i paid. All the staff i spoke with were extremely friendly and chatty. It was just painted inside so it was bery fresh and welcoming. I didnt eat here as they have self catering facilities and i was only there for a sleep, but I will definately be back with my friends as I couldnt fault anything.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 29 October 2012

Clean, large room, with standard issue creaky SYHA beds. The kitchen was clean, with everything you needed.

Peaking into a micro room, they do look very micro.

Exactly what you expect from SYHA, in a city.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 October 2012

We spent there one night and I have to say I had great experience. There is a self-catering kitchen which is huge and well equipped. We had room for 6 people with a sink and mirror over that. The storage lockers are in good size. The communal room is large, there's also the cafe area in front of reception. The breakfast was continental with wide choice of food, hot drinks and juices. Showers and toilets were clean however there were missing toilet rolls in 2 cubicles.
The hotel is situated not far from the city, about 15-20 mins by walk where you find wide range of restaurants and bars, and the supermarket Morrisons is about 10 mins from the hostel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 October 2012

An extremely large hostel that came across as rather stern, a bit industrial, a bit clinical, a bit of a machine, with its 'drinking water' stickers, swipe-card doors and large empty feel. I don't know... other SYHA hostels we stayed at (eg. Ullapool) just seemed a wee bit homelier. My boyfriend and I were also put out when we got to our room and found we had been given sole use of a four-bed dorm instead of a double room as requested.

For it's positive points, the place is clean, the self-catering kitchen is huge, smartly equipped and well organised, the receptionist was helpful in finding us places to eat, and the hostel is a short walk through pleasant streets to the town centre. And we liked Inverness a lot.

Our impression of SYHA though is that it is getting pretty overpriced. As members we paid £48 for the room (£52 non-members)... yet elsewhere in Scotland for a couple quid more we stayed in some charming B&Bs with all the little luxuries they provide like snuggly floral-quilted beds, watercolours on the wall, and a big yummy fry-up for breakfast with homemade jam. Oh, and free wi-fi.

Yes, SYHA... Free wi-fi. Not £1 per 20 minute wi-fi. Seriously.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2012

The hostel is purpose built and the facilities are excellent. There is a large, easy to access cycle store with proper racks, an effective drying room and a very well equipped self-catering kitchen. The communal areas are large and comfortable. Dormitories have plenty of space and also storage for luggage. Showers are a little basic (more like a gym) but work well and are clean.
The staff were very helpful when I was there.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 August 2012

i stayed here for monster swim last weekend. from what youexpect from a hostel facilities were basic, hence cheap price, but more importantly i found it to be very clean. bed linen clean, toilets clean and kitchen facilities very clean. it was noisy with doors banging but did quieten down towards midnight and i had a good nights sleep. beds were basic but to be honest for the price i found it better than the b and b i stayed in the next night which was nearly triple the price !!! you get what you pay for with hostels but if clenliness isnt an issue then i think they are good value, and this certainly is. I shallbe staying for nest years monster swim, would recommend if you are considering budget

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 August 2012

We stayed there for 4 nights with our two girls aged 9 and 13. We had a room that had 2 bunk beds. The room had a basin in it which is handy and 4 lockers. The room was large but you could only open the window about 3-4 cm which I could understand as they obviously don't want people or kids falling out of them. The pillows were flat lucky we bought our girls pillows and we were able to have an extra a pillow each for my husband and I. The bathrooms were great, showers worked really well and the stalls were large. Kitchen was a really big and lots of kitchenware and clean. Only 2 refrigerators which must get full if they have a lot of people but we had no problems. Overall it was fine. We have only stayed at 2 Youth Hostels this being the second one. The only issue we had was noisy neighbours for all 4 nights, you could hear people above and beside you. Staff were really helpful with tourist attractions and looking up things on the internet for us. There is a shop about 10 min walk away which is handy.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family