“"Liya Wang and the Catastrophic Clatter"”

Inverness Youth Hostel
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Well where to begin... Myself and my female relatives had a magnificent stay in this hostel. It was clean, cosy and comfortable. The welcome was nice and we met a fun-time, American lady on our way to find our room. She introduced herself as "HEY, WHAT'S YOUR NAME" and revealed she was loitering with intent, to charge her self-proclaimed, "'s*** tablet" that was obviously not meeting her gadgetry requirements. Nice lass. Very forward.

We found the room at last, our feet were blistered from the maze of corridors we had toured accidentally en route. It was like being on a school trip. I entered the key card for the door in the slot with little success. It took a few go's, I'll admit. My sister ended up stepping in and managed first time. I'm sure it was some kind of black magic? Anyway, the room was simple but fine and dandy. We were getting stuck into making our beds and getting prepared for a ninja style entry to the room after our return from the pubs later that evening. There was a pair of shoes by one bedside so we bargained for at least another 'roomie', it is a hostel after all and that is the nature.

We all got ready and walked down to the town. We read it was a 20 minute walk from the hostel but we thought it was more like 10, unless you had a gammy leg. The Inverness nightlife... Ah, well that is something special.. If you enjoy creepy men, crap clubs and dreadful banter, this is the place for you! We somehow made the most of it and a great night was had by all. Top of the pops.

On our return to the hostel, all was quiet so we crept into our room (with my sister opening the door). We grabbed our wash bags and used a bathroom across the hall to get ready so as not to disturb the other lady in the room. We headed back quietly, ready for bed but getting into the creaky beds without a sound was virtually impossible.. All settled, darkness.

The next thing I know, there is 'The Mother' of all snorts...... Oh no! We've got a snorer!!

I turned over and tried to get some shut eye with my thin pillow folded several times to block out the sound and a bit of spinny-room. I was on a top bunk so there was no anchoring a foot to the floor this time. About ten minutes passed and everyone was drifting off.

'CRASH! BANG! WALLOP! ARGH! BANG!

I got a huge fright from the biggest bang I have literally ever heard. I thought the ceiling and floor had given way.. The room shook!! Everyone went from half asleep to lights on and up in about a millisecond.

What met our and our 'roomie's'' eyes was completely unexpected. There was a middle aged, Asian woman of a larger build, lying splattered on the floor. It turns out she was a second lady staying in the room who we had not seen in the dark and now she was unconscious on the hard, cold floor. We all rushed around her as it was obvious that she had fallen from a top bunk and missed the ladder.. No waaay! Instead of landing on the entire room of floor space, she'd launched herself so that she took out a table on the way down. The table was now wedged between the window, the radiator and her heid. It was pretty bad. She came around fairly soon after and managed to get up onto a chair. She wanted some time to "sense her body" and was groaning a lot. Her mouth was slightly bleeding and she had walloped her neck. She unnecessarily proceeded to apologise for every minute that passed until an hour or so later when the ambulance arrived, "I'm so sowwy, please go back to bed" I lost count at one hundred even though we were doing our best to reassure her everything was fine. She spoke average English which was a little lost in translation sometimes. My cousin witnessed her telling the Paramedic that her head 'danced' off the table instead of 'bounced', try not to smirk! It was like a sleepover gone wrong. My sister had fetched the lovely night porter, Andrew, who was extremely kind and professional whilst handling the situation. He had the patience of a saint! Miss Wang went off in an ambulance after a lot of persuasion and groaning that she was ok. It turns out she was fine after all and the great stramash was over.

Although the accident in itself was not funny, trying not to laugh in an inappropriate situation whilst being slightly drunk is very difficult! Even now, as I am writing this, I cannot help but erupt.. You had to be there. I'm delighted she was ok and didn't mind the lack of sleep at all. I slept like a baby from 4am until 6m until an entire coach load of Chinese people packed up and left, early doors on the floor above. I honestly thought they were having a line dancing class before they went, the stomping was endless.

We got up at 9am for checkout this morning and the room erupted with giggles to recall the day and night before. You couldn't make it up.

All in all, we had a grand time and the hostel was lots of fun. We made a few memories, that's for sure.

Cheers!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Danielle H

Reviewed 25 June 2014

My first impression of this hostel is how far out of town it is. Inverness being obviously a small city, I expected even budget accommodation to be conveniently located, but I was in for a surprise because this hostel is not just right on the edge of town, but also away from the main road, and therefore hard to find. Front desk staff is friendly and check-in process efficient. The main reason I am giving it a "poor" score is you are expected to make your own bed and the bottom sheet provided was clearly too small for the mattress. I eventually managed to fit my bottom sheet after a long irritating struggle, after which I reported the problem. They told me the staff had supplied the wrong size of bed linen -to me, and to my room mate, who got exactly into the same infuriating palaver and like me, did succeed in making his bed after much sweating and swearing in the dorm (I was too late to explain to him that a proper-size sheet WAS available). Other that that, the layout of the building is unnecessarily spread out, with two wings separated by what feels like way too many key card-controlled locked doors (which might be good if you are paranoid about security but I again found quite irritating). The laundry room is good and the drying room, if you can find it, even better, but beware it lies quite discreetly behind a door behind the laundry room and it is quite possible to miss it entirely. Generally I felt I didn't get a good deal at this hostel having paid £17.50 for the night and considering the absurd, awkward location, the fact that WiFi is far from free, the building looks quite soulless and uninteresting and its sheer size and design make it less than user-friendly. Many SYHA hostels close down every year (to be replaced by new ones) and it will not surprise me at all if this one is one of them.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near/on the ground floor (it is a big building with no lift!)
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Steven G
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed on two separate occasions at the start and finish of an outdoor trip with 6 mates. We were looking for basic accommodation, just somewhere to sleep that was cheap. The hostel is huge and seemed to be purpose built and was pretty empty when we were there, kitchen is massive and everything seemed very clean. The people on reception were also very good to deal with (not that we had any problems to test them. Only complaint would be that the rooms were quite hot and had thin walls so people coming in after nights out could be heard.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 March 2014

This hostel was almost empty when we stayed there and was quite expensive for off season. The worst part was the fact that it was in a phone black spot and so could charge prohibitively extortionate amounts for internet which could only be used in a very small area. The location is no where near as good as they make out.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ghrty
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Whilst facilities are good and rooms clean and comfortable, my stay was spoilt by the inconsiderate room next door. Rooms have very thin walls, so I was woken at 3.30am by loud stomping, laughing and shouting. I did find someone on reception to complain to however although he was sympathetic and asked them to keep the noise down they paid no attention to his polite request. It was some time before the noise stopped. This type of behaviour should not be tolerated and 'guests' who are this noisy should be asked to leave. I left the next morning but had I been booked in for another night I would have cancelled and moved somewhere else.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank stiyt
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I stayed here for one night in December 2013. I arrived fairly late and left early so I didn't use most of the facilities. The whole hostel, particularly the kitchen and bathrooms, was spotlessly clean and the communal areas were spacious. The staff were friendly and helpful. The bedroom did get pretty hot, particularly as I was in the top bunk, but that's better than being too cold if you're trying to sleep. The hostel was also very quiet: unfortunately the bedroom walls are very thin and I could hear someone snoring extremely loudly on the other side of the wall and I wasn't able to do anything about it!

I think some of the people who are complaining about having to make their own beds haven't really understood the idea of Youth Hostels - they're not ordinary hotels.

Overall, I had a good trip and I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

Accommodation adequate for a short break via train transport. However found it expensive compared to other accommodations around Scotland. Thankfully Morrisons which you will have to pass on way from station have won fish & chip award 2013. Inverness is short of cheap B&B's.

• Stayed: October 2013