“Ben Nevis and beyond”

Blythedale Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #61 of 111 Fort William B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Just spent two night at this little gem of a bed and breakfast. It's in a great location within 10 mins walking distance of Fort William. There is ample car parking space at the front of the hotel as well.

We arrived at around 4pm and were given a lovely warm welcome from Audrey and shown to our rooms. We had a lovely double room at the front with fantastic loch side views. Both rooms were immaculately clean and very comfortable.

We were a party of walkers up in highlands to tackle Ben Nevis on what must have been one of the hottest days in Fort William. Audrey was very accommodating and we were allowed to have an early continental breakfast on the day of the walk. The following day we tucked into English and Scottish cooked breakfasts which were delicious with a great choice.

The weather was great and we enjoyed drinks in the residents lounge on our floor and the Patio area outside.

Audrey knows the area and well and was able to suggest good restaurants and some good tourist attractions .

Thanks for a great stay, would definitely recommend .

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
ajarob, Owner at Blythedale Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us & appreciated the facilities that we provide. We wish you all the best with your next mountain venture & if you are in Fort William again, we will always be happy to accommodate you.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at this B&B for 2 nights on July 14th & 15th July. We arrived shortly before 7p.m. after a long drive in the rain. We were greeted warmly and shown to our room. We were given a sheet to tick off our requirements for breakfast which had to be in by 8p.m. otherwise it would be assumed that we would not require any - no friendly reminder would be given! We knew that booking out time was by 10 a.m., what we hadn't realized was that we were expected to be out by 10 a.m. every morning until 4p.m. whatever the weather! Even if it was raining and we stayed in our room and made the bed ourselves we would not be given fresh towels nor have our coffee/tea/milk replenished. There was no suggestion that we could sit in the lounge while our room was cleaned. The landlady said she had a life to live and we would have to put up with the Scottish weather (we're both in our 70s)! Luckily the weather was good the next day, but if we had stayed another day we would have been expected to go out in the rain.
I can say, however, that the breakfast was good, and the room was spotless and very comfortable,but I would not recommend this B&B., nor would I stay there again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in a different B&B.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mike L

Thank you for your positive comments on our breakfast & clean rooms which are so clean because we are able to service them on a daily basis. As this part of our work can take us up until lunchtime, we do ask our guests to vacate around 10am. After this job is finished there are always others waiting to be done & we don't think it too unreasonable to have some time for ourselves before new guests arrive.
We try to give as much information as possible on websites so that potential guests can see what we offer & to help them decide if our accommodation is right for them.
At no point were you told that you couldn't come back until 4pm. & the sheet of paper you refer to is a breakfast menu left in your room for you to choose your preferred breakfast.
We are sorry that we did not meet your requirements.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

e stayed for 1 night in this excellent accomadation. the place is spotless and the room was bright and airy with fantastic views from the window. Breakfast was very good with a wide choice. The owner is very friendly and recommended a great place to eat.

Room Tip: Rooms to the front of house have fantastic views
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed 2 nights and this is quite frankly, the cleanest home I have ever seen, including my own. If I could take Audrey home with me I would. Breakfast was wonderful and the view is spectacular. Thank you for an enjoyable visit.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed two nights and the accommodation was excellent. The room and ensuite was clean with views of the local deer from our window. The breakfast was excellent and the landlady kindly made us a takeaway breakfast for our last morning there as we had to leave early to catch our train.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Everything about this place was so great. It is very close to the centre. I enjoyed my breakfast, all the ingredients were local. I had a lovely loch view from my window. So lovely and quiet. Everything was perfect. I highly recommend this place to anyone planning to visit Fort William.
Stayed April 2014, travelled with my boyfriend.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We stayed here for a night. Place was easy to find based on the instructions available on their website. The room was clean and cosy. The bathroom was well equipped with towels,soap, shampoo etc unlike some pricier hotels that try skimping on these. Breakfast was good too. Only problem I had was being told that we could not bring food into the room. I was bone tired from the long drive from Edinburgh and all I wanted to do was crash into the bed. On such days we usually resort to one of those products that need just some hot water or my husband gets me some take away. I think the rule should be mentioned in their reservation confirmation mails. But other than this hiccup we were quite satisfied with this place.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple