“Party On!”

Fort William Backpackers
Reviewed 18 August 2011

Second visit here - first in 1995 and then back in 2011. You know what's really lovely? It hasn't changed one iota, and god bless it for that! It's warm, friendly, cosy, and welcoming. The staff are terrific, and despite my getting so drunk in town that night that I ended up locking myself out of my dorm half naked, and having to sleep in another random dorm (thankfully there was a vacant bed...I think) I had a ball! The front balcony was perfect for a few pints before heading out - it has great atmosphere and we actually got a little sun - yes, sun! What a great day, what a great hostel, and what a headache the next day on the road to Mallaig. No amount of Barocca, Nurofen Plus, Alka-Seltzer, water, fresh fruit or fresh air was going to dull that baby - and I have you to thank Fort William Backpackers, you in all your glory for those of us who treasure your cosiness-ness and hospitality. I'll be back one day, and do it all again! Don't you go changin', ya hear!

Room Tip: Expect party opportunities
2  Thank JudeDudes

Reviewed 17 August 2011

Don't stay here if you want a soulless clinical hotel or if you want to be alone and not interact with others. Don't stay here if you want everything to be new, perfect and shiny. Don't stay here if you can't walk / cycle uphill (actually don't come to NW Scotland if you don't like hills)

DO stay here if you want a chilled-out relaxed experience where you make new friends eat with others, cook with others, get invited out into town with the staff and other guests, play the resident guitar or listen to it played.
I really enjoyed my two days here and was made very welcome even though I did feel like the "old man" at 43 yo. The staff were great and the views from the house were amazing. But this is a house which feels lived in. The kitchen gets used a lot and is a bit small - this means you have to talk to each other! The team of staff work hard to keep the place clean.
Rooms are communal dorms.
Wifi is free (using a PC is £1 for 30 mins)
Links in to the McBackpackers set up of tours and transport
Only two shared bathrooms
A great lounge is available for guests
Reception is closed 12-5 but if you have a booking you can still come in and use the shower and kitchen "make yourself feel at home" says the sign
The drying room is effective but very small
Breakfast is £2 for toast cereal, juice coffee etc.
Free tea and coffee are available all the time
There is reggae music 'til 10.30 which i think helps the atmosphere although others may disagree.
Location is excellent really close to Ft William town centre / Morrison's supermarket etc
Camping available
I have to say that I didn't really like staying in a named bed called "sheep shagging" either...didn't mind Rabbie Burns or William Wallace too much though.
This place fills up every night in summer which is testament to its popularity.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Chris_Roberts
Reviewed 15 August 2011

We stayed one night. Got drunk at the hostel. Got drunker in Fort William. Locked ourselves out of our room so slept in spare bed and on the couch. Staff seemed OK except for the guy who went off at me for making a hot chocolate at 2.00am. Can't really say much more about the place but I am sure you get the picture.

Room Tip: Don't leave your key inside your room.
Reviewed 24 July 2011

After having backpacked alone for 3 1/2 months around Europe, I've been to many hostels all around Europe...this is the first hostel that's actually a house and feels very cozy and quiet. They've got a dining room where you could sit by the couches and relax, or a backyard to read your book out in the sunshine. I've read the reviews of some of the people that stayed here and I don't think they've seen some of the hostels in the bigger cities such as Amsterdam. On a backpacker's rating of this place, I'd give it a 4.5/5. This hostel is definitely very well maintained on a daily basis, I've never seen a house been cleaned by a handful of staff (felt like they were cleaning their own house)...they were cleaning the top of door window curtains and even behind sofas, something which I've never seen that being done in any other hostels.

Rooms are very well kept as they were tidy and clean. You get your own bed liner for cleanliness. The beds are in very good condition as they don't squeak at all and you get 2 pillows instead of one (nice to have). There's only a handful of showers but I've never had the problem of having to wait for one.

Lastly, the staff has been fantastic! I've gotten to know most of them in the couple of days and they have been incredibly friendly and accommodating in helping me to find accomodations in Portree, Isle of Skye. They called a couple of places in Skye for me and told me which places were available...it really saved me time and money in having to figure out where to go and stay. I've been backpacking for months and when I came to Fort william I decided to stay for 4 days as both the views from the hostel and also the ambience of the place gave me a lasting impression of Fort William. If I ever come back to town, I'll be sure to stay in the same place! Thank you Andy and Terrance for all your wonderful help!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank cyrres
Reviewed 12 July 2011

All in all, hostel was okay enough for a one night stay. I personally didn't like the pervetric names on our beds, but some might find it amusing. The house was nice, but quite damp and not very clean. Service was friendly, so I definetly would say we were treated well. But personally, I am accustomed to a certain level of cleanliness and I was also freaked out by the lack of privacy. Unisex showers are definetly my thing!!!!

1  Thank aino_bear
Reviewed 1 July 2011

I was a bit worried at first with the other reviews on here so went with an open mind because it was the cheapest hostel in Fort William.
This hostel is absolutely fantastic. It's a beautiful old house. The staff were so friendly and helpful. The reception didn't open until 5pm but like the sign says "Make yourself at home and help yourself to the free tea, coffee and hot chocolate in the kitchen".
Free wi-fi! Didn't get that anywhere else..
Thankfully they had a bike shed to store my bike while I hiked Ben Nevis. They even loaned me a map. Take no notice of the other reviews here. Go and check it out for yourself. I'll be back for sure.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank kafoozalem
Reviewed 22 May 2011

Nice place with lounge to relax in and clean rooms.

• Stayed: May 2011