“Excellent B & B”
Review of Glengyle House

Glengyle House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fort William
Glengyle House
Ranked #73 of 111 Fort William B&B and Inns
Wigan, United Kingdom
“Excellent B & B”
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Just stayed there one night recently. Guest House has parking which some don't. We arrived too early in the day to check in but the owner was happy to let us leave our cars there. When we went back to check in everything was excellent. I was sharing with a friend in a twin room. The room was well decorated and spotlessly clean as was the bathroom. Lots of hot water (unlike the hotels we had been in the previous two nights) and a hair dryer provided with a plug socket next to the mirror (again unlike the two previous hotels). It may seem obvious to say it but these are little touches that can make all the difference to a rating because they matter when you arrive and you're tired and just want a shower etc. Location is good, easy to find and a short walk into the town centre for something to eat in the evening. Would recommend this Guest House and would stay there again if I was ever up in Fort William again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London
Reviewed 14 September 2012 via mobile

This is a great B&B. We stayed in the room with the King sized bed- it was better than some of the 4* hotel rooms I have stayed in. Very clean and cosy. The best thing about here is that it isn't based on the main road- alot of the B&Bs in Fort William are which could mean a noisy room. It is only a 5min drive from the start of the Ben Nevis trail as well. The hosts were lovely and can't get my head around some of the previous 'hostile' reviews regarding their hospitality- some people really are too sensitive. What's wrong with organising a time for breakfast? Means you get your food quicker and provides a better service. More choice on breakfast that the other B&Bs we stayed in. Would certainly return if we go to Fort William again.

• Stayed September 2012
Reviewed 31 August 2012

My partner and I stayed at Glengyle House for three nights during the English August Bank Holiday weekend. This was my first time ever staying at a B&B so I didn't have any expectations. I was very pleased with our room, the hostess, the rate, location and our stay in general. I would highly recommend this B&B.

Other guests reviews have taken issue with the hostesses hospitality, however, I found her extremely pleasant. If you are expecting her to make you tea and sit in the lounge with you and chat for hours then, no, this isn't the place for you. I found her hospitality welcoming and efficient, which we appreciated. We were looking for a nice welcoming place to sleep and the location between Ben Nevis and the town centre was perfect.

We arrived into Fort William at 10:00am after taking the Caledonian Sleeper from London, as check-in time is not until 16:00 we weren't able to check-in, however, Mildred was very welcoming and allowed us to quickly change and leave our bags with her. The location was very easy to find, just a short walk from the station on a street where all the B&B's seem to be.

The room we were given was very nice with a very large bathroom. Most importantly, the bed was extremely comfortable and the room was quiet. As I travel for business extensively, these two criteria are extremely important.

We left for the day and arrived back early evening. Mildred greeted us and our bags were waiting for us in the room. She chatted with us a bit, provided some recommendations on dinner places and then gave us the key to the front of the house (she locks up but gives you a key to get in at night).

As other reviewers have stated breakfast is a choice of a full Scottish breakfast, a couple of other egg choices (scrambled, boiled) and Scottish pancakes. We didn't feel pressured to eat at any particular time. She suggested 8:00am but said we could eat later if we wanted. We wanted to get going so 8:00 was perfect for us anyway. At breakfast she was very welcoming and made sure that we had plenty of tea and toast (in addition to the breakfast we had requested).

We hired bikes from Nevis Cycles (just down the road) for two days and she was more than happy to store our bikes in the garage which we thought was very nice. Also, on the day we hiked Ben Nevis her son offered us a map of the mountain and hiking poles if we wanted them - a nice touch!

I would highly recommend this B&B!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2012

It's in a great quiet location with good parking. The rooms are nice and the bathrooms are lovely. We felt a little like there are too many rules. We were informed what time our breakfast would be as the hostess had a busy next day, not the end of the world for us but others may feel more put upon. The door closes at 10:30 but theres a key available to let youself in. I think maybe we just werent suited to this B&B and others would give it top marks.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CharltonEd
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Glengyle House provides great value for money and a warm welcome in Fort William. We stayed in the separate apartment which offers a very private and tranquil place to relax after a day of activities and long walks in the mountains. The hosts were very kind and kindly informed us of when was the best day to climb up Ben Nevis, and which walks and scenic drives to take on the various days of our visit.

Breakfast was delicious and provided a range of choices to suit different tastes (from pancakes and bacon to full fry up to cereals and poached eggs).

The B&B was only a ten minute walk away from the town centre and its restaurants and pubs.

Most of all, Glengyle provides very good value for money, especialy in Fort William where prices tend to get quite high around peak season. I thoroughly recommend staying here.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Campbeltown, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2012

Hi All,
We have stayed in Glengyle House B&B on a few occasions as we are keen hill walkers and skiers and have been going to Fort William for a number of years.
We have travelled a lot around the world, especially Europe and quite a few places around the UK. This B&B is certainly one of the best establishments of its kind that we have visited during the past several years. A warm welcome by the owners, excellent standard of rooms, extremely clean, very cozy and really good quality of..... well really everything in the house (from nice bathroom towels, great beds, soft pillows to warm duvets.... etc.). I want to go into a bit of detail here since I have read a couple of reviews that leave perhaps a bit of a different impression. Some of the facts stated are not quite correct and some of the comments certainly not reflecting the true reality about the Glengyle House B&B.
Accommodation is absolutely excellent and well priced (we have stayed in many places around the UK for more money and nowhere near the quality and comfort that Glengyle offers)
Breakfast is not OK! Breakfast is a fabulous combination of great full cooked Scottish and all sorts of other things provided, from various cereals, quality fruit juices, great coffee, yoghurt... and I could go on. Everything is great quality and prepared and served in a really nice way and in a very pleasant environment.
Folks running the place, Robert and Mildred are very pleasant and very helpful. They just ask the guests to respect their place (perhaps NOT taking a smelly Chinese takeaway into your bedroom or McDonalds, makes the rooms smell really fresh for the next person arriving after you. Did you not think about that?) The house is beautiful and extremely clean. We like it like that when we arrive and I am sure that you will very much appreciate and know exactly what I'm talking about if you visit.
Also I have to say a thing or two about the credit card charges. With the amounts of money that banks are charging small businesses for each transaction, you cannot expect that B&B's and establishments like this will take the charges out of their income. Why not pay cash if you are bothered about the £2 or so as a fee to cover the charge for you to have the convenience of paying by credit card if you wish. Do you know how many small places do not offer this service exactly because of these charges and because of some people being so bothered about it when they have to pay? That money just doesn't go into the owners pockets! And get your facts straight, Ryanair and many other companies charge you extortionate amounts of money for credit cards and they are the ones getting charged a lot less per transaction that some small B&B! How can you even say something like that on here?! You obviously have no idea!
Anyway, I just wanted to set the record straight here for a B&B that offers excellent service, beautiful accommodation in a wonderful setting right in the glen of Ben Nevis.
It deserves every star it gets and it has four.
So if you're looking for a great family place to spend your holiday or just one night, Glengyle House B&B should be on the top of your list when visiting Fort William.
I am sure that you won't be disappointed. We will certainly keep coming back every year.... Thank you Robert & Mildred for your lovely hospitality.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Pavel S
Toronto
Reviewed 4 November 2011

My husband and I stayed in Glengyle house for 2 nights during our honeymoon in Scotland. The location of glengyle is very convenient and the room we had was simple, but clean and neat which is all that mattered to us. The room was very good for the price.

While we did not have a problem with the owners outright - they were pleasant for the most part - I did not find them to be overly friendly. That wouldn't have been a big deal since we don't really care to have too much chit chat, but I almost felt like they were disappointed in our vacation for us. Especially when I took a nap one of the days we were there and the next morning during breakfast the owner made a comment to my husband along the lines of "you didn't get to see as much because Diana slept through the day". I could see that most of their visitors are hikers and bikers who are up and about, but we were on our honeymoon and wanted to relax. Besides, if I chose to spend all day in the room and not see anything that's my business.

The breakfast was ok, a good way to start the day. I especially enjoyed the fresh orange juice and grapefruit slices.

The one thing I disliked was that they asked you not to bring takeaway food into the rooms. I don't know if this means all outside food or just takeout from restaurants but I disagree with this request. I think that it is unfair to ask your guests not to eat in the room - whether prepared food or store food. If I wanted to get McDonald and eat it in my room, I should be allowed to.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple