“Perfect B&B”
Review of Tigh na Drochaid

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fort William
Tigh na Drochaid
Ranked #39 of 111 Fort William B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Travelled 450 miles to Fort William only to lose our reservation at a place down the road. Around 9pm, without ringing ahead we went to the door to see about a last minute room. They were extremely helpful, caring and sorted us out straight away! Extremely clean, tidy, modern, spacious and the full English breakfast the next morning set us up a treat for climbing Ben Nevis, directly over the road! The price was definitely reasonable for what the offer. Lovely people and a lovely business, if your heading that way I would without a doubt recommend staying there!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the building face Ben Nevis however, the back rooms are equally as breathtakin...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 13 August 2013

5/5 for the physical room. This room was one of the nicest I've stayed in at a b&b. Large, very clean, and wonderful bathroom. House was nice as well.

As for the things in the room, I'd give it a 3/5. The beds (we had a twin room) were not comfortable...we had two nights of terrible sleeps. Another important note for visitors is that they don't provide any soaps or shampoo...this was odd. I've never gone to a place that didn't have soaps and shampoos. Even the 2 star I'd previously stayed at in Fort William at least had a combined shampoo/body wash. The towels were also not bath towels. I had to wonder if the owners were saving a few pounds by cutting corners on little things.

We didn't see much of hosts, and this was one of the detractors that brought it down from 5 stars. Every b&b (with the exception of the other 2 star in Fort William) I've ever stayed in has had a communal space where guests (and hosts) can mingle to watch tv or read a book or converse. Not here...or at least not that we saw. When you enter, all you see everywhere is closed doors. So when we got back in, we just went to our room and shut our door and never interacted with (or even saw) anyone else. The owners could think about a space.

With the exception of the sausages, the cooked breakfast was great, no complaints at all. And Ros made our breakfast in no time at all when we had to catch a bus. Though again, it seemed to be laid out exactly for the number of guests. We were the last to have breakfast in the morning, and there was exactly 2 small glasses of orange juice left, exactly two yogurts, etc. Again, was wondering if this was cutting corners to save a few pounds.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights, lovely husband and wife team.
Full cooked Breakfast was okay - could be better, down to taste and preference perhaps. Tinned mushrooms, or cooked to be like tinned mushrooms, I'm not sure. I'm not kean at all on tinned mushrooms unless I'm camping and starving, mushrooms are my absolute favourite food and therefore I may be being over fussy and protective of mushroom cooking. Tomatoes in my opinion should be cooked more and have a browned, roasted taste - try tomato in half, dip in a little sugar and cooked sliced side down until caramelised and on a slower heat for longer. Or the same method with out sugar is equally as nice.
Not carefully and considered tomato cooking can leave tomatoes with a taste almost of how a bad rubbish bin smells.
I admit i am a fussy eater!
Aside from my food moaning, tigh na drochaid b&b and hosts are a lovely, and I wish them well in their success.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Jenxbenx
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Accommodation was first class and the range of food on offer at breakfast was excellent. Great place to stay and really convenient base for touring. We'd have no hesitation in staying here on a return visit.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Comfortable room with good beds but on ground floor and overlooked from rear car park. We felt a bit on show. Breakfast good, but not enough tables to seat everybody at once which caused a delay on our first day - though owner very apologetic. Friendly welcome and reasonable restaurants nearby.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2013

So glad that we found this great home base in Ft. William! As backpackers from the States, we were happy that this B&B was within a 10 minute walk from city center, and clearly catered to people from all walks of life. Willie and Ros were kind and hospitable, and went above and beyond to make our stay comfortable. Embarrassed at our appearance after two weeks packing through Ireland and Scotland, Ros had no qualms about us using her clothesline in the back for us to dry our belongings. Also, upon hearing that we had not yet tried haggis in Scotland, she made an extra trip to the store to pick it up and prepare it for our morning meal.

And, as an extra bonus, all of our fellow travelers were nice and chatty. The breakfast room made for great conversation amongst guests, and the children flitting in and out made it feel like we were staying at an uncle's house for the holiday, instead of a B&B. We loved it, and would love to visit again.

Added bonus - rooms that face the front of the house have a great view of the road in which Ben Nevis climbers travel on their way to the summit. Great people watching!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AliOkie
Reviewed 11 January 2013

Just found this great little place again! so glad I have, we stayed here in 2011, 3 guys on motorbikes, we where welcomed and shown to our room, the bikes where safe at the rear of the house and we were happy after a long ride up from Wigan. The room was spacious and spotless and enabled us to relax, get showered then head down to the town for a curry and some beers! I would definitely recommend this place..... Its now in my iPhone!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends