“Nice hostel”

Glen Nevis Youth Hostel
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Nice hostel”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Standard large youth hostel set up. Staff freindly and helpful. Comfy spacious dorms. Plenty of showers and adequate toilets. Decent sized and well equiped members kitchen. Large dining room. Lounge with comfy sofas. Drying room and laundry. Plenty of parking in car park and on road outside.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Polish first
Huddersfield
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

We started the three peaks challenge at 3am so decided to stay at the hostel the night before we set off. There are no sockets in the room. The showers are dirty and all the corridors amplify the noise from around the hostel. The room was warm and the only option was to open the window which then blew the curtains into a horizontal position. My advice: stay in a b&b.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Fort William hotels

Dubai
Reviewed 28 June 2014

After walking the West Highland Way, a large group of us stayed at the Glen Nevis Youth Hostel for the night before the flight back home to Dubai. First of all, the views were great! We were literally footsteps away from Ben Nevis and the area was very scenic. The staff could have been friendlier but nonetheless they were still very helpful! My only complaint is that there were no wall sockets in the room and we (16 of us) had to make use of the plug points out in the corridor. All in all, a great stay!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Penrith, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My last visit to the Glen Nevis Youth Hostel was 45 years ago and much has changed since then.On arrival I received a very friendly welcome from the helpful staff. I stayed in a room with 6 bunk-beds but there was enough room for my rucksack and waterproofs.
The communal kitchen is excellent. Plenty of fridge space and pigeon-holes for food. There's a large dining room and a lounge too.
I traveled by bus - it stops almost outside the door.
YHA prices continue to creep up. Once upon a time they were excellent value but walkers on the West Highland Way now have the (cheaper) option of staying in a bunkhouse or the (not much) dearer option of a B&B. I do hope that the Youth Hostel Movement does not lose touch of its original customer base.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Spike372
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

This hostel had helpful, friendly , young staff and friendly atmosphere. The twin room was small and contained a bin, a mirror and two very squeeky beds. There were no plug sockets so we had to charge our phone in the dining room. £61 room only, for two people was more expensive than all the other accommodation we paid for in Scotland. We decided that you pay for the location here being in the Glen which is much prettier and more relaxing than Fort William and convienient for climbing the mountain. We paid extra for a cooked breakfast which was ok.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Oliver W
Barrow upon Humber, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I stayed 2 night as a solo traveller with my dogs who sleep in my van. The car park was perfect for security of the dogs and easy to nip out the back to check on them. My room had no sockets as so i had to charge up my phone in the dining room. There is plenty of areas to mingle should you want to make friends. There were only 5 of us here on this occasion so it was very quite and had the room to myself. The kitchen was immaculate and had everything you needed. The staff were very helpful and told me about different areas to go. The location is perfect for hill walking and nothing was open around the hostel in January so it would of been tough trying to get any food. Luckily there is a MacDonalds in Fort William for your free wi-fi if you don't want to pay the £3 and hour (£1 for 20 mins) I paid £108 for 2 night private room which was way too much. If i had booked directly and got the single room i could of paid £50 for the stay. Always best to ring them first other then use booking sites. I didnt eat their food so can not comment.

Room Tip: Apparently the rooms to the back of the building DO have sockets. I stayed at the back and couldn...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
east ayrshire
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I have been youth hostelling for many years now and this hostel has to be the worst and most disappointing experience I have had yet. Stayed in October 2013 with 4 people.
Bad points -
1. very thin walls so you can hear everything.
2. men in crowds were noisy (had to open door and shout for them to be quiet)
3. Round about 12 ish onwards in the early hours a machine would go on and off above our room which made me be awake till 4 in the morning
4. the worst creaky beds ever. We had 3 singles in the room and we only had 1 that was decent to sleep in.
5. not one socket available - had thought about using in the corridor so that the men that kept me up would get a taste of how if feels but I am not that cruel. Ended up in the smelly drying area to blow dry my hair. awful!!!!!!
6.lots of hairs in shower area - not nice

Good points
1. Breakfast was not too bad
2. staff were ok apart from when I complained about my stay the guy just smiled.
3. location

Room Tip: get one opposite the toilets if you can
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Glencoe Independent Hostel
Blackwater Hostel
Blackwater Hostel
#1 of 4 in Kinlochleven

Been to Glen Nevis Youth Hostel? Share your experiences!