“This is the reason people abroad think British food is awful.”
Review of The Crofter

The Crofter
Ranked #5 of 67 Restaurants in Fort William
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Scottish
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Longview, Texas
“This is the reason people abroad think British food is awful.”
Reviewed 10 August 2010

My friend and I were on a road trip from Glasgow to the Isle of Skye, and we decided to stop in Fort William for some lunch. We walked up the main street and back down, settling on The Crofter, thinking it was an actual British pub. By British pub, I mean good food for a reasonable price with reasonable service. After being seated, it became apparent that the only Scottish person in the whole restaurant other than the waitstaff was my friend. The waitstaff was short and unattentive. My friend ordered brocolli pasta and I ordered fish and chips. When the fish came out, it had obviously just been taken out of a freezer in the kitchen and heated up. Dry, tasteless, and generally awful. I could have done that myself. My friend's pasta dish came with a sauce that was tantamount to water with powder mixed in. My chips were cold and generally inedible. This was easily the worst pub experience I've ever had in the whole of the British Isles; now I understand why foreigners thing British food is terrible - because they ate at The Crofter on holiday.

3 Thank AliceBoz

• Polish first
Kendal
“Excellent Pub Food!”
Reviewed 7 August 2010

Good place in Fort William for simple, good value pub grub.
Service was good even though theyt were very busy.(It is clearly very popular.)

Malta
“An Amazing Surprise”
Reviewed 20 April 2010

I stopped in this pub, since I wanted to watch a champion league game while having a bite. I have tried some other pubs in the same street and were not bad, but after trying the Crofter I got stuck. The food was great, in abundance and good value for money. They were also very friendly. The food was great. I tried the ribeye shich was served in a ridiculous big plate, the burgers and the mash potato with venison sausage. The fish and chips is to die for, the best I had in the UK.

This is a place to be if you like to watch a game on telly (they have sky sports) and have a bite with a pint of ale.

I was also impressed that this pub being with other over glorified restaurants with forced service in the same street was not mentioned in the tripadvisor site!

However, now that is found , what a pleasant and amazing surprise.