“Quirky but nice all the same”
Review of Rhu Mhor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fort William
Rhu Mhor
Ranked #51 of 111 Fort William B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 October 2012

We stayed here at the end of the WHW. The one thing I will say is that this isn't really a walker's B&B in the sense that the owner just wasn't interested, and when asked about Ben Nevis, responded with "Don't bother!". Each to their own, wasn't a problem for us but if you are looking for someone to natter to about the area you may want to try elsewhere.

Yes it is dated. Yes it reflects the style of the owner. But it is genuinely very welcoming, and is hospitality as it should be!

The option exists for tea and biscuits at 10pm. Breakfast is ample and we were also provided with a continental due to leaving early on our second day (we had a train back to London to catch).

The communal room is full of old guestbooks which make fascinating reading, particularly for walking types.

I'd also like to note that the owner mailed me some T-Shirts that I left free of charge; to be applauded. True gent!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tiger_bob85

Reviewed 1 October 2012 via mobile

A very cheery welcome. That's all the good bits I can think of.

Regretted the choice from the moment I got into my room. Car park is big but to call it precipitous is an understatment. You had better hope your hand break works and you have a head for heights.. For the safety of my car from.less competent drivers I parked it on the flat in town. If you can't do a hill start very well this place will freak you out It's frankly dangerous.

Rooms are clean but so what? Not just dated they're like your great aunties seldom used guest bedroom. Very old fashioned and so unapealing it a real turn off. No TV in the rooms and I don't like Public TV lounges . C'mon Rhu Mhor in this day and age, really? The bed and mattress I had was shot. Clearly in use for a very long time. The whole house is care worn and dismal. Clearly no significant investments for years.

Bottom line? Keep looking for another place to stay. Rhu Mhor is very poor indeed. It will have its fans but most folk I think would never wish to come back.You'll rue the day you booked . I did.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank ScotLadd
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Ian was very welcoming and the place was excellent. We had a lovely big room with a view and big ensuite bathroom. Very homely atmosphere and great breakfast. We have no hesitation in recommending Rhu Mhor. Big comfy double bed and there was a single too in room suitable for family with a kid.

1  Thank Martin U
Reviewed 18 August 2012

We did enjoy our stay at Rhu Mhor which Ian Macpherson and his mother run. The room was very spacious, comfortable and clean. Breakfast again was all it should be with order being taken at the table in a nice old fashioned way. The house itself is situated higher up from the town but it wasn't far to walk at all. The vehicular entrance to the property is at the rear so if you use a GPS be prepared as it will take you to the front of the property.

1  Thank Bilp42
Reviewed 13 August 2012

This is a very pleasant establishment with very high standards of accomodation and service, Ian is the essence of Scottish hospitality and along with his mum provide you with the best sleeping quarters and food that you could wish for. My wife and I stayed at Rhu Mor on our travel through the highlands and we could have climbed Ben Nevis and back on the breakfast that we were served, with porrage made in the traditional way . this is old fashion service in the proper manner with a menu and table service, not help yourself as in most B&Bs.

To write a bad review of this place says more about the person writing the review and the poor quality of their life style and they do not appreciate the privilege of being served in the proper manner.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank D C
Reviewed 8 August 2012

My daughter and I were walking the great glen and stayed at Rhu Mhor on our first night, it was spotless, well appointed and Mrs mcpherson made us very welcome, it is a lovely old house with traditional scottish character, lovely shower, clean comfy beds and spacious sized room unlike others on our trip
The breakfast was wonderful especially the homemade pancakes, Ian made our stay with his warm hospitality, I would stay again
Andrea and Laura

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank 72Andrea1
Reviewed 6 August 2012

I agree with the last review I think Youngy must have been reviewing another guest house.
Pure white sheets on a comfy bed,towels the same,a well cooked breakfast of our choice and great hospitality who could ask for more.I saw another guest with Continental breakfast which would have kept me going for days. Thanks

3  Thank Flora J