“Hard slog, but great sense of achievement.”
Review of Ben Nevis

and up
Group Walk up Ben Nevis from Fort William
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Fondly called "Ben" by the locals, Britain's highest mountain towers 4,406 feet above the town of Fort William.
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My fourteen year old son and I climbed Ben Nevis in May this year. We climbed Snowdon previously and this by comparison was much harder and should certainly not be contemplated unless you are used to prolonged physical exercise.

You have to plan ahead weather wise and although the route is easy to follow, I would pay careful attention to the climate before setting off and always take a good range of clothes as the temperature can vary by 10 degrees between the base and the summit, as it did on the day we climbed.

Unlike Snowdon, there is no café half way up for refreshments or at the summit, so you need to take plenty of fluids and nourishment with you.

The views are amazing though, and we saw an elderly couple jogging down when we were half way up, and to be honest they inspired us to carry on to the top, as they apparently jog up and down it very regularly and they are in their eighties. Amazing.

Once you have been returned to the bottom, I fully recommend a pint at the Ben Nevis Inn. This was the most welcome pint of Magners I have ever had.

3  Thank Norwich_Muncher
Write a ReviewReviews (1,868)

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Climbing Ben Nevis in June naturally we had four seasons in one day including lots of snow at the summit.
The scenery (when not raining or cloudy) was beautiful and worth the aching muscles.
It was very quiet the day we went which was great, although I was shocked at some of the footwear people were wearing(skimpy trainers and sandals) I can only assume they weren't going all of the way up.
A great day!

1  Thank denisewright8
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Climbed in last weekend. Took 4 hours to climb up and 3 hours to return. It rained half way, but we kept on going. My regret was using light hiking shoes and on the way down, I could feel every stone under my feet. very painful. Proper hiking boots are essential.You will need warm clothes nearer to the summit. During the first hour, you will sweat allot and have a stick on the way down does help. Don't really need a map or compass as you can figure out the path.I saw 8 year old kids, girls running it up the mountain and a chap using his bike. Definitely easier then Snowden. best time to go May-Oct. very peacful and don't forget your camera. Take water and sandwhiches and enjoy being on the highest mountain in the United Kingdom.

2  Thank sham420
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Went up ben Nevis in the gondola and was blown away with the views, even the rain didn't put people off.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Charity night climb. Started ascent at 10pm with 200 others. Supermoon lit our way but head torches essential. Well guided with a team from Discover Adventure who ensured safety on the mountain and a safe route to the summit was marked out with light sticks. No rain which was a miracle but in the cloud at the summit. Ascent in 3.5hrs (pretty good for two 50 yr olds and most of the climbers were half our age). Descent tough on the knees and mind, cold too as we were held at halfway for 30mins for a rescue helicopter to land - extra layers needed at this point. Definitely not a stroll in the park, paths showing a lot of erosion at the moment - it's 7 hours of tough walking, very little shelter en route, well worn in boots with ankle support advisable.

1  Thank Liz W