“Very Steep and Too High”
Review of Ben Nevis

Ben Nevis
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Fondly called "Ben" by the locals, Britain's highest mountain towers 4,406 feet above the town of Fort William.
Reviewed 19 October 2014

After going up Mount Snowdon by train in Wales I'd forgotten just how high some mountains can get. And they don't come much higher than this one - that's for sure. LOL! This was almost a FULL day's climbing and my girlfriend was crying at one point. When we did get to the top there was nothing there (Mount Snowdon has a pub, restaurant and toilets at its top). Luckily we had brought some sandwiches and drinks, so anyone else climbing this one - BE WARNED- there are NO facilities at the top.
The climb basically went on for far too long and the last part was particularly steep and difficult. It was also cloudy at the top so the view was non-existant. The long walk back down was boring and again took too long. It was a great relief to get back to our B&B in Fort William for a hot soapy bath and the joys of a flushing toilet with soft toilet rolls.
This attraction is free but I honestly couldn't imagine anyone - and I mean anyone - paying to climb this.

644  Thank GrimTraveller
Write a ReviewReviews (2,132)
All reviews
in 26 reviews
"well worth the effort"
in 42 reviews

Reviewed 18 October 2014

Not much that can be said that has not been said already...summit conditions can be quite bleak...go prepared with a little rucksack, layers, food and water...

3  Thank rkjlondon
Reviewed 14 October 2014

Loved the imposing Ben, and the beautiful Glen Nevis, wonderful walks, impressive waterfalls, and we're sure we spotted a Golden Eagle on top of a dead tree!

3  Thank wendyedmond
Reviewed 11 October 2014

if you like walking up big hills, this is right up your street. Don't take the weather for granted, seen a lot of eejits in flip flops over the years. Stay safe!

2  Thank Alan F
See more reviews
Reviewed 7 October 2014

I recently climbed Ben Nevis for charity at midnight and it was very hard . I read a lot of reviews saying the llamberis trail at snowdon was a harder climb however as I have climbed this route too now know that is a false statement !!! Ben Nevis as a million times harder !! It's longer ,10.5 miles round trip , steeper and the path in places is nonexistent !! We started at the very bottom ( over the bouncy bridge ) and it took us around 3 1/2 hours to the summit ( over snow in August too ) at the summit as it was around 2am there was no view !! It was a lot harder coming down as like I have said already it's very steep all the way up so you can imagine coming down was very challenging especially back down the snow !!! Any how I trained hard for over a year and I enjoyed it thoroughly . If I hadn't trained I probably wouldn't of completed it as it's relentless !! Training wise , be cardio fit and train on a stair master !! My calves were killing me the next day . 210 of us did this challenge and it was awesome . Would really recommend in fact I'm planning to climb again , this time in the day so I can take in the amazing views

3  Thank Jennifer C