“Anti Climax”

Ranked #18 of 21 Hotels in Fort William
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Anti Climax”
Reviewed 15 April 2011

The hotel very was comfortable with good decor and we had a peaceful stay there. It was very clean. There were however a few things that we weren't best pleased about.
1. On the main Best Western site about the hotel and on other advertising for the hotel by Best Western it states that the hotel has a jacuzzi. This was one of the main reasons we picked this hotel as we are walkers and thought that it would be a wonderfull treat to be able to relax in a jacuzz after along walk. So we turned up at the hotel with our swim suits and aching muscles only to be told that the jacuzzi is only in one of the bedrooms and isn't available for all guests. To say the least we were more disappointed especially as we didn't even recieve an apology over the misadvertising and confusion it caused us.
2. We paid £7.50 pp per day day for breakfast. The food was ok but nothing special. We thought it was really unreasonable that on top of that there is a supplement payable for some items. I think the supplement for a continental breakfast was around £4 something which is outrageous. Surely £7.50 each should cover all breakfast items available.
3.The television in our room was nice but EVERY night that we were there we had problems with the signal on all the channels being completly lost for a short time. By the time the last night came around I got hugely frustrated when it cut out whilst I was avidly watching something. I went down to reception and waited for about 5 minutes before anyone showed up. When the woman finally turned up at the desk she looked at me as if to say "Oh I didn't realise you were there" No apology was given for me having to wait. So by the time she followed me back up to the room the TV had come back on again. She merely said "Oh, ring reception if it happens again" No apology AGAIN even though I had mentioned it was the 3rd time.
4. Staff in the hotel were very distant and every time I had to ask for something I felt like a big inconvenience. They rarely smiled and it seemed very mechanical.
5. The hotel does offer free parking however there are limited spaces so I can imagine that it might be tricky to find at space at busy times and during the day this could be quite annoying as you'd have no option but to then park in the pay and display.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2011

the hotel was OK, very central to visit the town, with private car park and easy to find. Rooms weren't anything special

Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank AndrewStrathclyde
Scotland
Reviewed 13 March 2011

Unpreposessing to look at from the outside, Fort William's Imperial Hotel is a comfortable, well-run establishment, in the centre of town and right on the shore of Loch Linnhe. Reception is manned by either one of the Punjabi management team or one of the Eastern European ladies who seem to have a virtual monopoly on British hotel staffing. In either case, your welcome will be warm, friendly, polite and knowlegeable. Friendly poiteness is a hallmark of the whole team at the Imp.

Breakfast is partly self-service, with the front of house staff taking orders for cooked food. I am not a great breakfast person but was seduced by the perfect, freshly-cooked and piping hot fried eggs. Perfect eggs! A simple dish but so often badly done.

Dinner is in either the restaurant or cocktail bar. Our visit was in the quietest of times and we were the only diners in the room. Good thick soup and perfect pakora for starters, seafood penne, stuffed chicken breast mains and biscuits and decent cheese were well up to standard. We ate in the bar for the rest of our stay; my wife could sit by the radiator!

A different menu in the bar, more traditional fare but with excellent curries. 'The Sandy Man', the Punjabi chef, has been brought to the highlands to demonstrate how sub-Continental dishes should be made. I wish the nan had been baked in his kitchen but it was soft and flavoured with poppy seed.

No 'real ale' on offer but chilled bottled Cobra and draught Tennent's Amber almost made up for that.

All round, a good value mid-week break. Genuinely friendly and helpful staff, clean, comfortable rooms, central location: reccommended.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Prash23, Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback on Trip Advisor. Your feedback is a vital part in building our business and ensuring that we are meeting and exceeding our guest’s expectations. We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us and once again Thank you for leaving your positive feedback with regards to the service you recieved at the Hotel.
We hope to see you again.

If we can be of assistance in the future, don't hesitate to contact us at 01397 702040.

Preston
Reviewed 9 March 2011

We stayed here for one night on our way to the Isle of Skye. The hotel served it's purpose by giving us the chance to break up our trip. Our room was a good size and clean. However, there did seem to be a bit of a problem with the main light in the bathroom which constantly flickered. Also the television in the room seemed to need about 20 minutes or so to 'warm up' before it would work properly without breaking up. Breakfast was decent enough and good service. Overall I was say that this is an average hotel, a couple of nights there would be enough and although it was really nothing special we would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank House-ElfPreston
Prash23, Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2011
Dear Guest,

Let me start by thanking you for completing the review regarding your recent stay at our property.

Your feedback has been taken in to consideration and the points raised by you. We can assure you that my staff and I use this information to do everything possible to figure out the problems and create an enjoyable experience for each of our future guests.
Your honest opinions allows us to rectify our shortcomings which leads towards benefit of the establishment and the betterment of the customer service.

We hope to see you again.

If we can be of any assistance in the future, don't hesitate to contact us at 01397 702040.

Reviewed 8 March 2011

I've stayed at this hotel many times over the years. Stayed last week and it will be for the last time. Food was ok, newly decorated room very nice, though on small side.Easy to know it was newly decorated, as the overpowering fumes of gloss paint were incredible.
Had photocopying for reception to do (5 sheets), was asked to pay £1 for these!! (take a leaf out of Lochardil House, Inverness book guys, no charge for the 20 sheets they did for me.)
Thats why I'll be returning to Lochardil, but not the Imperial (even though I have BW Card)

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank collegebankie
Prash23, Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2011
Dear Guest,

Let me start by thanking you for your point of view regarding your recent stay at our property.

Your feedback has been taken in to consideration and I can assure you that my staff and I use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. It is our standard policy which is clearly mentioned in the rooms directry about the use of faxing and photocopying facilities. If this had left you unsatisfied then we do apologies for the inconvinience caused to you.
It is our hope that this will not deter you from using Best Western Imperial Hotel in future and we do personally assure you that your next visit will be even more satisfying one.

Reviewed 1 March 2011

Stayed there for two nights in a room with a fantastic lochside view and a jacuzzi in the bathroom (very comfy beds, great sleep), everything was very clean and up to the highest standards. The staff was very friendly and helpful. But the best of all was the food, couldn't get enough, though the portions were very generous.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Prash23, General Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2011
Dear Guest,

Your feedback is very much appreciated and it has been good that you have enjoyed the stay very much as well as the food. Your Positive response helps our team to do even better towards providing best possible service to each and every guest.

Reviewed 21 January 2011

My family and I stayed at this hotel for two nights. On arriving at the hotel we were greated by a very frienly member of staff , who check us in and directed us to our rooms. The rooms were immaculate, spacious and lovey and warm (Fort William is very cold in January!) We had asked the staff, at short notice if it would be possilbe to cater for a family birthday party of 26 people. When we were directed to the dinning room we were greated again by the friendly staff. The table was set out beautifully and the meal was to die for - even the two birthday cakes!!
I am not sure what else I can say other than the fact that I will certinally be retuning to this hotel and I have reccommend to all my family and friends that this is the best place to stay for service and location.
Thank you to all the staff , you really made our family week-end special :)

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family