“very good hotel”
Review of Imperial Hotel

Imperial Hotel
Ranked #18 of 21 Hotels in Fort William
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Despite a few reservations, the Hotel deserves 5 stars from me, as explained below. I arrived at 9-45 pm and departed 8-30 am, so didn't have the opportunity to experience evening food and/or bar. The staff were unfailingly polite and helpful, and the breakfast was superb. The single room, although compact, had everything I needed, except a well-stocked courtesy tray. 2 milk cartons is just not sufficient when one needs a drink before putting ones head on the pillow, and ditto on waking up. Bed comfortable. The shower would have benefited from some instructions as to how to use, as the temperature control is not immediately noticeable. The Hotel itself is in a central location in the town, with rooms on several floors. No lift, but porterage available - but if one has difficulty with stairs, this could be a problem for some. But my overall experience was good, and it would be churlish of me to be too picky. I would certainly stay there again if in the area, but select a different room - see my comments.

Room Tip: My room faced the loch, but the view was "overtaken" by the fact that a main road was virt...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Imperial H, General Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

Dear Valued Guest,
We are absolutely delighted by your wonderful review of our hotel. Thank you so much for your very positive feedback about the exceptional customer service of staff, Your review has been truly motivational for the management and the team who really feel positive when their efforts are recognised by valued guests such as yourself.
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your positive feedback and we look very forward to welcoming you back in the near future
In the meantime if there is anything we can do to assist you please do not hesitate to contact us directly at 01397 702040 or please email me at kanish.mahajan@sgehotels.com

King Regards

Reviewed 2 October 2013

A typical Scottish small town hotel. Nothing pretentious and all very comfortable and serviceable. Staff are extremely welcoming and food to a decent standard. We would not hesitate to use it again. Used by B.B.C. to house their staff when in Fort William.
Parking can be problematic unless your stay is a Saturday night when the nearby public car-park is free after 6pm. Seek advice from the hotel on other options.
Not at all sure that this hotel has a lift so again contact to clarify.
Given the price and star rating you get what you pay for.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback on our hotel through Trip advisor. All feedback we receive is greatly appreciated and we endeavour to make everyone’s stay here with us as pleasurable as possible.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 30 September 2013

We only stayed one night and I was quite pleased to leave. While the price was attractive, £78, some basics need attention here.

On arrival, check in was swift and we had our case delivered to the room promptly (no lift and a maze of coridors and stairs).

First impression of the room was good but withing 10 minutes that faded as the "snags" became apparent.

The kingsize bed wasn't. Not even a ziplock, just two singles pushed together.

The free wifi didn't work in the room.

The shiny looking bathroom... loo seat loose, cracked floor tiles that oozed liquid and had chunks of grout missing, cheapest shower fittings cracked & stuck and nowhere in the cubicle to put soap/shampoo etc.

On the positve side, the room was clean, had a good view and the matress was very comfortable.

Breakfast was a bit faulty towers. Very limited selection of poorest quality pastries, 3 cheap sugar flavoured yogurts (no plain) and tiny plastic tubs of jam. We asked three times for toast before it came. Watching the overworked staff running backwards and forwards, delivering the wrong orders to all and sundry, I opted out of the cooked selection. My husband got a tiny pot of tea, enough for just one cup.

They did manage to get me a drinkable hot chocolate and there were smiles a-plenty, despite the chaos. So not all bad.

I think they will get plenty of one off business at the price, just not many repeat customers. We stayed at the Alexandra last time in Fort William and will be back there soon. That little bit of extra cash was worth it for a proper bed and an all you can eat, fill yer boots, breakfast buffet.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Imperial H, General Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to provide your comments following your stay at our hotel. We apologise that your experience was not up to your expectations on this occasion that you chose to stay with us.

We are pleased to advise that since your stay, we have considerably improved on the matters you have referred to and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future for a delightful experience.

Thank you again for choosing our hotel for your recent stay.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 23 September 2013

We booked this hotel as we were attending the Shinty Cammanachd Cup Final and it was also he same date as our wedding anniversary. I initially dealt with Best Western Web Booking Customer Service who were very quick to help on any of my issues. Unfortunately not so quick was the response of the hotel when I emailed them direct, Eventually had to phone them to confirm and early booking and discuss options for Champagne for room as surprise for my wife.
When we arrived there was only a few parking spaces (you had to get a ticket from the hotel - no big problem). I had booked an Executive room as an extra special treat with a Spa bath. Don't get too excited the room was great, magnificient view of the Loch but the Exceutive bath was a major dissapointment (shower luckily came to the resue). Spa bath much too small (especially as I'm 6ft 3) and actually didn't work took an age to fill and the jet spray was lucky to reach a trickle. Didn't eat in the hotel so can't comment on that other than breakfast which was pretty good (only issue was no potato scone but at least it wasn't advertised as a Scottish breakfast). The staff were mainly Indian and that was reflected in some of the food choices but can't fault them as they were very couteous and helpful.
All in all enjoyed our stay and would go back.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback on our hotel through Trip advisor. We are happy to learn that your stay at our hotel was up to your expectations and that we were able to make your stay memorable by providing you the positive experience we endeavour to give all our valued guests. We will make sure that your comments are shared with all the Staff which really motivates them . The positive ratings you gave us on Trip advisor are greatly appreciated and we hope we have the opportunity to be at your service again in the near future.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best Regards

Reviewed 20 September 2013

Arriving by train at Fort William, this hotel is ideally sited for a short walk. The hotel is small, friendly and nothing is too much trouble. I was only spending one night here as I was on a walking trip and it was a comfortable start. As the weather was very unreliable, I decided to eat in the bar, rather than go to another restaurant I had been to before in town. The service was excellent, the bar small and cosy. I had problems with the sound on my TV which were immediately sorted out by the Manager.

The staff are small in number but all seemed friendly and helpful. The hotel itself is a little ''faded glory'' but that adds to its charm in a way.

Room Tip: As there is no lift, preferable to choose a room on the first floor to save walking up too many stai...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Imperial H, General Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much and we do really appreciate your nice comments and especially about the staffs during your stay. Your positive response has been greatly appreciated and has been passed on to our staffs. This will helps us in carrying on the good work for even more satisfying services to all of our customers.

Once again we would like to thank you for your appreciation about the services which you received at our establishment.

Hope to see you again in future.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

This hotel is the best ever and good value for money. It's stylish and spotless and in a good location. All of the staff are really genuine, helpful and friendly!
From the moment we arrived we were treated royally by all the staff. They were all very friendly and could not do enough for you, everything they did was very efficient and done with a smile!
Our room (19) was spotlessly clean and the bed was very comfortable. Tea, coffee and biscuits are provided.
We had dinner in the bar and the food was very nice, the bar satff were attentative and the service was very good.
Breakfast was excellent and service in the restaurant was quick and the girls on breakfast duty were very friendly and helpful.
There is wifi in the rooms - just ask for the login at reception.

I would definitely stay again & would be happy to recommend to visitors to Fort William.

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your precious time to put your honest opinion about the services you received at our hotel.
We are glad to know that you had enjoyed the stay here and very pleased with our service and standards and appreciate your feedback; I will pass your kind words to all our staffs and will continue to do the best for each of our guests.
Have a good time and if you need anything then please be free to contact me.
Thanks Again and we will see you soon.
Regards

Reviewed 12 September 2013

This was the most expensive hotel during our stay in Scotland, but far from the best (in fact, it can thank a really atrocious 'colleague' to avoid "the worst" label). For the money that you pay, this is thoroughly underwhelming. Everything is aging and not very practical, especially the small winding corridors with thick carpet that makes carrying and rolling your luggage difficult.

The hotel parking is tiny and constantly over full - thus you have to park on the public parking right next to it, but it's paying from 8 in the morning (luckily, we stayed for a saturday night and sundays are free).

Rooms are small and modest, at least the beds were okay.

As usual in the UK, the shower is oldish and had very little water pressure. You can hear the pipes rustling in the night/early morning. And if that doesn't awake you, the cleaning personnel that is cheerfully and loudly talking will take care of that for you.

Next stop: breakfast. Oh my. First, you have to wait in the lobby until they've prepared a table for you. Not great. Then we have the most useless and inept crew of waiters I've ever seen. Also, they don't smile or make you feel particularly welcome. By 9 o'clock the buffet had been raided (no more pastries, almost no more fruit), but the empty or 7/8 empty plates were left to admire and wonder what could've been. You couldn't even get a glass of juice right away, because there were no more glasses left, something the waiters had also not noticed by themselves and had to be specifically asked for. The cooked breakfast was mediocre. When we asked for more toast, the waitress promptly forgot our demand and when we reminded her she looked at us as if we were speaking Mandarin. Toast arrived ten minutes after I had finished eating what I wanted to eat with the toast.

Monopoly rules in the highlands, so the lack of reasonably priced competition means that even a mediocre hotel like this one can ask for prices that are not reflected in what they offer - everyone else is still more expensive, so there you go. This is still rather underwhelming and you can probably do better for not a whole lot more money (we booked last minute, so our options were limited).

The breakfast was a catastrophe - if you have the choice (we didn't, it came with the room), order without breakfast - you can get better in the mainstreet, less than five minutes away...

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you for submitting your concern with regards to your recent stay at Best Western Imperial hotel and we offers you our sincere apologies that we couldn't meet your expectations. We strive in providing best of possible services to each of our guests so that they can have a great stay at our establishments.
We have taken your observations into considerations and we will do our best in using this feedback as an improvement part for our staffs and facilities so that each of the future guests has a nice and enjoyable stay.

It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you and we can assure you the best of service.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.

If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 01397 702040.

Kindest Regards