“I'll be back.”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Spean Bridge, United Kingdom
“I'll be back.”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Visited the re-vamped "Stables" restaurant a couple weeks ago for lunch with a friend. The decor in the restaurant was appealing and it had a nice atmosphere with music playing in both the dining area and in the restroom. The lunch menu, geared more towards carnivores [as most places are] was lovely and just what we were looking for. I even cheekily ordered a tablet sundae for dessert which was gorgeous. I'll be returning to check out the dinner menu. The prices are fair and the service was good. A very friendly and clean environment. It's situated off the main street of Fort William so you don't have so much noise from the surrounding shops and pubs which is nice .

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Scotland
“Give the new set-up a try!”
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Heard it was under new management and we fancied a steak dinner, so headed to the Stables. New management haven't done away with those curious partitioned tables for 2, so we felt we were hidden away in the corner. Unable to see the dishes going to other tables which I think is part of the fun in a new place! No music. A strange atmosphere really.
But we're there for food and that's what you want to know about.
Didn't have steak!! So tempted by the Cajun salmon salad special that the plan went out the window.
Starters. Black pudding and chorizo with poached egg. Fantastic. Only criticism, please don't put the lettuce under the hot food. Cheffy presentation but I had slimy lettuce before very long. Who cares, the main elements were great! Thai fish cakes, not bulked out with potato, spicy, moist tasty, lovely.
Mains. I see there have been some adverse comments about the Thai curry. Well we were warned it was very spicy. Sauce looked thinner than I'd expect. It was spicy and yet somehow bland. Not enough depth of flavour. Purely chicken and rice, no vegetables. But this is a grill restaurant, so maybe a bit off message for what they do mainly.
The Cajun salmon salad was great! Big slice of salmon fillet and the Cajun seasoning just right. Served on a big salad (and without my pet hates of red onion and peppers, hurrah!) which was very lightly dressed. I had salmon in the Tavern a few weeks ago and this was far superior to what was served there.
We had a side of chips. Big, fat, seasoned/coated chips. I usually prefer skinny fries, but these were really good.
A couple of hiccups with a drinks order, but the young waiter is learning his trade and it was ably and professionally dealt with.
I wish the new management success in their venture. We'll certainly be back - and I'm having that steak!

Visited June 2014
New York City, New York
“Mean waitress, terrible food”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I can honestly say I have never felt so uncomfortable in a restaurant before. I was with a party of five and the waitress was downright hostile towards us for no apparent reason, I like to give people the benefit of the doubt so maybe she was just having a really aweful day but she made everyone feel so awkward and out of place. Unfortunately the food was also really bad, we had ravioli which looked like it had been thawed from the freezer and an inedible thai curry with no flavor except extreme spice and salt, and an occasional hard crunch of course sea salt. Veggies were flavorless and I've had better tomato sauce out of a can. Worst restaurant experience of my life.

3 Thank eyelashsoup
inverness
“great meal”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Wanted to treat my son to a meal so thought we would try stables , under new owners /chef so we gave it a go , ordered the haddock but even tho it wasnt on lunch menu they willingly offered to do it for us , 9.95 aswell has to be as good value as you will get !
Massive bit of fish in a crispy batter with real chips and mushy peas , really good meal and friendly service , enjoyed it and definately going to go back and try dinner sometime

Winslow, United Kingdom
“Great Food, Friendly Service”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

OK, so the young waiter didn't know his drinks list, but then a group of 7 boisterous and hungry walkers coming in at closing time must have been a real pain, and all the staff made an effort to accommodate us. The haggis starter was a bit of fun, served on cheesy tortillas and very tasty. We all had steaks in various guises, all were cooked just as requested, and the venison steak that I had was perfect; melt in the mouth and generous in size. All agreed the chips were the best ever, though the head waitress hinted that they were not their usuals, and may have been from a packet: who cares, they were great. A noisy atmosphere, not well decorated but comfortable, we were all glad that we found The Stables.