“Not in Fort William”

Skipinnish Ceilidh House
More attraction details
Owner description: This venue can accommodate 200 people with a large bar in the centre of the premises. Our cosy intimate atmosphere is ideal for enjoying our music. From late June until September we will be running our Ceilidh Show seven nights a week, especially designed to give you a true insight into our fascinating music and culture.
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Not sure why this is still listed as being in Fort William because it isn't. Although it should be. The actual venue is in Oban about 40 miles or so away. Apparantly there used to be a venue in Fort William but not now. Found this out when I tried to book tickets. Was disappointed as was really looking forward to a night out there.

2  Thank fliff

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Skipinnish Ceilidh House is run by professional musicians & record company owners Andrew Stevenson & Angus MacPhail of the well- known Celtic Music band Skipinnish. When we are in Scotland we like to really get into the swing of things and we like to listen to Scottish music whenever possible. On the night we went to Skipinnish there were three young but accomplished musicians playing a range of traditional and contemporary music. Of course it was touristy, but we were tourists, after all. It was hugely enjoyable. When we had got sufficient into the mood, members of the audience were invited to get up and attempt a couple of Scottish country dances. My wife and I got up and several others. We had great fun and delighted the crowd by making utter idiots of ourselves. I particularly admired the young Japanese guy who was brave enough to get up and tread the boards. I was most certainly the most inept. It wasn’t that the Terpsichorean muse had abandoned me; she had never visited me in the first place. I have an unnatural genius for clumsiness. I sometimes wonder how I manage to put one foot in front of the other to actually walk without tripping up and landing on my nose. I did not cover myself in glory on this occasion, but I still enjoyed it, enormously.
My Russian wife, Svetlana, thinks that Scottish music and dancing, especially if it involves the pipes, is the most wonderful thing imaginable. She also thinks that men in kilts are the sexiest thing on God’s earth, that Scots speak the most beautiful English, and that anything Scottish is superior to its nearest equivalent elsewhere…with the exception of deep-fired Mars bars and haggis. The visit to Skippinish confirmed what I already knew but which my wife did not – you can’t do competent Scottish country dancing at the drop of a hat. At a wedding at a Scottish castle around ten years ago my young Scots dancing partner noted quite charmingly: “You aren’t very good are you? I am not like good wine or malt whisky. I do not improve with age. I’d better go back and try again.

2  Thank Peter C
Reviewed 29 December 2012 via mobile

was disappointed as it is just a pub/nightclub and times of entertainment are very limited would have given it amiss if l had realised.

2  Thank alison0001
Reviewed 30 November 2012

tourist themed ,no locals apart from band would be better to find local pub with folk music.by the time you reach this far north you ll probably seen better.

1  Thank alan k