“Excellent Hotel - a great weekend”
Review of Nevis Bank Inn

Nevis Bank Inn
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Fort William
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Have just returned home from a three night stay at the Ben Nevis Bank and have to say I was most comfortable there and very well looked after by the kind, friendly and professional staff. The Browns restuarnt is excellent. Location is great both for walks up 'the Ben' and strolls into town and easily getting to the railway station. Have a couple of observations/comments to make. Firstly agree with other reviewers the room prices are a tad on the high side for what the accommodation is. I thought my room was somewhat compact and had a pitiful view across the rooftop to a wooded hillside. That said it was clean warm and comfortable and the facilities good, especially the wi-fi reception. The are however limited TV channels, no movie channels and no public lounge or reading areas which might be an advantage to guests on a wild and wet days or evenings. Likewise no drying room facilities and the on site car parking spartan (there is an overflow parking area across the road).
Minor issues really. It's a good place to stay and gets my recommendation.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

Certainly not at the cheaper end of the market, but if you've just spent the week walking - and can afford a night or two of luxury - this is ideal. Rooms, bathroom, food, and the staff were all great. 5 stars, Margaret.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank keithamoss
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Stayed here for just one night whilst visiting Fort William. There's not a great choice of decent hotels in the town - in fact there's very little - which is why The Nevis Bank Inn stands out.

I stayed here a couple of years ago and it's good to see that, in most places, the service and facilities have remained very good.

But you pay for it. £138 for a double room in Fort William, midweek, at the end of the season! I'd say that's pricey. But then compared to the £81 Premier Inn wanted it's a no brainer.

Would probably look around a bit more next time to see if there was better value available elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Enjoyed our three day break in Fort William and as we had booked the steam train trip to Mallaig we stayed at the Nevis Bank Inn as it is only a ten minute walk to the railway station. We're glad we did as it is an excellent small hotel offering good modern bedrooms with a good dining room serving really good food. The staff are very helpful and friendly too so would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Keith B
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Stayed one night in late May, we had two different room types, one upstairs (no lift) at the front of the property (no view to speak of) and the disabled room on the ground floor behind reception.

Both rooms were spacious with huge modern bathrooms.

Although at the front of the hotel our room was not affected by road noise (there is a busy main road just outside). It was a bit hot in the room and the only way we could cool it down was to open the window.

The upstairs corridors have those annoying lights that are on motion sensors.

There is no lift at the property so if you have a lot of luggage then this could be an issue.

The highlight of our stay was the excellent on site restaurant where we had dinner and breakfast - it seems to be the restaurant of choice for locals in the area too.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I have recently stayed in a 5 star hotel and I think our 2 night stay in the Nevis Bank Inn was even better.

Breakfast was fabulous. As well as the usual cereal and delicious grill, we were also offered Eggs Benedict (which I had) and scrambled eggs with smoked salmon (which my husband had). Dinner was also outstanding with a modern menu cooked to a very high standard. I wish I had taken photos of the very attractive presentation but was so keen to tuck in, I forgot until pudding. Be warned though, the portion sizes are for those who have been active! Having said that, the plates were scrapped clean. I didn't use room service but I nearly did and was impressed with the delicious menu that I could have chosen from.

The service was fast, efficient and friendly. The manager seemed to think of our every need even before we had thought about it and the servicing staff were warm and welcoming both when I had lunch on my own as well as when we were in our group of friends at breakfasts and dinners.

The bedrooms are modern and functional with strong, fast and free wifi. The disabled bathroom was very well equipped with everything just where you want it. Although it was easy to come in and get to my bedroom in my wheelchair via the front door, they gave us a room next to the fire exit on the ground floor so getting in and out was made very easy. I very much appreciate their thoughtfulness.

It isn't the cheapest place to stay, but considering what you get, it is worth every penny.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We happened to get the small handicapped room with a window onto a carport; I'm sure there are better choices, but we were here with a group. Apart from that, the place is A+. The staff are very helpful, everybody volunteers for any task that's needed, and they are so welcoming. The food in the restaurant was exceptional. The pan seared scallops on crispy pork belly with caramelized apple and maple syrup purée make me salivate, just to remember their rich perfection.

Room Tip: Avoid the handicap room unless you need it.