“Absolutely perfect stay!”

Ranked #13 of 112 Fort William B&B and Inns
Orlando, Florida
“Absolutely perfect stay!”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Sadly, I only stayed here one night with my son on a recent visit. MacLean Guest House was built to specifically meet the needs of all of it's guests. The owners have thought of everything! Mark and Brandi chose the perfect spot right down the street from the rail station and center of town, but on the outskirts enough to feel as if you are in the suburbs. We were warmly greeted by Brandi when we arrived early and shown to our UPGRADED room on the top floor. Room 6. Brandi explained that breakfast was between 7:45-8:45 in the diningroom. There is also a comfortable sitting room with tv directly off the entrance.Please take note that there is no lift, but Mark and Brandi are there to help out with luggage, so no worries. Our room was HUGE and completely spotless. I felt as if I were walking into my own home. A lovely oversized dormered room with tons of natural light, 2 full size beds, a full desk, table,chairs, chest of drawers, 3 side table and a closet. There is also a little nook with a comfy chair near the window for reading. The bathroom is enormous and again, spotless with a large powerful shower, plush towels, a heated floor and hospitality conveniences. I must mention the rug in the room because it is plush and feels wonderful under your feet after a long day of hiking! A hospitality tray with coffe/tea and biscuits awaits you as well as a full length mirror, hair dryer and 9 outlets!! I also enjoyed using the lighted makeup mirror which is a bonus. Breakfast in the morning is simple but fits the bill. My young son is a very picky eater and I asked for his scrambled eggs to be on the dry side and they came out perfect. He was very happy! The next day we had a full day tour and were leaving on the 7pm Caledonian Sleeper. Brandi allowed us to keep our luggage at the guest house until we returned at 5pm and even offered us refreshments as we hung out in the sitting area. Please note that checkout is at 10am and there is very strong FREE wifi. I awarded this guest house a special awards pin from Trip Advisor because it truly deserved it. I will make the MacLean Guest House my home base next time I visit Scotland and recommend it to anyone visiting Scotland. Thank you for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Room 6 has wonderful views of the Cairngorm Mountains and is very large and bright!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank KenmareLisa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Austin, TX
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Observing the MacLean Guest House from the outside would lead one to believe that this is just a typical B&B. Nothing could be further from the truth. Brandi, the warm, welcoming, and charming host told us it had just been built 3 years ago. Whoever designed it made everything perfect. It is spotless with large rooms and bathrooms with beautiful but sleek and comfortable furnishings. Brandi had even put a fan in our room and opened the windows to provide a lovely sea breeze because the day had been warm. Our breakfast was ample and delicious and served quickly. If You have a chance to spend the evening in Fort William, this is the place to stay

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Montrose, Colorado
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Our family of six stayed in the two family rooms on the top floor (6 and 7 if I remember correctly), which were large and comfortable, with good beds and modern large bathrooms. Both rooms had windows (or skylights) that opened to the street, so we chose to keep them closed at night to minimize the traffic noise. A portable fan kept the rooms comfortable in late May, plus we could keep the room doors open since we were in a private part of the inn. The breakfasts here were the best we had during our two-week trip. The inn is a short 5-minute walk from the train and bus stations, and not much farther to a number of restaurants. Mark suggested the Ben Nevis Inn, and although for us it was a 35-minute (not a 20-minute) walk from the inn, we thoroughly enjoyed both the walk and the dinner we had at the foot of the trail to Ben Nevis.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Sanford, Florida
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at the MacLean Guest House in early June, 2014. We had come to Fort William to ride the Jacobite Steam Train, and the Maclean was perfectly located, just a couple of minutes to walk to the train station. Although we didn't get to visit Ben Nevis Mountain, it is only a couple of miles away.

Brandi met me at the front desk and showed me to our room. We got the room in the center of the top floor. What a lovely room, with two king-sized beds and a large en suite, with a nice view of the harbor and the mountains beyond. Even though the room faced the street, it was quiet.

The breakfast was delicious. I had the scrambled eggs and smoked salmon, which I had never had before. Being from Florida, I'm more used to biscuits and gravy or pancakes for breakfast, but I was feeling adventurous. The salmon was cold, which I wasn't ready for. It was good, but I think next time I'd opt for the full Scottish breakfast.

MacLean Guest House is a newly constructed building, although it was designed to fit in with the historic architecture of the area. As a new building, there were none of the problems that you sometimes find with old buildings. The water pressure was high, the floors didn't creak, the en suite was large. All-in-all, it was a pleasure to stay at the MacLean Guest House.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We have stayed in many Bed and Breakfast establishments and found this Guest House to be the best ever. Received with a very warm welcome from Brandi who instantly put us at ease. The bedroom was VERY clean and bed VERY comfortable. The en suite was large, excellent shower and toiletries available were first class The breakfast which there was plenty of was very nourishing. Breakfast staff were well turned out and friendly. Wish we could have stayed longer. The place itself is within walking distance to the centre of Fort William. Parking facilities were also good.Will recommend this place to friends without a doubt.

Room Tip: Top floor has beautiful views
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My spouse and myself couldnt find anywhere to stay on 26 May and the places that were left were unsuitable for us in other places. Because my husband is disabled he needs extra bed space.
So we were lucky to find a family room in the hotel as the others were booked and the manager was kind enough to give us a good discount on the room too. It was clean and modernised too.
It was one of the cleanest hotels we saw there. My brother lives in Lochgilphead for three months now and we were visiting him and the family for the first time since they moved and my husband and me went out that day up to Fort William and the next day went on a cable car to the mountain and then went back to my brothers in the evening. I would like to say thank you to the couple who run the hotel for giving us the room for the night too and also breakfast in the morning.

Room Tip: The view from the front is awesome with mountains and lakes.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014

If you're looking for accommodation in Fort William, don't go anywhere else! The MacLean Guest House simply cannot be beaten for the warm, friendly welcome, the beautiful, clean, comfortable, modern rooms, the full English breakfast (and I mean FULL), the large bathrooms with excellent showers, the private parking with plenty of space for cars and motorbikes alike (we secured 3 bikes with ease) and the helpful, pleasant, accommodating, friendly and conversant owners Mark and Brandi who just couldn't do enough for us. The young lady who served us breakfast was very polite and friendly and after being shown to our table, breakfast was served within minutes. The guest house is only a couple of minutes walk to the town centre and is situated off the main road which makes it particularly easy to find and to return to after a night out or a stroll around the town. The traffic noise cannot be heard with the windows closed and views from the rooms, front or back, are of the beautiful surrounding hills and mountains. As regular visitors to Fort William and beyond, we will definitely be staying here again. Absolutely all-round first class. Well done Mark and Brandi for getting things just sooooo right!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends