“Friendly staff”

Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Fort William
Cardross, United Kingdom
“Friendly staff”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

We stopped at the West End Hotel for one night on our way back from a holiday in the Island of Lewis. The receptionist was very welcoming and informed us that he had reserved us a table for dinner in the lounge bar. (he had in fact reserved us a window seat with loch views) The room was clean and had spectacular views of the loch. Unfortunately the décor was rather tired and the bed linen appeared to be old, with thin sheets. (no duvets?). In addition, the sound deadening between the rooms was non-existent and the fire door just outside our room was banged noisily by other guests quite late on in the evening, making for a restless night.
However, the food in the bar was fairly good and both the staff serving our evening meal and the staff in the breakfast room were pleasant and efficient.

Room Tip: Make sure that there isn't a fire door in the corridor outside your allocated room.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Reviewed 28 August 2014

We visited the hotel for going up Ben-Nevis; as soon as we got in to The West End Hotel "Scott the receptionist" was very welcoming.
The room was clean and beautiful as the we had the lake view.
Very friendly staff.
The only downside was my bed which was noisy. (good bed...but noisy).

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We recently stayed here while on a tour of the Highlands. I would not recommend this to anybody I know. Although the location was good, everything else seemed to be lacking. I feel bad saying that, because when the manager/main reception guy was there he was so helpful and polite, but he just couldn't overcome a Bank holiday weekend with (what I can only imagine to be) not their best staff in a hotel that hasn't been updated (or updated well) in a few decades.

Check in went fast, but after that we could never find anybody at the desk without a hassle.

It was very noisy in the room. Maybe the people in our hallway were just rude - thankfully we were already awake by 6:30am when the neighbors decided the rest of the hall had to get up. I feel bad for anybody trying to sleep in. Additionally, our window was right over the backdoor of the restaurant, so it was very loud into the night as well.

It was a really busy bank holiday, so we decided to eat in the restaurant and not bother with the restaurants in town (as we had no reservations anywhere). The food was really disappointing - we would have been better off going for a kebab.

Overall the hotel is very run-down: old carpets, blankets, towels, and the general smell of my grandpas musty house that I couldn't get used to was a bit too much. Again, the manager was trying his best. It was just too much to overcome. Look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the water - our view was of the generator and was right over where the kitchen was...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JenniferJCoe
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

For the past four years we have stopped at the West End Hotel in Fort William on our way back from Bettyhill. The hotel overlooks Loch Linnhe superb views from the hotel and it's a stones throw from Ben Nevis. We had a room that overlooked the Loch with a large picture window. Our bed was queen sized and it was the best two nights sleep we have had in a long time. The food in the hotel restaurant is top class and down to earth no pretentious concoctions and it is very reasonableness priced. The staff are really friendly and polite and they cannot do enough for you.
The rooms have plenty of tea,sugar and coffee on hand so you don't run out at the time you most want it. I would invite anyone to go,stay and find anything wrong with the hotel or staff. The only niggle is there is not a very big selection of ales and drinks At the bar. The shopping street is just a few yards away, with plenty of cafés, pubs with grub and charity shops for the ladies.
All in all after four years of stopping at this hotel there is nothing negative I can say against the West End or Fort William.

Room Tip: Book a room at the front of the hotel. They face the loch with amazing scenery.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Scotland
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I visited this hotel on a business trip.

Parking
Good sized car park at this property so very handy

Reception
The reception area is small but a pleasant young lady checked me in. The card you complete asks how you intend to settle your bill and I circled "cash". I was then asked to lodge a card. I advised that there wouldn't be any extras and, even if there were, I would pay those cash too, however, a card was insisted upon. Very strange.

Room
I had a room on the first floor. I had only paid for a single room, however, there was a double bed. The room wasn't big but it was fine for 1 night for a single occupancy. Comfortable bed. Room was clean. Good sized bathroom with good walk in shower. Plenty teas and coffees too.

Guest information
This stated that you could order breakfast, lunch or dinner to your room. When I was leaving the hotel, I asked to order breakfast. The girl told me this wasn't possible. I advised her it said you could on the guest information so she took my order.

Breakfast
The breakfast was delivered piping hot to the room. Orange juice, sausage, 2 slice bacon, 2 fried eggs, fried tomato, toast and nice hot coffee. No complaints at all, very good.

Sleep quality
The only thing I can say was bad about this was the apparent herd of elephants that were above my room. The amount of noise above me, clomping, battering, clattering, scraping of furniture and flushing of toilets was almost unbearable. It was constant, for hours. I finally fell asleep around midnight. I don't know what was going on but it was terrible! It has put me off ever staying in this hotel again despite the positives.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

great place to stay staff are brill n scott the manager is fantastic so helpful , knows his job inside out always smiling no matter how long he has been on shift full of ideas for stuff to do and places to go .been back numerous times and will continue to go there

Room Tip: think of olde world and charming rooms on front have terrific views of loch
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Paris, France
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I was happy to stay here. Great service, nice interior, good energy, a lot of people having dinner and breakfast. Ok meals, like in Scotland is all over the place. Room was small and quiet, clean. Wifi in the hall and room downstairs only.

Room Tip: A room in the back is more quiet.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo