“lovely location - shame about the owners attitude”

Innseagan House Hotel
Ranked #19 of 21 Hotels in Fort William
Reviewed 12 May 2013

This hotel is situated in such a lovely part of the country, with a lovely view of the Loch. All the reasons why when scrolling the internet this hotel stood out. What a shame about the owners attitude. We had travelled a few hrs and were looking forward to a few days relaxing break away. On arrival we were impressed with one where the hotel was situated and two how it looked from the outside, however, on entering the premises we were absolutely disgusted by the owners attitude and brisk manner. I do have to say the young women behind the desk was lovely and tried to be as helpful as possible (shame that her boss is Alexandra). On taking our money, it was only then that there seemed to be a problem with room allocation, and showing Alexandra a copy of the confirmation email she had sent me seemed to annoy her even more. When it was finally sorted we were briskly and abruptly shown to our room (no apologise for making us wait etc). On entering our room the beds had not been made up, which considering check in at 3.30pm and this was around 4pm seems a little odd (and since they said they had been fully booked !!!) again Alexandra was extremely abrupt telling us to wait down stairs. For us this was the final straw, and we decided that although the hotel is nice, reasonably priced and a lovely location, the owners manners were the worst I think I have ever come across in the HOSPITALITY business. We got our money back, with no apology or anything. I will not be back EVER. We did find somewhere else lovely to stay and had a great weekend. It was interesting to note that on discussing our negative experience, people in Fort William were not surprised !!! It doesnt take much to offer YOUR Paying customers a nice welcome !!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Maverick32149
There are newer reviews for Innseagan House Hotel

Reviewed 8 May 2013

We stayed at this hotel in April 2013 for three nights. The staff worked hard to ensure that nothing was too much trouble. The breakfast was fine and could be served at a time to suit you with plenty of choice. The room had beautiful views as the hotel is on the side of the Loch. A new bath had just been fitted and the room was clean and comfortable. We did have the usual complimentary toiletries,. The receptionist was cheerful and kind with ideas for local ideas for visits and offered to check on railway times for us. The lounge was comfortable with a real fire and comfy chairs. The owner and all staff were very friendly and helpful and worked very hard to ensure you got want you wanted. Check the prices for this hotel as they were very good value. The evening meals were good and filling and we had a very enjoyable stay. We will be back. Lana and Ian

Room Tip: Loch views are worth waking up to every day.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We stayed at this hotel for two nights at the end of April. My father in law had a room adjacent to ours with his pet Jack Russell. Both of our rooms overlooked Loch Linnhe. The views are spectacular. The hotel is beautifully situated on the shore of Loch Linnhe about 1 mile south of fort William. On our arrival we were greeted with a warm welcome and were served complimentary tea and chocolate cake in the lounge. The owner made us and the Jack Russell very welcome in the lounge. The lounge room is very relaxing with comfy chairs, sofas, log fire and large flat screen TV - nothing was too much trouble. We were given the remote control so that we could watch whatever we wanted. The hotel were having problems with the hot water (it was coming out of cold tap too) but we were given a large jug of cold water whilst they were addressing the problem. The bathroom could do with updating and there were no complimentary toiletries - so make sure you bring your own. Our room was a good size and very clean. We stayed two nights and I must say breakfast was lovely. It was cooked to order and we were asked how we would like our eggs cooked and whether we would like brown or white toast. My fried eggs were cooked to perfection. We did not eat at the hotel in the evening as we were out sightseeing but were offered an evening meal if we wished.. The owner and staff are very helpful and friendly and there are two lovely dogs running around who are very approachable and friendly. Ideal if you want somewhere to stay with your dog. Very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a Loch View room. This is a dog friendly hotel. If you do not like dogs then perhaps this...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 April 2013

Not sure I was in the same hotel looking at some previous reviews. The level of service offered by all the staff was exceptional in ensuring you are have what you want. Couple of quick points, the breakfast is very good, you indeed have a choice of toast. The evening meal was also very good with the sweet (apple crumble and custard) yes I know that sounds very average but OMG it was genuinely the best I have tasted. Bed comfy, room tidy, lovely lounge with real fires and a bar open until we went to bed which on some nights was late. ohhh and a bottle of excellant red wine for under £12. For the price this is very good value for money and with an afternoon tea thrown in which matches some of the best we have had you really do have to be picky to find fault. We will be back and would recommend to anyone for a stay. Additional info :- we stayed for 3 nights got a taxi in and out to Fort William with no issues albeit could walk it if wanted to but after some brilliant hiking around the fells just wanted a quick and lazy way in. Town has plenty of bars and restaurants but nothing topped the apple crumble.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 April 2013

this hotel has a lovely outlook onto the loch, short walk into Fort William, the hotel looks tired and needs updating. We had a family room although booked two rooms and had an email to confirm 2 rooms booked. found ourselves in a room with 2 teenagers in bunk beds, bed side table meant impossible to use the bunk bed ladder. An e/mail to change our arrangements would have been appreciated. The room needed updating a very rusty radiator in the bathroom and the bathroom sealant needed replacing. the bathroom needed some TLC.
Having stayed at this hotel before we were greatly disappointed at how tired it now looked. We stayed here after staying at its sister hotel the Portsanachon every year for the last 5 years, We shall not be returning to the Innseagan.
we felt that the hotel was very under staffed, that the staff worked hard but hearing the manager arguing with workmen over an unpaid bill is not how i want to be met on my way downstairs on a morning.
It seems this hotel is missing a way to make money by not providing evening meals

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Alexandra B, Owner at Innseagan House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2013

Thank you for your review. To clarify your comments, You had purchased a voucher from Portsonachan, valid for 2 adults. You initially requested a family room. We did not however have one when you booked. I did advise that it would have to be 2 rooms, However a family room became vacant and I put yourselves and your family into this. Your teenagers were here free of charge and with full breakfast.
My "argument" over an unpaid bill, was a discussion on work done the day before and a clarification of this work.
We did and do have evening meals. many people do not enquire and go to the town which is 1 mile from the hotel.

Reviewed 10 April 2013

My partner and I went here for one night before heading towards Inverness. When we arrived, we were welcomed by a lovely lady and she showed us to our room. The room was small, had a nice view, was cleanish and had all you need. It's in need of upgrading and the duvet was very thin (as were the wall but what can you do!). We never ate there in the evening, we arrived back after a mile n half walk from town - we expected this but we did not expect there to be no lights once you get half way. We were greeted by a nice young lad who got us a drink and we sat in front of the fire - nice. There are games in the lounge for kids and smaller private lounge if you want quiet.

Here is why I deducted two out of the possible five;

The hotel is a tad tired but they are working on this, there was a lot of dust, I don't normally notice.
There was a very poor selection of bar snacks (OH made me write that).
Mainly - the breakfast was awful. We were given no choice of what to have, no sweeteners (my pet hate for diabetics and those who take sweetner rather than sugar and the first place I have come accross in recent times that doesn't), no choice of white or brown bread. We got brown, my OH hates brown - even worse it was thin cheap stuff. Then we were told we could have the full Scottish Breakfast - no porrage, kippers, haddock, muffins just cooked breakfast. I asked for my eggs to be cooked through as I hate them runny. We got a bit of bacon, beans and two burned on the bottom and runny on top eggs?????????????? How is this a full Scottish! We are from a hospitality background, running hotels and owning our own restaurant and there is no excuse for simple laziness in things that can make or break the opinion of a persons stay. ESPECIALLY when they have just taken over.

I would not stay here again but it was overall an ok experience but the breakfast needs addressing. Leaving on a positive, the power shower was fab and the two dogs are friendly. A potentially great family hotel and it was very reasonable priced.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Alexandra B, Manager at Innseagan House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2013

Thank you for your review. I am that lovely lady. I rent the Hotel and we work very hard to give our guests a warm welcome and a good stay and also a good breakfast. I remember your comment regarding your eggs, that it takes talent to produce the eggs that you had.. Normally the chef's eggs are very good but you requested a hard fried egg. He may not be so good in producing a hard fried egg which is still edible. Also normally we would have hovis granary or bergen brown bread. I apologise not not asking you which you would like white or brown. We do not have bar snacks in the bar. We do offer morning coffees and afternoon teas with home baking and lovely sandwiches. Our breakfast consists of a Traditional breakfast. I do not call it full Scottish. Most people have enjoyed our breakfast. We also offer fresh fruit, yogurts croissants as well as toast and traditional breakfast. If you would like porridge we make it fresh. If there is anything else that you would like then we usually will obtain beforehand. I do not offer sweeteners as I would presume that if it is something that you require to have in your diet then it is something you would have in all circumstances. I dislike them as they are mainly chemicals. I completely disagree that you have referred to your eggs on that morning as pure laziness! I am not in the habit of disagreeing with our customers but I think you analysis of the hotel and of the breakfast etc is unfair. I have implemented many new things within in the hotel in the 6 months of running it on my own. We have many plans and projects, some in motion right now, and will continue throughout the year, but the main work has been upgrading the infrastructure of the hotel and fire safety etc. I do hope you are very successful in your restaurant as we are hoping to be successful also. Thank you

Reviewed 10 April 2013

This family-run hotel is beautifully situated on the shore of Loch Linne about 1 mile south of fort William. A busy hotel which was a bit stretched at times over this busy w/end with shortage of staff. Breakfasts were v. well cooked, as were the evening meals although the dinner menu is limited.Room was adequate but the bedding, although clean, could do with being replaced as it is a little tired. Friendly family & staff & full of helpful tips ....also two v. loveable dogs! I shall return & hope I am fortunate enough to get a room with a lochside view then.

Room Tip: Book early for a lochside view!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple