“shame the outside view is not matched by the inside”

Innseagan House Hotel
Ranked #19 of 21 Hotels in Fort William
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Stayed for one night in September and would not stay again. This hotel has lovely views to the front of the property from the bar. But nothing from the room I was allocated. On first seeing the room I was very tempted to walk out and find somewhere else to stay. The only thing that stopped me was the fact I had already paid the full amount. The room was in need of a lot of TLC, very dated and shabby looking. The bed had no headboard, no pillow protectors, the carpet was stained. I did not unpack anything as I did not feel the room was clean enough to put things down anywhere. the price for the standard of room in my opinion is too high. Would not recommend this hotel in its present condition.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the loch
5  Thank Nicola48186337

Reviewed 30 September 2013

In all my years and travel I've never experienced such rude and inappropriate behaviour as my sister and I received from the owner of this hotel. We reserved a twin room for one night. Upon arrival we were shown to a stifling, overheated room with a small double bed, views were, well a bush! I heard a noise coming from the bathroom and as I am a light sleeping I expressed my concern to the receptionist, she assured me it was because it was "shower time" and during the night it would be quiet. The lovely receptionist Shelia told us she would separate the beds, so we decided to walk the 1.2 miles to the town. 40 minutes later we got there!

When we returned to the hotel the noise in the room was still there. I voiced my concern and the owner told me that particular room wasn't a great room anyway as it was adjacent to the boiler, therefore she would move us. As I was moving my case my sister asked the owner if she could look at the room, the owner then very rudely told her if she didn't like the room she could leave, there were lots of bed and breakfasts around! When my sister said it wasn't the room, it was the noise, the owner then informed her, not in a nice and friendly manner, what did she expect, it was a hotel and hotels were noisy! She then turned her back on my sister and marched off. I was appalled, my sister was upset and so taken aback she was at a loss for words. I immediately asked to speak to the owner who refused to show her face. We informed the receptionist we would not stay another minute in the hotel and wanted our money refunded. At 9pm we had to order a taxi and find another place to stay. Thank goodness we did, a beautiful, friendly, spacious, QUIET bed and breakfast 300 meters from the town. I will be writing an excellent review on this B&B! Such a shame our trip, which we were taking in memory of our late mum, was spoiled by this horrible experience. My sister and I are nice, decent, honest ladies who do not like causing a fuss. The owner may decide to defend herself and say we were problem guests, I can assure you, this is a polite, honest, true version of what really happened. Thank you for asking the time to read this review.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank grayani
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We were received very well and Alexandra the lady who runs the hotel was very accommodating.
We were given the room we had asked for and had a lovely time. Staying in this part of the world was really very enjoyable and we went on the West Highland railway to Mallaig. Amazing views from the train. It was a pity that it was raining in Mallaig but it was still very beautiful and we saw the ferry that goes to the Isle of Sky.

Room Tip: The room with the view over Loch Linhe is very nice.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Just had a very good weekend stay in this hotel. Me and a friend shared a twin room for two nights. The room was spotless and the facilities included tea/coffee making, a flat screen television and en-suite bathroom with shower. There was plenty of space and a roomy wardrobe that held all our substantial walking equipment.
Overall, the hotel is very clean and in many ways charming: the bar has a wonderful view onto Loch Linnhie, as does the lounge which is furnished with very comfortable leather chairs.You can sit and enjoy the view with a drink or an enjoyable afternoon tea or coffee. The dining room is large, again with the view. Plenty of parking space available. A fifteen minute walk to the town centre has stunning views across the loch.
The.breakfast selection is excellent and very good. Good choice of evening meals, using local suppliers, at reasonable prices. The steak pie is well worth a try.
The staff are friendly and very helpful, but perhaps as important, enthusiastic. The hotel welcomes dogs, which in this reviewers opinion is a positive.
This hotel is one I'll use again when next in the area.

Room Tip: Pay extra for loch view
Reviewed 16 September 2013

The 3 star rating is self-assessed. Rooms at the back of the hotel small and in need of complete refurb. Only plus side is that the windows are double-glazed and look reasonably new .They are however still mouldy in the corners. Bathroom looked quite clean apart from the disgusting mouldy shower head and mould around the mastic on bath. Bath mat stained. Wallpaper coming away from wall around window. Cushions on bed would have looked nice when new but were stained. No headboard on bed or pillow protectors on pillows. Very thin quilt cover and pillowcases. Cover had yellow stains on underside due apparently to dye from green appliqué flower on front. Carpet stained. Cracked electrical sockets. Dirty skirting boards. Very strange musty smells in rooms and corridor. Definitely not 3star accommodation. Not a welcoming place at all although the views from the bar are beautiful. This Hotel is in need of general refurbishment and a good deep clean. This could be such a lovely place but obviously needs money spending. Think the Hotel Inspector Alice Polizzi would have a ball with this establishment.

7  Thank Cat1Uk
Alexandra B, Owner at Innseagan House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2013

The carpet in this room had been changed before you put this vicious review. New curtains were put in 3 weeks ago. You did get a poly cotton duvet, few are used. I invite you, after November, free of charge for 1 night whoever you are, to then put a new review, I am powerless to say what you might write. But I have put every penny after costs back into this hotel for 1 year. and will continue. I am a small new business and have changed many things and bookings way up. I'm sure Alex Polizzi would admire me for bringing the hotel back to life and we are closing for 2 weeks to completely redecorated, new heaters, new carpets etc in November. It is hard to run a small business in this country but vicious reviews like your has made it harder.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

My stay was wonderful. The staff were so lovely friendly and helpful. The chef got up early to make breakfast for us and cooked amazing local produce food and very reasonable prices.
The lounge and bar have a cosy homely feel where I sat relaxed enjoying the views out the window.
There was no job too big for the staff and I actually didn't want to leave as I felt so relaxed and comfortable.
All the staff were amazing and helpful. Alexandra the owner was on reception and was so helpful and knowledgeable about the local area and she pointed us in the direction of some breathtaking walks and drives.
I could not find any fault with the hotel. The bedroom overlooked the loch and had amazing views. The bed was really comfy.
If you are looking for a cosy friendly welcoming hotel where you will feel at home and where staff are so helpful you feel spoilt rotten then this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank mumoffivekids
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I am perplexed by the previous reviews and comments about the owner of the hotel.
I found her and the family most welcoming and accommodating, very friendly and helpful and couldn't have asked for a better stay.
After a nine hour journey from Liverpool ahead of our 3 Peaks challenge, we were welcomed by the owner's Son who couldn't be more helpful. After a long sleep in a comfortable twin room, breakfast was lovely and we were welcomed to spend our spare few hours before the ascent of Ben Nevis sitting in the living room where we were served coffee, cake and biscuits.
Really cannot fault the hotel and staff, and will definitely return to Fort William and stay here again.
Great job guys, and thank you x
Now for the difficult job of climbing 3 peaks in 24 hours!!!

• Stayed: September 2013
#1 of 1 in Banavie
RiverBeds Luxury Wee Lodges
RiverBeds Luxury Wee Lodges
#1 of 3 in Ballachulish

Been to Innseagan House Hotel? Share your experiences!