“Andy - Up and Doon Guided Walks - Ben Nevis 28 June.”

Up and Doon Guided Walks
Ranked #7 of 20 Tours in Fort William
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: I love Scotland.I love exploring the beautiful mountains & glens of the Scottish Highlands.I love meeting people & sharing my passion. I decided to combine this energy into creating a small friendly guiding company that offers a highly personalized service for individuals or groups at an affordable price. So whether you want to hike the highest mountains,tackle one of my challenges,backpack through the mountains or just go for a wee walk with the family I have something for you.
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I have fairly broad experience of trekking guides and in my view Andy Davidson of Up and Doon Guided Walks is right up there with the best. He even looks like how I think a mountain guide should look!

We picked a reasonable day for climbing Ben Nevis, the weather was mostly good except for a bit of rain at about half way up and low cloud at the top. We still had great views before the clouds came in and after they went away! I found it a tough day but Andy gave gentle encouragement whenever he reckoned I was flagging a bit!

He also demonstrated several qualities which I'm sure set him aside from many other guides.

There were four of us in his group that day (Me + 2 + Andy). One of the two abandoned his trek after about 10 minutes (!) and the other guy turned out to be incredibly slow even by my standards (trust me, I'm getting old and slow). This fellow had a rather annoying 'couldn't care less' attitude. I know we should always go at the speed of the slowest member of a group but this bloke stopped about every 10 minutes 'just to relax'!! Andy was apparently totally patient and showed absolutely no signs of irritation - I reckon he deserved great credit for that alone.

Another unusual aspect of the way he goes about his business is that he cares so deeply about Ben Nevis from an environmental viewpoint that he does something about it. He offers his clients a partial refund of the guiding fee if they are willing (there was definitely no pressure, simply a suggestion) to fill a plastic bag with some of the rubbish deposited by previous trekkers. He even provides a rubber glove as well as a bag!

I'd definitely use Andy again, we had a great day!

Cheers Andy,

Michael B - Sydney Australia.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Great experience in an amazing scenery! Andy is a great guide who knows a lot. Also a great and honest guy to be with!

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I went for a walk with Andy a year ago, we went to the red mountain in glen cow? I forget the exact name of the mountain and of the glen actually..

We had a brilliant time , I went there with a friend from the hostel and a woman we met during the walk

Andy knows so much about mountains , plants, love of live and a different view of this earth

I highly recommend you to have a walk with this amazing Aberdeenian fella , he has so much to offer , he is a real example of living for me

See you later mate!

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Our climb of Ben Nevis was made all the better by our guide Andy. We were lucky with the weather but everything else was fantastic due to Andy's knowledge, enthusiasm and patience. He picked our pace perfectly and we never felt rushed. Andy made sure we enjoyed the views up and doon. His knowledge was invaluable with history on the way up and botany and geology on the way down. We got a bonus as Andy weighed up both the weather and our ability and took us off the beaten track to view the North face where we had a memorable lunch. The views from the top where amazing but would have been wasted if Andy not there to put the distant peaks into context naming most of them and able to pick out the islands and even the outer Hebrides! The decent was unhurried which made it relaxed and enjoyable. To end the perfect day we enjoyed a dram at the bottom and again Andy helped us with suggestions for places to visit the next day which in its self was invaluable. We can't recommended Andy enough and in true Scottish style he is value for money and money well spent. Thank you Andy from Alan and Carla. See you when we come back for a Monroe or two !

davo98, Owner at Up and Doon Guided Walks, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Hi Alan and Carla
Thanks for taking the time to write such a lovely review:D I am glad you found the walk such a great experience and that you had a great time the next day visiting some of the places i suggested. Lochaber really is a fantastic place and there are plenty Munro's for you to come and bag next time you visit:)
Take care
Andy

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Andy was a great guide, he's both knowledgeable about the mountain and local area and passionate. He took us to see the north face and was a great inspiration encouraging our teenagers up the mountain.

Hi ostringer

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review:) I am glad you and the family had such a good day on Ben Nevis. It was an amazing day to be up there and the views were certainly fantastic.Hope to see you all for another walk soon:)
Take care