“Not worth the price”
Review of Cruachan Hotel

Cruachan Hotel
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Fort William
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I stayed in the Cruachan about 2 yrs ago and loved it. We got a lovely room with loch view, 4 poster bed and a lovely breakfast for £75. The price is now £105 pn, which I do not think is worth it. The hotel has been revamped, looks lovely but they have taken away the Scottishness of it. All modern, with no Scottish features, which includes the staff, well we did hear one Scottish accent, but most of the staff were of Asian or East European. Our room was clean the bed was comfortable, TV too small, but had all channels. Wardrobe is open plan, no doors, but a bit on the small side Our view was of a back wall. The hotel was quiet, but the floors are not, very squeaky floorboards, and the people above us sounded like they were wearing hobnailed boots as they moved around, bit annoying. Staff were friendly, albeit they could not get our drinks order correct, that would be due to the language barrier, us being Scottish. They really need to get a more Scottish feel about the place, and maybe hire more locals. I know Americans, Italians etc are here to see Scotland and would prefer the Scottish theme. I would not stay here again.

Reviewed 1 July 2012

This is without a doubt, one of the worst places I have ever stayed. I wish I had taken heed of the reviews on Trip Advisor before booking, as I thought "surely it can't be that bad?"
There are only 2 mildly positive attributes this hotel has; it looks nice from the outside overlooking the loch and hills, and some of the staff to be fair are helpful and professional.

For the price I was paying for a single room for one night, I expected a good or at least partial view out of the window. What I actually got was a wall at the rear of the hotel. The room was small, and the bed even smaller. Mattress was hard, pillows may as well have been non-existent (even two together were completely unsupportive), so really very uncomfortable. The bathroom had a stale mouldy smell, and there were a few dead flies in the shower - I got the feeling it had not been cleaned properly at all. The floors were terribly squeaky, I could hear EVERY SINGLE noise from the surrounding rooms, from toilets flushing and people talking, to what sounded like a late night orgy in the room above! I did not get a wink of sleep!

In the morning I was hoping that the breakfast might make up for the rubbish night before, but how wrong I was. Breakfast is run with military precision, seems like they want you in and out as soon as possible. I know it's a hotel and there are lots of people to feed, but they don't even give you so much as a how'd you do or good morning. There were only 2 choices of cereal - some sorry looking corn flakes, or something that resembled muesli. I skipped cereal, and grabbed a yogurt. Not sure how long it had been out on the serving table for; but it was certainly not chilled. Toast came to the table massacred, 5 slices out of the 6 they brought were completely inedible. The cooked breakfast was just as bad. Bacon (and I use the term loosely) was a wide strip of undercooked fat with a slither of undercooked meat, the fried egg (they did not bother to ask how I wanted my egg) was swimming in what I hope was water, with a hard yoke, all made for a very disappointing start to the day.

I would advise anyone coming up to Fort William not to stay at the Cruachan, it is just not worth it. Thankful I only stayed for one night, and have learnt my lesson!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank PhilippaJayne
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Wonderfully refurbished hotel but the fact that it is a listed building a lift is rather a problem but they are working on it .
Meals are good in restaurant but we like a teapot or a coffee pot and then you don't need to take staff away from other duties.

Room Tip: Rooms to the front in the old part of the building
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We arrived at this hotel on a tour ( this being our most expensive hotel) and the worst by far.To be fair it has good parking , has been well decorated and was clean and tidy with an excellent view from our hotel room. The many problems were as follows, poor sound proofing with the rooms , a couple bonking on one side and someone trying to run a bath on the other. The bath/ shower was hopeless, no pressure so you could not use the shower and to run a not very hot bath took 20 mins for about a half full one. We complained about it , was told it was fixed but it had not been. The breakfast menu gave a list of cereals ( as you would expect ) ie Weetabix, Rice crispies etc, in fact all there was were very cheap cornflakes and muesli. My wife ordered poached eggs and was asked how she wanted them ( soft she replied) when they came they were like rubber, with very cheap sausages. She complained to the duty manager who said he would sort it . He did, he produced a new menu next day with all the items not there the previous day taken off ( take way the problem totally, i must remember that). The room price was £104 which was totally over the top for what we recieved , because of our complaints we did recieve a discount. There is Travelodge being built in Fort william at the moment, this Hotel had better get its act together or it will struggle shortly

Room Tip: Very hard work if you are in any way infirm as there are many stairs
1  Thank STAGMAN55
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Stayed at this hotel for two nights in June. The outside of the hotel is impressive. The hotel entrance, bar area and dining room are tastefully furnished and decorated. The views from the terraced garden were beautiful. The breakfast was average served by very pleasant staff. Coffee and tea pots were not available on the tables, second cups were offered or had to be asked for. Not sure I liked that. Our room was very small for the price we paid, however we did book late and there was little availability. I believe we had a reduced rate for late booking, which I still consider was overpriced.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the front to take advantage of the view. Ours was at the back, a meandering jo...
Reviewed 10 June 2012

I don't usually pay much more than £70 a night but the Cruachan sounded nice so decided to treat ourselves. For £104 we got a tiny box of a room with paper thin walls, a floor that creaked when you walked across it and a small window with frosted glass - because it looked out onto the wall of the block in front.

1  Thank Readetts
Reviewed 10 June 2012

We had a family room which was on the first floor at the front, very comfortable but had a shower cubical rather than a bath - a bath would have made it really nice.

Great views from this room, and it had a nice although very squeaky 4 poster bed, and two single beds in a small alcove.

The food was pretty good and the staff were excellent.

The hotel was not cheap - but I guess you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family