“Not really for individual travellers”
Review of Cruachan Hotel

Cruachan Hotel
Ranked #16 of 21 Hotels in Fort William
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Not really for individual travellers”
Reviewed 25 June 2013

This seems to be one of the few hotels that cater for large groups in the highlands and therefore they enjoy good trade but individual travellers suffer as a result. For the same price one would be much better served by the many b&bs that are available in the area.
My room overlooked a wall and another rooms window and was simply tiny. It was clean but should at best be used for staff.
I also find it puzzling that all breakfast fruit came out of tins and found the food quite horrible. The entrance and bar have been updated but that does not make up for canned food and tiny bedrooms.

Room Tip: make sure you get a room overlooking the loch rather than one towards the back
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Thai first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2013

I spent 2 nights in the hotel and found it to be clean and welcoming.
On arrival I was asked if I wished to have my bags taken to my room, which was on the first floor. The bedroom looked out over a flat roof towards the loch, and was well furnished and faultless. During my stay, all the members of staff to whom I spoke were cheery and helpful.
The first breakfast was too much for me, and on the second morning I had to ask for half portions.. At night I ate in the bar, where there was pleasant music played at an appropriate level, and both bar meals were also very good.
Although I have severe back problems, I had two good nights sleep, and found that the Hotel was within walking distance of both bus and train stations (although I wouldn't want to drag my case over that distance)
I was very impressed and plan to return there in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 June 2013 via mobile

Visited this hotel for a night on my travels. First impressions were not great. Dark and dingey appearance, rooms were small and dark. Food was adequate. Staff were pleasant enough. I have visitied better places recently. Dont think I wil be back.

• Stayed June 2013
Trinidad
Reviewed 8 June 2013

We were welcomed by friendly reception staff who kindly offered to carry our cases to our room. I was a bit alarmed that they thought I might not be capable of making the second floor unaided when it was my intention to trek to the summit of Ben Nevis the following morning! The room was spacious enough and spotlessly clean. However, the walls and ceiling were paper thin and we could clearly hear the exploits of our neighbours! But with ear plugs my nights stay was comfortable. Breakfast was tasty and filling although a little greasy.
The bar and lounge have stunning views of the loch and they were a pleasant place to relax after a long day. When checking out the receptionist was keen to hear our views on the hotel and we were told that sound proofing was work in progress.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2013

the only slight down side to this very nice hotel is that it doesn't have a lift ( spread over 3 floors ) other than that I have no complaints at all. my room was very comfy and well appointed and the cooked breakfast was delicious , as I regularly visit fort William on business I will definitely be back to this hotel.

Room Tip: rooms to the front have a beautiful loch view
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We booked into this hotel, it was nice, though it had stairs, we were given a loch view room as promised. The breakfast was really nice and fulfilling. The property is Victorian but lovingly and tastefully decorated and has a modern touch. The staff were very helpful, the check-in staff let us keep our luggage as we had arrived early, the breakfast staff were also very professional and were always smiling. The stay was comfortable, a bit tricky to start the bath though as the bath fittings were quite modern and needing a little demonstration from staff...lol..!! All in all a nice experience and I would recommend this place to anyone visiting Fort William and I would also love to go there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a Loch View room, there a quite a few.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The Cruachan Hotel is clean, and the lounge, bar and dining rooms are appointed and decorated in a modern style. Our bedroom was clean and modern. It had all the normal room requirements, but they all seemed cheaply functional rather than comfortable and appealing. The TV volume control and the bathroom light did not work, and the door stop on the floor could be dangerous to older people.
Our main complaint was the staff. They were obviously untrained, and there was a shortage of them. The reception was not manned, anyone answered the phone, eventually, and the computerised system was beyond the man who checked us out. He undercharged us by £70 which I honestly pointed out to him. During the stay I never spoke to any staff member with a scottish accent.
Now the food. An example, Salmon and Asparagus. Ten inch (25cm) woody Asparagus, heavy in garlic and the greyist Salmon I've ever seen. Garlic was even on the breakfast mushrooms, and with the smoked bacon certainly made an interesting meal. The smell of cooking was all around the lounge, bar and reception in the evening 9.00pm--spicy indian food, not on the menu, so obviously cooked for the staff/owners. The bleeping and pinging from the kitchen was off-putting whilst dining and the loud TV from the bar could be heard all over.
The owners have spent alot of money on the extension and fittings, but they now need to sort the kitchen out to cook to the prices charged, and to stop skimping on staff, and then train them. They should stay overnight in hotels like the Holiday Inn, Harrogate to see what trained staff are like, and the improvement it would make to their business.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple