“Well placed”
Review of Cruachan Hotel

Cruachan Hotel
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Fort William
Reviewed 23 July 2013

This hotel is on the road out of Fort William overlooking the Loch, but still within easy reach of the town centre. There is plenty of car parking and although one of the nights there was a bus tour in, that was well managed. Our room was quite a way from reception, up and down stairs and along corridors but when we finally reached it we were pleased with it. It was a good size and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom smelt a bit musty, but then we found the switch for the extraction fan, which did improve things. The rail in the wardrobe was fitted from front to back rather than side to side, which made getting clothes out a little difficult. The bar area was spoiled by radio / TV always being on, but the reception area was comfortable to sit in. The bar meals looked OK and the food in the restaurant was fine. Breakfasts were cooked to order and there was a good buffet choice too. The staff in the restaurant were very competent and friendly.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 July 2013

Having had a long but beautiful journey from Ullapool we just popped in and were so glad we did!! Welcome fantastic food absolutely fantastic view gorgeous!!! We will return!!! I will recommend to anyone I know to come here and I can't wait till I return

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We spent 2 nights here while on a motorbike tour. Our room was clean and comfortable and a good breakfast was had in the morning. Staff were very friendly and John? at breakfast made us feel at home. Location is very good and just a 5 minute walk into Fort William. A 5 minute drive or 30 minute walk to the start of the Mountain Track for Ben Nevis.
Lounge area and reception very modern looking and great view across the loch from the bar and patio area. A nice place to relax after a tough day walking to the summit of Ben Nevis.
Walls are thin so take ear plugs as someone has already suggested but this would not stop me booking this place again.

Good value

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Steve A
Reviewed 25 June 2013

This seems to be one of the few hotels that cater for large groups in the highlands and therefore they enjoy good trade but individual travellers suffer as a result. For the same price one would be much better served by the many b&bs that are available in the area.
My room overlooked a wall and another rooms window and was simply tiny. It was clean but should at best be used for staff.
I also find it puzzling that all breakfast fruit came out of tins and found the food quite horrible. The entrance and bar have been updated but that does not make up for canned food and tiny bedrooms.

Room Tip: make sure you get a room overlooking the loch rather than one towards the back
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 June 2013

I spent 2 nights in the hotel and found it to be clean and welcoming.
On arrival I was asked if I wished to have my bags taken to my room, which was on the first floor. The bedroom looked out over a flat roof towards the loch, and was well furnished and faultless. During my stay, all the members of staff to whom I spoke were cheery and helpful.
The first breakfast was too much for me, and on the second morning I had to ask for half portions.. At night I ate in the bar, where there was pleasant music played at an appropriate level, and both bar meals were also very good.
Although I have severe back problems, I had two good nights sleep, and found that the Hotel was within walking distance of both bus and train stations (although I wouldn't want to drag my case over that distance)
I was very impressed and plan to return there in the future.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 June 2013 via mobile

Visited this hotel for a night on my travels. First impressions were not great. Dark and dingey appearance, rooms were small and dark. Food was adequate. Staff were pleasant enough. I have visitied better places recently. Dont think I wil be back.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 8 June 2013

We were welcomed by friendly reception staff who kindly offered to carry our cases to our room. I was a bit alarmed that they thought I might not be capable of making the second floor unaided when it was my intention to trek to the summit of Ben Nevis the following morning! The room was spacious enough and spotlessly clean. However, the walls and ceiling were paper thin and we could clearly hear the exploits of our neighbours! But with ear plugs my nights stay was comfortable. Breakfast was tasty and filling although a little greasy.
The bar and lounge have stunning views of the loch and they were a pleasant place to relax after a long day. When checking out the receptionist was keen to hear our views on the hotel and we were told that sound proofing was work in progress.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends