Chase The Wild Goose Hostel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
The Factor's House(Fort William)
View Hotel
Nevis Bank Inn(Fort William)
Alexandra Hotel(Fort William)
  • Restaurant
Imperial Hotel(Fort William)
View Hotel
Bank Street Lodge(Fort William)
Ossian's Hotel(Fort William)
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsbunk bedsben nevisgreat kitchenlarge kitchendorm roomco opneptune's staircaseself catering kitchengreat glen waywest highland waypeaks challengegreat place to stayfree wifigreat facilitiesstayed here for one nightsteam traincaledonian canal
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 July 2013

This hotel is a bus ride (1.65 gbp) away from fort william, or a one hour walk. Nearest supermarket is a 20 min walk along main road or half hour along nice canal.
Wifi costs 2 gbp for whole stay but weak signal and slow.
Breakfast offered for 3 gbp.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Good location, the railway station and the bus stop are both very close; Neptune's Staircase is right next door and the Ben Nevis isn't far either, not that I could see much of it as it was raining when I got there.
The place is much more relaxed than the military-style rules on the website would suggest and the manager is very helpful (it looked like he was doing everything in the hostel). The rooms and facilities are ok, nothing fancy but acceptable for the price.

Room Tip: Don't be surprised if you end up in a different room to what you would expect. I booked a bed in a 5-bed room but when I got there I was put in an 8-bed room. I wasn't particularly bothered and didn't even bring it up (although I've just noticed that I got charged slightly more for it, too), just be aware, in case you would be.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Room: Road trip with a group of 4, we got a room with two bunk beds and a wash basin. The heater in the room worked quite well. The linens provided were quite strange and slightly restricting when sleeping. Out of four of us, only one figured out how to put them on despite there were instructions on the wall. The room is not very big. Be careful if you are in the lower bunk, you won’t be able to sit up and will hit your head easily. Four sockets are found in the room.

Environment: Nice house, the entrance is lovely. There were sufficient parking spaces. The kitchen is clean and well equipped. There are many lockers in the first floor. Having shower by using the electric heater was enjoyable. Flushing in some toilets may require certain level of patience. Breakfast is not included. Geese are around the hostel! Well…ornament only.

Positives: The manager was a nice and resourceful gentleman who suggested us the attractions around. The hostel is close to a BP gas station and right next to one of the attractions in Fort William – the Neptune Staircase. There is a small Co-operative not too far on the way to Glenfinnan Monument and Glenfinnan Viaduct (two landmarks right next to each other). The car park of the viewpoint of Glenfinnan Viaduct is on the right side of the road from the hostel. 10-15-minute drive to the town centre of Fort William, on the way there are a big Morrison’s (where we had our breakfasts), McDonald’s and a bowling centre.

Negatives: We were worried with the strict terms for arrival and departure at first but in our case it was quite flexible. We checked in at 3pm after coming from Ben Nevis. The blankets felt a bit damp. The hostel is very friendly to outdoor enthusiasts. As the washing machine is inside the kitchen and pass the dining room, some climbers, hikers and cyclists may go in and out with their laundry when you are having your meal. 50 pence will be charged for card transaction.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Situated just outside fort William this place was ideal for exploring from not far to anywhere really. 10 minutes in to town, Ben Nevis only 15 mins its perfect. The place it's self is nice tidy and mostly quiet. Ian the manager is a great laugh and happy to help out. The only problem we had was the wi-fi is definitely dodgy we couldn't get it to work but really you don't need it. Beds were comfy facilities are good, everything you could need.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2013

I'm sorry, in advance: there's a not a thing we liked about this hostel, aside from its location, and those staying in our dorm agreed. The first thing you should know is that once you book a room, you cannot cancel it without being charged one night's stay. This is the only hostel we've encountered that does this. But this was my own fault, really; I didn't read the fine print. When I emailed, two weeks in advance, to cancel, I was informed I'd be charged the full amount of our stay regardless (one night for two people) and that if I were to reinstate the booking, there would be an additional £15. (Luckily, after a few emails, the administrator agreed to waive this fee.) When you arrive at the hostel, you're greeted by a long list of items that have additional charges: arriving early, wifi, and a continental breakfast (consisting of cereal and old bread) were among them. The staff was also...different...and gave us very used looking sheets to line our beds. (The duvets are never cleaned and aren't covered.) The facility itself has a shabby feel and really, just an unwelcoming, eery vibe. I would definitely recommend you stay elsewhere. I wish we had! (Luckily, our other hostel stays have been great.)

Room Tip: Read the fine print when you're booking!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brette E
HighlandGoose, General Manager at Chase The Wild Goose Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2016

It's now September 2016 and the hostel has been refurbished with new decor, curtains, carpets and bedding. Top-notch wifi is now provided free, and after operating for 10 years we are having our best season ever, meeting guests from all around the world. Even the vibe, like most of our guests, is wonderful.