“I could not fault this hostel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chase The Wild Goose Hostel

Chase The Wild Goose Hostel
“I could not fault this hostel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

I was aware of this hostels location, it is in Banavie which is on the outskirts of Fort William, unfortunately due to how the town is shaped around the Loch it is quite a walk into town. Unless you fancy swimming the Loch or know your way through the Caol and Inverlochy estates. I can walk it in 20 minutes, but then I know Fort William.

It is a good base for touring the area, and for climbing Ben Nevis, i got talking to some fellow travellers who had followed me down from Inverness, we were going to talk to Ben together unfortunately I had an injury and therefore didn't
take the risk., again having lived in the town you respect the Mountain.

The rooms were clean, and there was a nice communal area, and quiet room, the kitchen was well stocked with free tea and coffee although breakfasts were £3, I brought my own food. I paid £4 for wifi but it lasted for the duration of my stay, wifi in Fort William is rare and was well worth it.

I would thoroughly recommend this hostel to anyone and look forward to staying here again in the future.

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

This hostel came highly recommended by some close friends. Unfortunately, after a booking complication I was unable to take my bed in a dorm for the night. On cancellation I contacted reception who were extremely helpful and put me in touch with enquiries via email. Communication with the hostel representative was first class, from the outset I never waited more than 10 minutes for a response via email, furthermore I was kindly offered a full no quibble refund resolving things in no time. I would like to thank the staff for their excellent customer services, efficiency and professionalism and I look forward a visit in the future.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank SuperG1967
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

Well what can i say, i have stayed here in the past and been brilliant. I was doing the great glen way by canoe. So due to location this was perfect. As i wad bringing my canoe with me i contacted the hostel in advance regarding somewhere secure to store the canoe. So i tried to contact them the day before arrival no answer or reply to me calls or email.
So we arrived around 1 out if office hours so we found the number provided to contact staff it was ringing but the mobile had been left in the office. So i just left the canoe and gear round the back. I had to take my truck up to inverness. By the time i got back was around 6 pm with the office meant to be open at 5pm i thought i could check in and sory out my gear to be more secure. When we got there office still shut. So contacted staff mobile again, still left in office.
There was people sitting in the dinning area and lounge but they were also waiting to check in. While waiting thevpublic phone wrang we answered it, it was a guest also checking if they were open yet as they went into fort william to wait. The phone wrang a second time. This time the manager the owner. We told him there is no staff, so he wrang the staff member on his personal mobile and within minutes someone appears half asleep and think he had also been smokin weed as you can smell it.
Apart from that everything elsr was perfect.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
MSpeshul, Owner at Chase The Wild Goose Hostel, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Unfortunately on-duty mixed up their shifts. Sorry it took a time to respond to your needs. The off-duty staff member who did come to your aid was not 'high' (what a terrible accusation to make!). We fell short on this occasion, but did our very best to give you our best service when our mistake was realised. We hope you will stay again
Durham, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

To start with, this hostel is NOT in Fort William proper. Chase the Wild Goose is in Banavie. It takes about an hour and fifteen minutes to walk into Fort William. The hostel is close to a bus route that takes you into Fort William and also close to the Banavie train station. So, getting around is still possible via public transport, it's just not nearly as convenient as staying in Fort William would be.

Chase the Wild Goose had a nice atmosphere. The staff was very friendly. The bathrooms were very clean. The rooms were a little crowded feeling and a bit damp if we didn't keep the windows open at night. A continental breakfast was provided for 3 pounds. We paid 5 pounds for WiFi for 3 days.

Overall, I would recommend Chase the Wild Goose if you can't find accommodation in Fort William.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
Malmo, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

The hostel was clean, friendly staff, good kitchen and common areas. It also had good with toiles and showers. Not the best but good enouth. Buts its greety to not provide free lockers and wifi, I have been to many hostels and this was the first time I had to pay for this services.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

Stayed here with friends at the weekend and had a thoroughly entertaining and enjoyable stay.
Yes the rooms are a bit shabby but all is clean and the beds are really comfortable - and why anyone struggles making them with the provided linen is beyond me!!
Breakfast is provided if you want and the kitchen / cooking facilities are excellent. Lots of board games, cards, dvds available for when it rains (and it will!!)
Would certainly go again

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
Montreal
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

I booked online and then realized that they charge 2% credit card fee. I emailed them and asked if they could refund me and I could pay cash upon arrival, which they did and told us, "We would not wish our guests to feel the way you do before setting foot in our establishment, therefore we feel it is best, now that you have been refunded in full, that you seek accommodation elsewhere." We were totally floored. We called and explained our situation, and was hoping that there was a misunderstanding and then they told us to try again online. We did and then we got the same response by email, telling us to "Unfortunately we have decided not to process your booking & advise looking for accommodation elsewhere." We did nothing wrong and was trying to be really nice about it.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your feedback. We really believed we had done the best thing, but clearly we fell short. We know it was exceptionally busy in the area and alternative accommodation was difficult to find, but be hope you found something more to suit your needs. We are keen to help any guest who has mistakenly chosen our accommodation.