“Superior food and service while being a little constipated in attitude.”
Review of Inverlochy Castle

Inverlochy Castle
Ranked #13 of 71 Restaurants in Fort William
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 26 July 2013

A gorgeous dining room. Superior cuisine as one would expect at a Michelin starred restaurant. Beautifully presented and well served. Some memorable dishes; the sweetbread ravioli appetizer particularly stands out in my mind. Superb wine list with adequate selections in the "affordable" range and then the usual stratospheric bottlings for the mafiosos and Bill Gates' of the world.
We ate a superb meal. BUT, I do have one MAJOR complaint. I continue to be uncomfortable and irritated with restaurants that insist on jackets and ties, especially when they are not doing their part to provide a comfortable climatised environment. We were the first to be placed in our dining room that evening. It was the larger one of the two and in my opinion, the preferable one to be seated in. The room was stifling hot when we arrived dressed in our jackets and ties. Once at the table, I requested to remove my jacket so I wouldn't become prostrate with heat (I was already), and was politely told that that simply was "not possible". They offered to open the one window that could (two couldn't) and cracked it open about 6 inches, I believe its maximum opening capacity. The sun was beating in through all the windows. As other diners arrived, they also began to audibly protest. They lowered some sun shades but that was the most they were willing to do. It remained uncomfortable throughout the evening and it hugely detracted from the enjoyment.
I understand why restaurants use these schemes; they're afraid that if they relax the rules at all, they will soon have customers in torn blue jeans. But this hot night required some flexibility for their male GUESTS, who all arrived in jackets and ties as had been requested.
In my opinion, this place is just TOO CONSTIPATED to figure out that CUSTOMERS COME FIRST!

3  Thank David S

Reviewed 21 July 2013

Hors d'oeuvres were served in a sitting room where the chairs and sofas had not been replaced since Sir William Wallace was on the loose. No one in our party of four could find a comfortable place to sit while enjoying our pre-dinner drinks and appetizers. Jacket and tie are required but there is neither air conditioning nor fans in the sweltering dining room. I love to dine while perspiration runs down my face! The food was good but definitely not great. An overpriced experience. There is a Rolls Royce in the driveway and the owners seem to be very pleased with themselves. God knows why.

3  Thank Timinator1975
Reviewed 7 July 2013

We were graciously greeted when we stopped by the day before to make a reservation since we were not guests at the hotel. We were given a choice of the lobby sitting area or a parlor. I guess I should have looked at both before we were seated. The lobby was so beautiful, I selected that, but later saw the beautiful views from the parlor. Next time! The food was excellent and the sandwich and homemade crisps was a generous serving. I also had the tea and scone which was well presented and excellent tasting. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 15 June 2013

We popped in to ask whether we could pop in for a drink and the reception we received was awful. I didn't think Scotland was snooty (I'm from Sussex originally, where it can be!!) but the few seconds we were here, the guy had an attitude!

6  Thank Sophie W
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Great food - not a great fusion of flavours to be truthful - but it's honest, high quality local ingredients ticking the boxes for the Michelin inspectors. The hot cranachan souffle was the highlight for me, whilst the rest of the £67.00 dinner menu was good, if not kicking butts.

Then the rest. If you want an olde fashionede castle, where you expect the ill-tempered laird to pop his head around one of the equally olde fashionede dining rooms - then you are going to love this joint.

The atmosphere is a bit stiff and I'll be honest, I didn't find the staff on duty during our culinary outing to be especially friendly. Then there is the insane rule that all males must be trussed up in a jacket and tie at dinner. I can go to three stars establishments in London or throughout France without being trussed up. I can wear a very nice linen suit from Milano and an open neck shirt and no-one complains. Except here. You lot need to get a grip and spring yourself into the 21st century. I complied of course, but it was the most hideous tie I could find - shame it didn't light up.

For the area (just outside a debacle of a town with a by-pass through it rather than around it), it is very expensive; for a three course one star dinner, from £64 - without envrions taken into account - good value I suppose.

Factor in the atmosphere - or to be precise lack of it, some staff showing passive aggressiveness (yes, they did and I have 3 others who will concur) and the olde fashionede rooms and rather expensive drinks - there are better places to spend your hard earned cash. Maybe not in Fort William - but not that far away.

Such a shame the food is so excellent and the rest of the experience so lame. Might have been better with a flashing tie?!!

4  Thank IanCar