“Overpriced” 2 of 5 bubbles

Good for: View
Edinburgh
“Overpriced”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2012 via mobile

This is just a review of the food at the conservatory
Please avoid
The food is average to poor and overpriced
Part of our meal just didn't turn up
The part that did turn up was overcooked and we are over £100 poorer for the privilege. (for two)

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Glasgow
“So disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

As we didn't stay in this hotel, but only ate in the conservatory, this is a restaurant review rather than a review of the hotel itself.

First impressions were very good. We took our drinks from the bar and headed out to the conservatory to sit on comfortable chairs overlooking the sea. A great start. Sadly it went downhill from there.

On placing our food order with the waiter I commented that it was rather cold in the conservatory and that the radiators didn't appear to be switched on. On walking through the carpark into the hotel I had noticed a central heating repair van and asked the waiter if there was a problem with the heating. He assured me that there was no problem and that the central heating repair van belonged to a guest. At no point was the heating put on in the time we spent in the conservatory.

To the food. Our starters were ok but nothing to write home about. Mussels for my husband - the smallest mussels ever, and parfait for me - a little too garlicky for my taste, but that's an individual thing. We had both chosen rack of lamb from the menu but there was none left or it wasn't available, and they were offering a piece of fillet instead, both of which we requested medium rare. Mine was quite cold in the centre and really difficult to cut so the waiter took it away to do something with it...I'm not quite sure what. Maybe put it in the microwave. However, it came back warm on the outside and still fairly tepid in the middle, but now with a very tough outer.

I expect by this time the waiter thought I was quite troublesome, but it's very disappointing to spend >£70 on a meal and leave the restaurant feeling let down and unsatisfied, not to mention frozen.

• 3 of 5 bubbles