“best of the rest”

Ranked #14 of 37 Nairn B&B and Inns
Sark, United Kingdom
“best of the rest”
Reviewed 8 September 2011

bed and breakfast but offers more, rooms with stunning decor, fantastic views from the outside veranda with the best nairn has to offer in hopitality. and all for a bargin £45 per night per person dinner bed and breakfast . we only booked for one night but stayed for a week .

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Midlands
Reviewed 3 July 2011

I stopped here on a tour of Scotland. Just what you want when travelling friendly, clean, good home cooked food and decent bar and rooms. Breakfast was lovely to be fair everything was spot on. Location is good. Would stop there again exactly what you need when travelling around.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2010

When I thought I was getting a dirty weekend this was not what I had imagined. The premises look a little neglected from the outside. We had to enter through a run down bar area, wait for some one to see and were shown to our room. The room was basic which is what I would have expected. The Bathrooms were of a good standard but everything seemed grimy. The beds were poorly made and I am afraid my suspicions were that they had been slept in before. We headed out for a walk around the lovely town of nairn then returned to the hotel for a meal. The food was excellent but again the surroundings were dark and dirty, you were constantly being met with the smell of the toilets. The staff were friendly and helpful, although hard to identify as they did not wear any type of uniform all of which seems to complement the shoddiness of the surroundings. "james??" was particularly helpful and offered us advice on days out and attractions in the area. Breakfast was acceptable if not a little neglectful, the adjoining coffee shop was a nice little idea; The plusses were Location, Parking and Food. Just feels as though the whole premises are un loved, dirty and perhaps just a hobby? Never properly met the owner whilst there, but from what I am reading just as well!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank unclefester_10
Paderborn, Germany
Reviewed 16 September 2010

great food service and rooms had a great stay enjoyed it very much

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2010

Found the Havelock by chance ? Went to four other Hotels / B&B's all were full and recomended the Havelock .......what a gem. Was made to feel very welcome bar staff very attentive and when we came to eat people were having to wait for tables we were lucky no waiting no fuss we ended up seated next to people that had taken the last room at a previous B&B we had tried and they were recomended here for food and wow the food was great save room for a pudding . if i can i will be coming back ........9/10 sorrry , burnt bacon in the morning .

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
PERTH
Reviewed 11 July 2010

Stayed in this establishment supposedly for 5 nights, arrived on Saturday 10/07/10 after speaking to a barmaid we met with her friend out on the street. She was extremely helpful and recommended the place. Spoke with James in the property who was also extremely helpful and he showed us our room and contacted the boss (Andy) to get us a discount, which was really decent of him. Having been drowned in the pouring rain outside and turned down by loads of B&B's due to no Vacancies, we accepted the room at "face value" and moved our luggage in. I was a little shocked to hear from James that the bill had to be paid up front, which i found to be a bit odd but i obliged due to extreme fatigue. Wrote out a cheque for the whole stay, to a total of £300 for 5 nights in a twin room for me and my 13yr old son. Didnt bother to unpack as we were starving and cold so we went to eat downstairs in the pub. At 9.40pm we returned to our room to enjoy a cup of tea only to find hairy mould in the water that had obviously sat in the kettle for ages as this does not develop overnight, then we realise that the aero chocolate sachets were out of date by a month, the nescafe gold satchets were out of date in 2008!!!!, the bins were full, we had no towels, there was rubbish in the shower in the shape of shampoo bottles etc, and the so called sky tv had 1 channel until the boss had to fix it for us. The room clearly was not cleaned after the previous residents so naturally i complained, twice to no effect. Sunday 11th we ventured down stairs for breakfast to find a side plate with a fork & knife wrapped in a paper napkin awaiting. No sign of fruit juice glasses or cereal bowls as you would naturally find in ANY normal B&B. I asked if there were these options and was told yes. Our glasses for the fruit juice were either a pint glass or a chunky thick coke glass, almost a pint size too. The boss placed the litre carton of fresh orange juice delicately on our table and said help yourselves.
The cereal arrived in the shape of a family sized BOX of kellogs corn flakes and I helped myself to milk which i noticed in a chilled cabinet in a 4 pint bottle!! The cooked food was acceptable as were the tea and coffees. Toast arrived in a buckled shape on a plate, no sign of a toast rack??. No jams or marmalades, nor fresh fruit, grapefruit nor yoghurts or continental options. I asked the boss if the cleaner was on duty on the sunday and he assured me she was and he even said she wasnt very good. I was ever hopeful that our room would improve. We left to go to the beach and returned at midday and still no cleaner in room. We then went to the leisure centre for a swim and returned again at 4pm, still no cleaner so i complained at the bar and James called Andy, the boss to come round to speak to me. He wasnt very happy that I expected my room cleaned and explained to me that he wasnt a hotel and usually only cleaned the rooms when the guests left but would do it for me. I tried to explain that that was part of the service and he didnt like this at all. I said i wasnt happy with the standard of hygiene or cleanliness he was providing so i asked for my cheque back and said that we would go and find somewhere else to stay. I gave Andy the option to visit the trading standards office with me the following morning and he said that i could get my cheque back and leave NOW!! I was informed that i was still due to pay him for the awful night we had experienced to the value of £70. He accused me of trying to sneak out of the property without paying the £70 and whilst i was writing a new cheque for this amount he had the hard neck to take a photo of myself on his iphone. When I asked who he was taking the photo of he said he was only trying to get a signal on his phone!! This is completely illegal to photograph anyone without prior consent so Andy is not very knowledgable about heaps of areas within his own business!! This to me is paranoia as he may have thought that i was going to cancel my cheque and he would have some kinda evidence if he had to pursue me for the money, what a saddo.
So unless you want to have to ask and moan all the time to get what should be expected for the price you have to pay, then do not attend or stay in this establishment!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!

Next stop trading standards to pay a little visit

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
14 Thank purpleron
Glastonbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2010

We only ate there,10 out of 10,service excellent,fast,piping hot,very good value,fills like you have eating.people seams to eat early there,it was packed at six.You have to wait for a table,you have to tell them you are eating.

Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple