“One to remember”

Ranked #1 of 37 Nairn B&B and Inns
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
“One to remember”
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I thought that after returning from our long journey I would put pen to paper for the places that were memorable during my trip and in doing so I started to read the comments left previously by other guests. Having travelled from New Zealand and staying for the second time at Cawdor House over the years I was surprised to see a review that questions the efforts that both Paul and Mairi must have pursued to accommodate another guest at what I could only imagine must have been a difficult time for all concerned. I am sorry that at this difficult and busy time nothing could be done to ease their concerns and I hope they do return to Cawdor House at a later time.

Thankfully our stay was trouble free and this was made even more pleasant by the tentative but non-intrusive care of the Banks Family ran guest house. The convenience of the hotels location to the centre of Nairn and the surrounding areas left us with lots to do and see especially for those quite moments to take in the great Scottish air within the garden. There was nothing more welcome than to return after a day of sightseeing to a friendly smile and nice cup of Scottish tea and good conversation in the dinning room in the evening.

The accommodation was clean and is well presented. The breakfast certainly set you up for the d ay ahead and evening meal left you feeling content ready for what the next day may bring. We enjoyed our time at the guest house and will be returning early next 2013.

Thank you for memorable holiday.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robert E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
London
Reviewed 13 July 2012

It is interesting to read the complimentary comments about Cawdor House where, several months in advance, we booked a 2 day stay in June. Sadly, we were unable to experience the clearly excellent facilities, as our booking was not honoured, and we had to find alternative accommodation at the last minute, which on a busy weekend proved extremely difficult.

Although we had written confirmation from the hotel of our booking dates, they insisted our booking was for other dates, and were reluctant to acknowledge that they had made an error. They did offer to arrange accommodation at another nearby establishment, but it was not of an acceptable standard. They have offered us another stay with a 50% discount, but in view of the way in which they handled this issue, it is the last place in Nairn we would want to stay, should we ever go there again!

Our advice is – double check your booking!

Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank hmsLondon
MairiBanks, Owner at Cawdor House, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
As we do not have a recording of the initial phonecall made by this prospective guest, it is impossible to know who exactly is at fault. However, one of days she thought she had booked had been fully booked for a number of months before her initial contact with us, and so would not have been available for booking. However, clearly there was a problem, and so we went out of our to find her another place to stay so that her holiday could continue. Sadly, this does not appear to have been enough.

P.S. Thank you Tripadvisor for our Certificate of Excellence, which now has pride of place in our hall!
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2012

What can I say about Cawdor House, This has to be the best Guest House in the Highlands, if not the best in Scotland. My husband and I were in the Garden Room it was very clean and furnished to a very high standard, Paul and Mairie were a lovely couple, we had dinner one night and I have to say that Mairie is an amazing cook. It was great listening to Paul talking about the local area. So when we go back to the Highlands of Scotland there will be only one place to stay and that will be Cawdor House, Nairn.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We had a very pleasant stay in this lovely old house. Bedrooms were very comfortable and there is a spacious residents lounge. We received a very friendly welcome and they booked a table for us at a local restaurant `The Classroom`. Breakfast was good and it is recommended for overnight stays and for longer periods.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Cupar, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2012

. Would RECOMMEND A STAY AT CAWDOR HOUSE 110% the rates charged for this accommodation, (we stayed in Super king room ), are great value for money... everything in the room shouted quality.. If I had one tiny comment it would be to have mugs instead of cups in room - but hosts Paul and Marie were so welcoming nothing too much trouble superb freshly cooked breakfast locally sourced close to centre and excellent restaurants the Classroom and Royal Bengal Highly Recommended'

• Stayed June 2012
Glasgow
Reviewed 8 June 2012

I get to stay in a lot of hotels, guest houses and B&Bs thro my employment and have seen allsorts! Cawdor House is a contender for the best place I have stayed in!
I write the review whilst sat on the comfortable sofa in the enormous Superking room on the ground floor. We didn't ask for a groundfloor room but with my friend struggling with stairs at times it was a welcome boost when we arrived.
Friendly welcome, helpful information upon arrival.
The one thing that I find that shines thro is the "no expense spared" on fixtures and fittings, the linens, towels wallcoverings, tiles, you name it just shout at you "quality", no peeling wallpaper or shabby carpets here!
Room has all the facilities expected from a B&B in Scotland, en suite with bath and shower over it, fresh towels daily, room has superkingsize bed, sofa, tea and coffee making facilities and numerous (we counted 5 double) plug sockets.
Despite the house being busy with golfers we were not disturbed by noise from other guests.
Parking is on the street outside but we were always able to get a space in front of the house.
Breakfast was plentiful and kept me going all day.
Wifi was free.
There is a TV lounge with an assortment of books available.
All in all, can't find anything wrong with it and most certainly would return!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fussyfiona
Vancouver Canada
Reviewed 5 June 2012

I stayed there for the full month of September, although it was in 2005.
I found the owners extremely accomdating and friendly. The food was tastey and well prepared.
My room, on the corner overlooking the nearby church was always clean & quiet.
The location is perfect, near the town center, but on a quiet street.
I plan on visiting the Highlands again soon and my first option is to stay at the Cawdor House, this time with my new bride.
I write these comments because I had read a negative one recently and was totaly shocked. This B&B is wonderfull

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank StTrinnean
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nairn
Newton Muthu Hotel
#4 of 9 in Nairn
Culloden House
Culloden House
#1 of 34 in Inverness

Been to Cawdor House? Share your experiences!