“Impressed with Cuisine and Surrounding”
Review of Boath House

and 1 more site!
Boath House
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Nairn
Reviewed 3 May 2013

The food alone deserves its Michelin star. The service was excellent and the surroundings were exquisite.

It was my birthday and as a treat my partner organised a visit to Boath House hotel for lunch

Starters: Jerusalem Artichoke Truffle or Salmon Creme Freche Avruga
Main Course: Roe Deer with Potato, Onion and Chard or Halibut, Mustartd, Chorizo, Fennel
Dessert: Chocolate, Cocoa Nib, Ice Cream

Starter was devine
Main course - Roe Deer was so rich in flavour that it melted in my mouth. Cooked to absolute perfection. Also liked the original onion rings (no batter)
Dessert: Excellent

Cheese board - a well presented board with some local cheese and hotel made chutney

Wine - fantastic

I will be back (however, I am NOT leaving it until my next birthday)

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 April 2013

I thought that we were off to a casual kayaking pub on the West Coast for my birthday and suddenly my husband turned into Boath House - what a lovely surprise (aside from the panic that I only had jeans with me - he'd packed a dress and shoes!). This is our second visit to Boath House but I'm already looking forward to our third! This time, my husband had booked me a facial and massage in the Aveda Spa which was wonderful - candlelit and intimate, I was completely blissed out while he took the dogs for a run on Nairn beach.
We stayed in one of the Orangerie rooms this time which are in the basement but have a little ante room where you can have breakfast (and where your dogs can sleep as they are not allowed in all rooms and you have to sign a 'dog policy' to ensure they don't cause damage). Last time we were in Mickle Cottage which sits on its own opposite the hotel and which I much preferred because it has a lovely big bath as well as a shower. The only disappointment with the Orangerie room was the 'outer section' was really cold and I couldn't get it to warm up so there was no way that we could have breakfasted there although we were quite happy to go to the main restaurant.
The evening dinner was delightful - so full of flavours - every course was mouthwateringly good. The chef there is superb. The menu is set for the evening and, of course, you can let the kitchen know if you have any specific requirements but we love all good food so enjoyed every morsel especially as it was accompanied by a wonderful bottle of Amarone Classico.
The three course breakfast is also just as fabulous. The vegetable juice may sound unappealing to some but it was a delicate blend of flavours that oozed freshness - it was so good that I had two! And the duck eggs with woodland mushrooms - wow, I'm drooling as I type this!
The service, as usual, was friendly and efficient. The setting lovely - I was up early, walking around the lake with the dogs and felt so relaxed that I kept my PJs on (very Romford I know...).
As it's only a two hour trip from us and we can take the dogs, there's no excuse not to go back very soon!

Room Tip: If you have dogs then Mickle Cottage is lovely and allows you privacy plus to take the dogs in and o...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank foxxylizzy
Reviewed 14 April 2013

On a short trip to Scotland for 4 nights decided to book 2 of them here and was very pleased that I did. Very comfortable country house hotel with excellent friendly service. The room was lovely overlooking the front of the hotel. We had booked only one night dinner but they had reserved a table for the second night just in case which is really very good. We had to decide whether we wanted it or not though as they had a waiting list for tables. As it was a 3 AA Rosette restaurant I decided to say yes to the second night even though we hadn't eaten the first night and that was the right decision. I was a little concerned when we were told that dinner was 7pm drinks for 7.30pm dinner as I am not a fan of being limited to when to do what but it was absolutely fine and actually the place had a very good atmosphere with people in the lounges. The set menu/no menu dinner is something I like anyway and the food lived up to its billing. Quite excellent and completely different food the second night apart from, as we were told with a serious apology, the breads may be the same! They were but we enjoyed them the second time just as much as the first. The staff are really excellent, friendly, good, and always making sure everything is ok. Breakfast was lovely too. If I return to the area I don't need to think twice about where to stay and eat.

Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Mike C
ScotlandIndia, General Manager at Boath House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We were delighted that you both decided to dine on the second night of your stay with us. You will know what I mean when I say that good bread is like Amarone Classico; it tastes better on the second day! We look forward to your return visit.

Best,

Jonny.

Reviewed 19 March 2013

Boath House offers the most amazing opportunity to relax and enjoy this part of the country. Lots of privacy aswell as a warm welcome. The rooms are breathtaking and the food s spectacular. Difficult to imagine how it will be possible to enjoy staying anywhere else now!

Room Tip: Each of the rooms has personality but I can recommend the orangerie rooms for those who are looking...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CYounie
ScotlandIndia, Owner at Boath House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2013

Thank you very much for leaving such a great review - the Orangerie rooms are very contemporary and because they are in the basement with glazed conservatory areas they do give extra privacy for private dining at breakfast time. We look forward to welcoming you back to Boath House at some point in the future.

Reviewed 9 March 2013

So hard to put into words just how perfect our stay was at Boath House. From the moment we arrived the service we received was second to none. I began my career in luxury hotels and the Boath team have pitched it just right - professional, warm, knowledgable and clearly passionate about the property, it's cuisine and the beauty of the area.

We stayed in the master bedroom with its splendid double bath tubs and fabulous view of the lake. Dinner each night was as good as any fine London restaurant without any of the fuss. Perfecto. Wine list also excellent and some real treats if you want to indulge.

On our first full day we decided to head right up to the north west coast and Cape Wrath. A big ol drive but we lucked out with beautiful sunshine all the way (not bad for the middle of January!). To keep us refilled the hotel put a picnic together for us, including a delicious soup to stave off the cold. The road trip was so worth it....the wilderness was simply breathtaking.

Do pamper yourself with a massage too, the treatment rooms in the cellar are so cosy and womb like, we both instantly drifted off into a heavenly slumber. Our therapist was charming as well.

We decided to let the train take the strain to get us there, catching the Caledonian Sleeper which gets you in to Inverness at 8am. The hotel were totally accommodating with our early arrival and breakfast for 2 was waiting for us despite breakfast service being over. It meant we had a full day to explore and none of the hassle of flying to get up there. Sadly the Easyjet flight coming home wasn't as romantic, but there you go...

Without doubt one of the best luxury escapes I've had in a while and I've been recommending Boath to anyone who will listen ever since. Go....

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of the lake should definitely be considered
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NathanH20

Wow, looks like we did OK! Thank you so much for the great review. So glad you managed to get and about and enjoy some of the wonderful Highland scenery. With so much more to see, we look forward to welcoming you back to get another taste of the Highlands magic.
kind Regards

Reviewed 17 February 2013

We were given a Christmas present of afternoon tea at Boath House and I can think of no better gift to give someone. We went on my husband's birthday at the end of January. We were greeted at the door and escorted into the lounge where a with a lovely open fire. The menu was brought and we chose our sanwich. We were then taken to the dining room. The sandwich was substantial and delicious. Good choice of fillings. This was followed by a warm scone with cream and jam and a delectable pear gateau. The service was excellent. I would have liked a second cup of coffee but this was not offered, but perhaps that was just a bit greedy! Most enjoyable afternoon.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review of afternoon tea at Boath - so pleased you enjoyed the experience and that the Christmas present was put to good use!
We would of course have been delighted to offer you more coffee if you had wanted it - will remember to aks next time!
As you are local, keep an eye out for our afternoon teas served in the garden on several dates during the summer.
We look forward to seeing back at Boath soon.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 15 February 2013

Do you want to stay somewhere that feels like you've moved into Downton Abbey? If so the Boath House Hotel will give you a small glimpse of what it could feel like to live like Lord Grantham.

We stayed between Xmas and New Year for a quick break from the family whilst they looked after our 2 year old boy.

On arrival we drove up the long drive to the front door to be greeted by one of the team. Whilst tea was served to us in front of a roaring fire our bags were take to the room and our car driven to the hotel car park. Only after we'd finished our tea were we asked to sign the visitor book (no silly formal hotel forms & credit card swipes here) and take to our room.

Glorious in size and decor with views over the lake the 4 poster bed was a welcome sight.

Dressed for dinner we arrived for drinks before each group of guests were taken through to the restaurant. The food and wine was superb and served in a relaxed yet formal atmosphere - we loved it!

After a great night's sleep, newspapers & tea in bed we returned to the dining room for breakfast where I opted for the smoked haddock which was a lovely light start to the day and accompanied by unusual twists on normal breakfast fare.

A great stay enhanced by personal attention from the owners and one I would wholeheartedly recommend to the discerning traveller.

If this review was helpful please click the 'helpful' button - thank you.

Room Tip: We loved the lake view room
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank PhilTwyford

Thank you for your recent review. We are truly in esteemed company being compared to Downton Abbey, especially as we had a themed exclusive use Downton party this winter.
It just goes to show that you can enjoy all the luxuries of a hotel with a two year old!
Look forward to your return.
Kind Regards
Wendy

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nairn
Newton Muthu Hotel
#5 of 36 in Inverness
The Clubhouse Hotel
The Clubhouse Hotel
#6 of 9 in Nairn

Been to Boath House? Share your experiences!