All reviewsmichelin starwalled gardenduck eggroecourse menufoie grasafternoon teacountry housemolton brown toiletriespre dinner drinksset menuroll top bathwine liston arrivaldining experienceporridgedining room
Reviewed 16 August 2008

We recently spent two days at Boath House and found it to be the most charmingly ecclectic hotel we have ever visited. The house itself is not too large and has been made to feel more like a very familiar family home rather than a hotel.
The food is simply outstanding, some of the best we have ever eaten, and served in a relaxed but service orientated way.
We were particularly impressed with the kitchen gardens and the obvious pride taken in serving homegrown produce.
The staff were all local and from our greeting on the doorstep to a final friendly chat on the portico were attentive and keen to ensure that we made the most of our stay in the area.
Rarely have we ever been made to feel more welcome in a hotel!!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Oranges46
Reviewed 21 June 2008

We stayed at Boath House for a couple of nights having largley been seduced by the picture of the twin baths on the website.

Expecting a warm welcome, we were let in by the cleaner with no sign of anyone else around. Be prepared to be questioned if you ask for a key - " we don't do keys round here" was the reply. They did relent and gave us a key when we insisted, although it went missing the following morning at which point, we'd given up asking.

The ambience is intimate to say the least - however, intimate with everyone else in the hotel. Breakfast, if we're completely honest, is painful. The a la carte menu is stuck rigidly to with no allowances for dietary preferences. A request for porridge with water was met with a derisory smirk and a comment that it's " it's got everything in it", the inference being that you either did it Don's way or no way. The lack of music also made things awkward as you could hear every other conversation in the restaurant and were forced to talk in whispers. What with that and the clinking of spoons on the plate, we couldn't wait to get out of there in the mornings. To be fair, the food is good (although rich) and the evening meal was not as awkward (probably given fact that everyone had had a bottle of wine by half eight (that being because you could only have dinner between 8 and 8.30 (we're not joking).

We're not saying it's bad by any means but it's certainly overpriced (we paid over a grand for 3 nights) and for what we were looking for (i.e. intimate, boutiquey romantic hideaway) it just missed the mark by a long way.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Scrabble33
Reviewed 19 June 2008

My partner and I recently returned from a 9 day trip to the UK, during which we stayed 5 nights in London and 3 nights in Scotland. We stayed at the Le Meridien Piccadilly in London and chose the Boath House for our 3 nights in Scotland. We were visiting family and friends in London and wanted to have a romantic sojourn in Scotland, while visiting whisky distilleries and some sights in the Highlands. A friend of ours in London also joined us and stayed at the Boath House. (Originally, it was supposed to be he and his boyfriend, who unfortunately couldn't join us last-minute due to his job.)

For the record, I've stayed numerous times in Scotland, including stays at the Caledonian Hilton and the Balmoral in Edinburgh. As a whisky fanatic, I have always stayed at the Craigellachie Hotel in Speyside, about 30 minutes away from the Boath House, whenever I've been in the Highlands. On this trip, however, the Craigellachie was full. So, after a length search online and a few email exchanges with some people at places like the Glemorangie House (another place I considered), I settled on the Boath House. Please understand that we usually stay in suites at luxury hotels such as the Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, Ritz-Carleton, etc., as well as numerous boutique luxury properties around the world. We had high expectations for the Boath House despite the fact that the Scottish Highlands are not known for such luxury.

We were not disappointed! Unlike the other reviewer, we knew what we were getting and were absolutely delighted. We were looking for an intimate, charming, small boutique property in the Highlands, preferably offering a suite of some sort and also the chance for excellent dining. Please understand that the boutique luxury options in the Scottish Highlands are few and far between, and I believe the Boath House is an outstanding option. I suspect the previous reviewer has not sampled the many options in the Scottish Highlands and doesn't quite know how good the Boath House really is.

The main house is absolutely lovely--a true Georgian manor home, restored wonderfully, in our opinion. We elected to stay in the caretaker's cottage, a separate building altogether, so we could have as much privacy as possible. Our friend stayed in one of the regular rooms in the main house. His room was small but intimate, well-equipped for a rural country inn type accommodation, and he said his bed was very comfortable. Our room had a lovely living room, a separate bedroom with a similarly comfortable bed, and a large bathroom equipped with both shower and separate lounging tub. Other than a few issues with an occasional power outage, we loved our rooms.

Service was excellent. The owner, himself, came down to fix our electrical outage problem, which didi happen a few times because of recent rains. Normally, I'm annoyed at such problems at major hotels, but I find myself taking such issues in stride more when I'm in such rural surroundings. The issue was handled very quickly, which helped dispel any annoyance for me.

We had no issues with our keys, nor did our friend. We were greeted upon arrival by a staff member with our keys, and she escorted us all to our rooms. She showed us how to operate everything and how the place "worked" so to speak. We were reminded again that dinner seating occured between 8:00-8:30 pm, something I already knew from my requests for information from the property. (Perhaps the previous reviewer should be more careful to ask questions and understand the type of property this is! When staying at a property with only 8 rooms, you can't exactly expect 24 hour room service, after all!)

The restaurant is amazing. We dine at some of the best restaurants in the USA and abroad whenever we travel, and we were quite impressed with the meals. We found the 5 course dinners (included in the room rate, by the way) to be fantastic. Once, there was something that I wasn't fond of included in the pre-fixe menu, and they were gracious enough to change that to something more to my liking--unlike the previous reviewer said. We also enjoyed the breakgfasts immensely, being "breakfast people." I am a hearty eater, belying the fact that I'm thin, and I asked for 8 poached eggs for breaktast each morning. Trust me--that's an oddity in the UK (and even in the USA!). Without fail, they prepared them for me as quickly as possible, quite a feat, indeed, knowing the size of the kitchen!

We were mildly annoyed that there was a corkage fee for trying to drink one of our bottles of whisky we had purchased earlier that day in the living room prior to dinner. That was a bit dumb. But that's a small boutique property for you. We made sure to take our pre-dinner drinks first in our living room, before making our way to the living room of the main house to get a pre-dinner drink officially!

All in all, we loved our stay there at the Boath House. In the end, my partner ended up proposing to me on our last night--ironically, exactly one week prior to the California Supreme Court deciding that gay marriage should be legal in California where we live. The owner and staff discovered the engagement and were all gracious, congratulatory, and lovely--offering us complimentary champagne, as well.

The staff was also lovely when helping us to prepare for our whisky distillery visits. I already knew the areas quite well from previous trips, but the staff and even the owner tried very hard to make sure we were comfortable with our directions and plans.

We will definitely return to the Boath House. For those looking for a boutique/romantic small inn experience in the Highlands, and/or a spectacular dining experience, we highly recommend the Boath House!

4  Thank BillR2390
Reviewed 30 May 2008

I booked for valentine's day and was not disappointed. The welcome from the staff was very warm and welcoming.

The house has been restored to a amazing standard and has a great setting with nice garden and pond.

The room was first class with large fire place and bathroom with two baths and a view of the garden and pond.

The food and service was of the finest quality and the staff and owners could not do enough to make your stay a good one.

well worth the drive.

Stayed: February 2008
Reviewed 30 April 2008

Boath House is a beautiful country house with wonderful grounds and situated close to Nairn's beaches, the Culloden battlefield and a noisy A road. Whilst the welcome was warm from Jonny the conceirge/butler this was not replicated by the other members of staff.
We stayed in one of the new 'Conservatory rooms' which are essentially converted basement rooms with minimal natural light. The room smelt slightly damp and came with a twin bed - although the beds were joined, this was disappointing given this is such a popular honeymoon destination.

Upon unpacking we discovered a frog in the room and although he was promptly removed we didn't get an apology - instead "It's our first of the year".

Breakfast was included but didn't do enough to make this a value-for-money stay. It should be said that although the five-course menu has had great reviews I found the vegetarian options very unimaginative and bland. Good wine list however.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank withnails